I am an intermediate guitarist and i would like to buy a bass. I play hard rock/metal. Any suggestions for which bass to buy? Budget is around £250
do you have an amp already? or any favorite bands? because rock and metal are very versatile styles.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
do you have an amp already? or any favorite bands? because rock and metal are very versatile styles.

I got given a little peavey starter amp which i'll keep for a bit. As for bands; Metallica, Dream Theater, AC/DC, Pantera, Machine Head. And some older stuff like The Who or Led Zep. I could do with a versitile bass
Squier VM Jazz, will do those styles quite well
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.
Squier VM Jazz, will do those styles quite well

Yes, Jazz basses are great for any heavy music.
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Quote by FenderAmpeg93

the Fender basses are both good for any type of music, man. Stock stereotyping basses.

In anycase: the Jazz'll give you more attack and cut while the Precision will give you more umph and thump.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by FenderAmpeg93

I dont know wether your kidding or not.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by matt_0_5
Thanks for the advice guys. What are the Ibanez and ESP basses like?

Well, Ibanez basses definitely seem more popular than ESPs.
For intermediate priced Basses, do check out Ibanez, Traben, Schecter(For around 500$, you could potentially pick up the Stiletto Elite) and perhaps Warwick RockBasses(I've never played one, so I won't wholeheartedly recommend one, but I've heard that they're quite solid). Perhaps a low-end or second hand Fender would suit your needs as well.
Hi.
Last edited by David12390 at Jan 27, 2009,
I would venture a Schecter, it gets a low pump that is a bit better at the ACDC (or Dream Theatre) style hard rock than a jazz IMO. if you do lean more the Zeppelin sound and style however, the jazz is a great option.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom