I think there really kl but i dont know much about them so im askin if u cud post sum pics of yours nd price wat uve paid.

cheers
@jecox ssssoooo ssweeeet that whole set up is so sweet. If I had any distortion/delay setup it would be the akai headrush and BM. Awesome set up.

pretty good sounding amp, got the halfstack for 279.99.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

nice gd 2 c quick replys

btw u no theres that marshall 15w stack! can u just buy the head?
@jecox ssssoooo ssweeeet that whole set up is so sweet. If I had any distortion/delay setup it would be the akai headrush and BM. Awesome set up.

Quote by jecox13
nice gd 2 c quick replys

btw u no theres that marshall 15w stack! can u just buy the head?

You don't want to do that, even if you could.

Switchable down to 7watts... $400 used;
nice little setup u hav there

im getting a mim strat next week

r those valve juniors any good?
i heard u can mod em?

Quote by jecox13
r those valve juniors any good?
i heard u can mod em?

Yeah, they're pretty good.
They're not like "OMG AWESOME AMP!!", but they're good for the price.

And yeah, there's tons of mods out for them.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
EDIT: Nevermind, that's 15 watts I think. I can't remember...
Last edited by Mitchell? at Jan 27, 2009,
what about those harley bentons off thoman any1 got 1

Quote by darkarbiter7

+1

There a fun amp if your looking for something to mod and tinker with. Other then that I would avoid them. Had mine for about a week and sold it lol
First off, please learn how to type, your grammar is extremely painful to read.

Second, only 5 watt amp I'd ever consider:

(Invalid img)

Cornford Harlequin, about 1500 dollars US.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
i love the VJ it's a fun little amps to mod and love's pedals mine has a few mods and i play thru a celestion g12k.
Quote by darkarbiter7

I bought the combo version off ebay for a good price and to be honest: It is bad. Really bad. The clean sound is too dark (even for a 'british' voiced amp) and the overdrive is pretty much useless. You can get a half decent blues tone if you don't turn it up too much, but if I turn up the volume more than 2/3, it's just a mess, way too muddy to be used for anything.
The cleans get better with a treble booster, albeit it sounds a tiny bit stiff then. I have not found a way to use the amp's overdrive properly yet. I'm just glad I have a multi effects pedal, otherwise I'd not use the amp at all.

I heard a lot of good things about modding and there's some videos on youtube that show that it can sound damn good after an upgrade or two.

Without modding, it's garbage though. Modelling combos in the Epis price range do the job better I think.

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
I don't think that Harely Benton is good.

They're pretty much the same as Epi Valve Juniors.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jan 27, 2009,
Quote by TheQuailman
I bought the combo version off ebay for a good price and to be honest: It is bad. Really bad. The clean sound is too dark (even for a 'british' voiced amp) and the overdrive is pretty much useless. You can get a half decent blues tone if you don't turn it up too much, but if I turn up the volume more than 2/3, it's just a mess, way too muddy to be used for anything.
The cleans get better with a treble booster, albeit it sounds a tiny bit stiff then. I have not found a way to use the amp's overdrive properly yet. I'm just glad I have a multi effects pedal, otherwise I'd not use the amp at all.

I heard a lot of good things about modding and there's some videos on youtube that show that it can sound damn good after an upgrade or two.

Without modding, it's garbage though. Modelling combos in the Epis price range do the job better I think.

I like the head version better. The 8" speaker holds back it's potential a bit.
If plugged into a good cab, I quite liked it.
I could see how the combo version wouldn't sound too hot.

A tube swap always helps too.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by TheQuailman

You're not alone. I was considering one for a new amp. I played it and did this, "Wtf, I thought these were supposed to be good?"

On the modding point, I will not mod an amp that is bad to try to make it good. I'll mod an amp that's good to make it better.

EDIT: Wes: The one I tried was newer so it probably had JJs, and it was a head and cab Now, your GA5 is the ****, that's something I'd definitely consider.
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Jan 27, 2009,
Quote by darkarbiter7
I like the head version better. The 8" speaker holds back it's potential a bit.
If plugged into a good cab, I quite liked it.
I could see how the combo version wouldn't sound too hot.

A tube swap always helps too.

I'll get a new 2x12" cab soon, so I 'll try that. I have the feeling the original speaker can't handle higher volumes well.

Quote by Kevin Saale
On the modding point, I will not mod an amp that is bad to try to make it good. I'll mod an amp that's good to make it better.

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. I got the Epi for cheap though and because it's a really simple amp, I thought It'd be good for some first modding tries.
I'd not buy a new one though (well, the head, maybe).
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jan 27, 2009,
Quote by TheQuailman
I'll get a new 2x12" cab soon, so I 'll try that. I have the feeling the original speaker can't handle higher volumes well.

Yeah, the stock speaker is rather shoddy sounding.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Kevin Saale
First off, please learn how to type, your grammar is extremely painful to read.

Second, only 5 watt amp I'd ever consider:

(Invalid img)

Cornford Harlequin, about 1500 dollars US.

it's pretty obvious if the only 5 watter you would play is the 6 WATT cornford................it's a pretty safe bet your not going to like the sound of a $100 VJ head. and yes speaker changes make a huge difference.
I don't think price dictates how an amp sounds. My BJr is about double the price of a VJ head and cab new and i think it sound more than twice as good.

Personally, the cornford is hugely overpriced (in the US) although it does sound quite amazing.

If I could try the amp modded and with a different speaker that'd be one thing, but if I don't like it at all in it's stock state I have no way of knowing how I'll like it modded.
I had fun modding mine for a while. I had the combo version. The mods are pretty cheep if you buy the parts yourself. Just a few euros for some caps and resistors. I never changed the output transformer as I had the combo and that mod was supposed to help with the bass. I could not see the 8 inch speaker in the combo ever producing much bass. After the mods it was an OK blue/ rock amp. Before I modded the amp it was pretty muddy and lack any kind of sparkle. I would agree with Kevin about many amps be much better. I owned a Cube 60 at the same time as the VJ I could get similar tone with the Cube 60 using the Tweed setting and seting the drive just right. The Cube 60 sounded better for its larger speaker and was far more controlable than the VJ. I still miss my Cube 60 even though I now have a Traynor YCV 20.
Quote by TheQuailman
I bought the combo version off ebay for a good price and to be honest: It is bad. Really bad. The clean sound is too dark (even for a 'british' voiced amp) and the overdrive is pretty much useless. ....

head and combo and like night and day, imo.

the head which i got for $99 was great for the price.
i have pedals too, so that helps. but running it thru a couple of 1x12s, makes all the difference.

i tried the combo at around the same time i bought this, and i never would have bought it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
it's a lopoline empty cab got for a hundred bucks.

then i changed the epi's cover color to match.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

thanks i guess
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

3w/5w switchable. Great tone and killer sound.

$260 for the halfstack.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212