So, I was reading through the lesson section of UG and i found a lesson on muting unused strings.

R/L Muting

I pretty much understand it, but my only question is how do i mute the unused strings on chords? Some can go without muting certain strings, but on other chords, like, lets say this one:

e 0
B 10
G 9
D 11
A 0
E 0
(I think thats right... Idk.)

You (I, anyway...) use my middle finger on the 10th fret on B string, index on 9th, G, and ring on 11, D.

So I cant use my index, or any others, for that matter, to mute the unused strings, and if i dont mute them at all, but accidently hit one, it sounds like ****.

I can't figure out how to mute the unused ones with my right hand, so can you tell me what I'm doing wrong, or maybe what I'm not doing at all?

Thanks.
With enough money saved you will buy a new straw skirt and coconut bikini, a airplane ticket back to civilization and a large Mesa Boogie amp and a Gibson Explorer and shred the faces off with METALLICA!

lean the fingers of your fretting hand over strings that you want to mute, taking care not to press them down. Basically just mute the other strings with the other parts of your fingers i.e. not the tips
Instead of using your index, middle and ring fingers, shift it all down a finger and play like a bar chord. Just mute with the index and play with the middle, ring and pinky.
One way is to play that with pinky on 11, ring finger on 9 and middle finger on 10 and use index finger to mute. Or alternatively using your fingering you can mute E and A with your right hand and use index finger to mute the high E.
You could anchor, which would mute the high e. Anchoring is where you hold onto a string, knob, pickup or just the guitar body with your pinky of the picking hand. Some say it's a bad habit, as far as who does and doesn't anchor it's split about 50:50 with pros.

Then all you have to do is mute the bottom 3 (EAD) with your palm.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Okay.... Thats all workin good, I only found one problem with the technique where you use the index finger to mute. That doesnt work (For me, anyway) on some chords. Like open G Major (Ibelieve thats the name...) :
e 3
B 3
G 0
D 0
A 2
E 3
(That one i can just use G Maj-Barre shape, instead though...)

and B.
With enough money saved you will buy a new straw skirt and coconut bikini, a airplane ticket back to civilization and a large Mesa Boogie amp and a Gibson Explorer and shred the faces off with METALLICA!