Hello everyone!

I've been playing guitar about a year, and I love it!

But I was just wondering, how do I become a better musician? I find it quite easy to learn songs, but I don't think I have the knowledge to actually CREATE a song. I listen to alot of Muse, Rage Against The Machine and Radiohead, and I just feel anything I do pails in comparison.

I'd love to be able to sing, and to get myself in a band.
So, all in all, what can I do to become better at the things I love? My guitar teacher says I've progressed very well in a year, but I feel like I want to get to the next level... If that makes sense.

So, any advice would be appreciated! If the above article was too vague, please, don't be afraid to ask me to clarify!
Now is a good time to start alternate picking. There are many lessons available here for that.
Quote by Slash42x
Now is a good time to start alternate picking. There are many lessons available here for that.

I'd assume that if he has a teacher he's already alternate picking. Ask your teacher?
if you're trying to write songs then just start writing them. i think i started writing random stuff after playing for about 6 months. don't worry if your first 100 or more songs aren't "original" sounding or just sound terrible. try to write stuff you like for beginners, the more you work at it the better they'll sound.
^^ what Z4 said;

My old songs are ****eeeeee lolzz.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??