Page 1 of 2
I've got my mind set on having 4 2x10 bass cabs but i dont understand ohms etc. i want 2x10 so i can practice with 1 cab and gig with more eventuly i want 4.
please help coz i am really confused

Peace
Quote by Indiemad
I've got my mind set on having 4 2x10 bass cabs but i dont understand ohms etc. i want 2x10 so i can practice with 1 cab and gig with more eventuly i want 4.
please help coz i am really confused

Peace

Ohmage works sort've like fractions.

Most 2x10 cabs are 8 ohms, two 8 ohm cabs are equivelent to 4 ohms. So if you have 4 2x10 cabs you get 2 ohms, a fair few heads tend not to work with that low ohmage, but if they do they put out more power. Which then means you have to make sure the cabs can handle it.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
So if you match them up in series, with two outputs i think you could run them as two stacks at 4 ohms. Youre best bet6 is too get a two channel power amp and a pre, and match them toghether. Im going to say that this isnt very expersive. Cani ask why 4 2x10's and not some 15's or a 4x10.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
its coz i don't want to use a 4x10 for practicing with. do you think i could use 1 4x10 and 1 2x10?
Ya you could do that fine, what head are you going to use. That would really help. But why cant you practise with a 4x10, theres a volume knob for a reason.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Indiemad
its coz i don't want to use a 4x10 for practicing with. do you think i could use 1 4x10 and 1 2x10?

Yea but it's redundant. Why not a 2x12 or something instead?
Just buy a 4x10 and turn the volume down. FFS I practice with an 8x10 and I don't bother people unless i mean to.
For alot of peolpe though an 8x10 is difficult to move and store, for me however im confindebt i could move two if i ever owned two.

A 4x10 and 2x10 isnt reduntant at all, its basically a 6x10, but could be easier o move etc. theres lots of reasons to go that way.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
thanks. i don't know what head to use either. what setups would you use??? what should i buy. i don't have lots in the bank but i as long as it doesnt cost alot. any sugestions
Well, how much do you think you have to spend. Personnally i would add some 15s in there.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I'm not saying get an 8x10, I'm just saying that simply because a cab as a whole slew of speakers doesn't mean that its necessarily going to be loud. I'd also, if I was in his position, get a 6x10 if he really wants six speakers. Rolling cabs are 100% awesomeness. We have an easier time moving my 8x10 around on stage than we do with our guitar player's stacks, cause we just tilt it back and go on about our way.

Edit: If you're looking for a Head you can't really go wrong with Gallien-Kreuger or Hartke for entry level stuff. Mark Bass makes some really good lightweight heads that are pretty powerful for their size, and reliable to boot. My buddy uses exclusively aguilar stuff, but they don't have any in Tampa, so I can't say anything one way or the other. Carvin is a decent manufacturer from what I've heard too.
Last edited by sloasdaylight at Jan 27, 2009,
Just wondering does that hartke 8x10 have two inputs on it.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Nah, its got one input at 8 ohms. Not exactly what I was looking for, but it works, and it was $300, so I didn't complain.
i could go with a 6x10 to start and then maybe add more as i go. I'm still not sure with heads. any good brands that you have used.
What, so its an 8 ohm 8x10, so you mean you only using like 200 watts from your head.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Right hartke, peavey, ashdown, trace elliot are all really good, Head down to you local music store to check them out, Theres some really good places in london too. Bass gallery etc.
How big a crowd will you be playing, cause you seem to want big, a 6x10 will do most stages you know.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Its 240 comin through my head now, yea, its not the 350 that its advertised at. Like I said though, the cab was $300, which was way better than anything else out there, so I'm dealing with it now. I still move more than enough air to come through well in just about every venue.
Thats cool enough.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
well i have only just started with my band and we are going to play local clubs and local festivals etc.
Quote by Indiemad
well i have only just started with my band and we are going to play local clubs and local festivals etc.

A 6x10 should be more than enough for that then. I'd think at some point about getting a 1x15, or maybe a 2x15 to help your low end really rumble out, but that's down the line.
Ya a single 4x10 will do you most likely. Im going to put a Ashdown mag 600r througha 4x10 for the most part. Thats 350 watts which will do me. Also youll be doing lots of moving im guessing so it will be easier. 400 watts would be really nice for you. Maybe a Mag 600 same as me.
How much do you have to spend????
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Well, youll want a bridgeable 4 ohm head im guessing. Which 6x10 are you getting. 600 watts would be nice. Plenty of head room. Hm maybe a Hartke lh 500 for something brighter, a Peavey tour 750 for some thump. Have a look around.

500 is defiantly enough, but only if its 500 for the head and not bothe the head and cab.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Last edited by fatgoogle at Jan 27, 2009,
That would be fine, thats what im doing.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Ya, the only thing that might be a problem is you cant adjust the tweeter. Add a 15 later.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
A 15" cab is what i meant.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/75524
and
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/vx-410/12949
this is new for a bit over 500, but could be got second hand for cheaper.

The peavey tour will also do you, i think im getting a tvx 4x10 for my 4x10, so there fairly good.

get this setup, it's exactly what i use and trust me it could blow the front door off your house if it wanted to. it's loud and it sounds fantastic. i will say that the XV4x10 is a bitch to move on your own, or i'm a total weakling. not quite sure there.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by Indiemad
if i was to have a 500watt head but put it into a 400watt cab would the head send too much power to the cab or would it be fine???

if you run the LH500 into 1 8 ohm cabinet it will only put out 350 watts, which is still easily enough to gig with
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Page 1 of 2