im curious is it possible wihtout to much modifacation to put some better pickups on it?
It's possible to put better pickups in it and easy as long as the new pickups are the same dimensions, but honestly I wouldn't bother. Upgrading an Epiphone EB3 is a waste of money.(no offense)
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Quote by FenderAmpeg93
It's possible to put better pickups in it and easy as long as the new pickups are the same dimensions, but honestly I wouldn't bother. Upgrading an Epiphone EB3 is a waste of money.(no offense)

Why? I don't understand why putting good pickups ina cheap bass would be bad, surely you would get quality tone for less money.
Quote by Spaz91
Why? I don't understand why putting good pickups ina cheap bass would be bad, surely you would get quality tone for less money.

No, because pickups only change a tiny amount of your sound.

In order of tone effecting, it goes:

Amp > Bass > Strings > Pickups.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
No, because pickups only change a tiny amount of your sound.

In order of tone effecting, it goes:

Amp > Bass > Strings > Pickups.

I see, so why would I pay more than, say, £400 for a bass when the only thing that really makes a difference is reliabilty?
Quote by Spaz91
I see, so why would I pay more than, say, £400 for a bass when the only thing that really makes a difference is reliabilty?

You're paying for name, reliability, tone, features, quality of wood.

Alright, you buy a Fender Precision. It has an Alder body, Maple neck, Rosewood fretboard, nickelsilver frets, trussrod, passive tone control, fender p pickup.

It doesn't have any of the following. Ovangkol body, maple body, ash body, Afzelia body, walnut body, mahogany core with maple cap body. It doesn't have a wenge neck, a 9 piece laminated neck through made with walnut, ovangkol and maple. It doesn't have a wenge fretboard, pau ferro, bloodwood. It doesn't have bell brass frets. It doesn't have a two way adjustable trussrod. It doesn't have an active EQ. It doesn't have a coil split humbucker and a noiseless jazz pickup.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
It doesn't have any of the following. Ovangkol body, maple body, ash body, Afzelia body, walnut body, mahogany core with maple cap body. It doesn't have a wenge neck, a 9 piece laminated neck through made with walnut, ovangkol and maple. It doesn't have a wenge fretboard, pau ferro, bloodwood. It doesn't have bell brass frets. It doesn't have a two way adjustable trussrod. It doesn't have an active EQ. It doesn't have a coil split humbucker and a noiseless jazz pickup.

Luckily for me I dont have expensive tastes, I'd be perfectly happy with a MIM Standard Jazz, it has all that I need and it's relatively cheap. My current bass (a Squier) has an active EQ and I honestly cant see the attraction; like you said, most tone comes from the amp. The only thing stopping me from sticking with my current bass is the reliability and the won't change much >£400.

I think we may have gone off topic slightly...
Last edited by Spaz91 at Jan 27, 2009,