In a few months I'll be having a 50w Soldano copy built for me. It's the same guy who built the amp I used when we were in the recording studio, and it has the exact tone I'm looking for. Anyway, since I have a combo right now I'm going to need to pick up a cab once I get the new head. I know the differences between cab brands generally aren't as big as the difference between amp brands, but I was wondering which ones to look at.

I'll be picking up a 2x12 as I have no need or space for a 4x12. I'm already looking at Orange, Mesa, Marshall cabs and I was wondering what people's opinions were on them.

Thanks in advance.
Good music is good music...everything else can go to hell

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Avatar G212H (1xG12H30 1xAlnico Gold)
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
avatar makes really good cheap cabs
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Quote by spiff389
avatar makes really good cheap cabs

+1, but with that being said, (if you have more money) an Orange 2x12 would slaughter a Marshall 4x12 any day of the week.
If money is not a big hindrance, get an Orange 2x12 and you will be very happy.
Quote by AJS19
+1, but with that being said, (if you have more money) an Orange 2x12 would slaughter a Marshall 4x12 any day of the week.

agreed. orange makes fantastic cabs, a bit pricey, but worth it.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Port City.

Read a few comparos, port city has dominated all so far.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Port City.

Read a few comparos, port city has dominated all so far.

never heard of them, but after checking out their site, $450 for an unloaded 1x12 is a bit much, don't you think ?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
i have an orange 2x12 and absolutely love it, highly recommended.
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Definately Port City! Or the Orange..
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Quote by mikeyElite
never heard of them, but after checking out their site, $450 for an unloaded 1x12 is a bit much, don't you think ?

Depends how much you're willing to pay. You didn't post a price you wouldn't be willing to spend, and by saying Mesa Boogie, Orange, and Marshall that's almost a guaranteed $650.

If you're going to buy a cab, buy it from a cab company, not an amp company that also sells cabs.

Port City
Mills Acoustics
Buzzbomb
Ear Candy
Tone Tubby

Some great cabs from amp companys (i'll try to order this one in which ones I would recommend)
Bogner (shiva)
Splawn
Diezel
Krank
Orange
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Avatar has copies of the Orange cab that rival the real thing in virtually every regard except price.

That said, Soldano's sound amazing through front ported cabs like the Genz Benz G-Flex and the EarCandy BuzzBomb.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by AJS19

While this is true IMO, a 2X12 Tone Tubby will slaughter any Orange cab.
Tone Tubbies ftw!
http://www.tonetubby.com/

BUT, they ain't cheap. You get what you pay for !

I got a Tubby 2X12 w/ 1 ceramic & 1 alnico, & it screams. $640 cash from a TT dealer near me.
Edit: I run a cranked Soldano SLO 100 through that little cab, but I pulled the 2 outer power tubes so the cab will survive.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Last edited by riffhog at Jan 27, 2009,
Quote by riffhog
Edit: I run a cranked Soldano SLO 100 through that little cab, but I pulled the 2 outer power tubes so the cab will survive.

i'm assuming this sounded like heaven?
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Why not take the money you would've spent on an Orange cab that comes with V30's and instead get an Avatar cab with one or both Alnico Golds?

-J

edit: An avatar contemporary 212 with 1 G12H30 and 1 Alnico Gold is $584. Not bad!
Last edited by Nims at Jan 27, 2009,
You could make an Avatar cab rival any of those others mentioned with the right speakers.

And btw TS, I'm jealous of your future Soldano Clone.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
Quote by spiff389
i'm assuming this sounded like heaven?

Yeah, it's pretty good!

I do love G12H30s too though. Those things can really bark. I have a Mojave 2X12 with those, but a new Mojave cab costs more than the Tubby. Lucky I found mine on ebay.

An Avatar cab loaded w/ G12H30s, or a combo of a G12H30 & something else would still be awesome, & save some money for sure. Just depends how deep you want to go.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
If you are ganna get a 212 i would personally get a lopo line.

same quality as avatar just a little easier on your pocket plus they make dovetail cabinets wich on paper would be better than any mainstream or any avatar cab.

Plus there less expensive than avatar even the dovetails.

http://www.lopoline.com/home.html
well i dont know for any fact but just by looking at the specs of the orange compared to an avatar, its the same wood, same speakers, and same color( not important but just funny), but a much different price. I dont see how an orange cab would sound any better than an avatar that is the exact same specs.
Thanks everyone who responded so far, I had heard about avatar at one point from a band I played with but I couldn't remember it when I sat down to look for cabs.

Time to do some more research!

Also, as far as speakers go, if I play mostly rhythm guitar would that make a difference on what speakers to drop in (If it helps, the link to my band is in my sig, and I've got the new recordings in my UG profile)?
Good music is good music...everything else can go to hell

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Avatar G212H (1xG12H30 1xAlnico Gold)
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
Last edited by apollo66 at Jan 28, 2009,