I decided that my GK head that I owned last year wasn't cutting it, tone or volume wise, I decided to shop around for my 'dream head' i.e. Money no obstacle, basing the decision entirely on tone.

I went to Bass day UK which had some killer gear to try out. Markbass, Mesa boogie, EBS, Thunderfunk, Genzbenz, etc. Basically all the top end stuff.

My views on the gear:

The Markbass stuff, the LMII priced similarly to my GK700RB-II was certainly an improvement over the GK, though not the most versatile I felt. Nailed the gk growl better than the GK.
The SA450 was next, slightly more expensive, slightly more powerful but overall not that different.
The F1 is the smallest markbass head, and is simply staggering. You can fit it in your gigbag, crazy stuff. As for the tone, better than the other two but not worth the price increase.

All of these were played through MarkBass 4x10 and 1x15 cabs.

Moving along the room we get to Mesa Boogie, the most expensive amps in the showroom. All of these sounded amazing, my favourite being the cheaper (but still definately not cheap) M6 Carbine combo. Though the Mpulse and Big Block were also very nice; and very expensive, my second favourite amps at the show.

The Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0 I got to try out was with a bergantino NV610 cab which sounded amazing, although the head didn't really give it much power. A cab like this is definately in my future.

The thunderfunk with Dr bass cabs i never got to try out, sounded nice from the people playing it though evidently not enough for me to wander over and try myself.

Lastly we get to,criminally unknown in the US, amp makers EBS, occupying the most floor space at the show they posed an impressive sight. With all of their heads and cabs on display. The mesa/ampeg beater that is the Fafner (Peter Iwers of In flames has recently become an endorser, as has Robin Zielhorst of Cynic) designed to rock, hard. The cheaper classic series designed for more vintage tones. The all solid state HD350 currently being rocked by Tal Wilkenfeld amongst others (examples of a sadowsky played through these, here ) and the flagship TD650.
These amps proved to be the most versatile, best sounding amps at the show. And so a few months later after saving some cash and selling my old head I now own one:

This thing has blown me away even more than my time with it in November, I can nail a killer slap sound, a fuzzy Jack Bruce OD (Thanks to the ability to overdrive the tube in the preamp), a tight 70's funk sound, an aggresive metal tone and so many more. Well worth the price...

Ah yes, the price, the head retails between £1200 and £1400. Mine was slightly cheaper due to working at a music shop, but nonetheless still quite pricey. But for tone this good some sacrifices can be made.

As I said previously I just need some new cabs now, i'm thinking a berg 610 and 210. But who knows, check back in 6 months
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Last edited by Forcemaster at Jan 27, 2009,
ooooooooohhhhh. shiny....
Gear:
Peavey Millennium 4 BXP
Peavey TNT 115
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Blackstar Ht-1R
Wow! Nice amp. You should totally upload some sound clips of it.
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
I love those heads so much and if i had the money we could have made a club. They are truly amazing, but i thinki prefer he fafner a bit more. More otherwise wow. I found that what is it 600 watts or so, it was really loud, though a 4x10 ebs cab aswell. Great buy man, get some sound clips up.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
With EBS having Marcus Miller on the ads and a new Stanley Clarke wah, the only thing stopping them from mainstream acceptance is their price point.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
thanks for making me feel worse about my ampage situation

congatulations though

Quote by thefitz
With EBS having Marcus Miller on the ads and a new Stanley Clarke wah, the only thing stopping them from mainstream acceptance is their price point.

I thought Marcus Miller was with SWR?

He has a preamp with them
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Yeah but I think he uses EBS cabs in some situations, my guess on European tours. Plus, I think he uses EBS pedals.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..