I was wondering if anyone had any idea why modern rosewood fretboard basses and guitars by fender have the skunkstripe on the back of the neck. The Walnut insert was used to fill the channel that they drilled in one-peice maple necks in the 50's and 70's, so... why is it on maple on maple necks and necks with rosewood fretboards? It's just a useless step that ups the price of the bass for no reason... any answers?
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
For some reason.. when i read the title ... i thought about sex
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
For the trussrod, maybe?
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
It's not paint on my MIM Standard Jazz, it's rosewood by the looks of it

I think it's just for aesthetics, unless the channel for the truss rod isnt just underneath the fretboard and is still done through the back.

It really does look cool tho.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
My MIA P-Bass doesn't have one. It's probably something to do with the truss rod, I'd guess it's easier to cut a strip in the back and access it that way but it might affect the tonal qualities of the neck so they don't do it on the higher end ones.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Last edited by indie-bassist at Jan 27, 2009,
Quote by indie-bassist
My MIA P-Bass doesn't have one. It's probably something to do with the truss rod, I'd guess it's easier to cut a strip in the back and access it that way but it might affect the tonal qualities of the neck so they don't do it on the higher end ones.

how old is your MIA, maple neck? I know the rosewood MIA's don't have it in some cases.
Quote by Averifiablewebsitefools
Fender started to place the 'skunk stripe' to show people that
a truss rod had been inserted into the neck. It was a way to
easily show people that Fender necks came with a truss rod.
Kinda like obvious advertising in the product itself. This way
there were no more questions about whether Fender used truss rods in the
neck.
The skunk stripe stuck as a marketing thing and eventually became
a defining point of Fender guitars. Later on once people forgot
about Fender's very early years sans truss rod - Fender really
did not need to use the 'skunk stripe' as a way to show and say,
"hey - there's a truss rod in here". And so the skunk stripe
became sort of fashionable thing to show (no longer needed on
rosewood installed fretboard necks). However, the skunk stripe
continued for looks mostly and it is strill a tribute to the
old marketing reasons that in time became a styling statement.

It's part marketing, part other stuff.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Thomme
how old is your MIA, maple neck? I know the rosewood MIA's don't have it in some cases.

Ahh it's a 2005 rosewood one.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
My MIA Deluxe doesn't have one. And I'm sure it's for the truss rod. Now tell me, if you strip your truss rod, what would you rather do? Replace the several-hundred dollars neck, scrape off the fingerboard, or simply remove the skunk stripe?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
i think all MIM's have them as it will be cheaper and easier to route all their necks the same rather than have to sort them out.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
My Squier has one. I like it. It looks sexy.
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
Quote by indie-bassist
Ahh it's a 2005 rosewood one.

ah, see, that makes sense, because they route the truss rod out on the top of the neck, than slab a rosewood board on it. But, with the MIM's and Squiers, there's the walnut plug in the back of ALL the necks. To me, it just seems like an unnecesary step for them to take when machining the necks, on some basses and guitars, it's perfectly functional, but on others, it's a waste.
From what I see, most MIA models do not have the skunkstripe. The only MIA model I know that has the skunkstripe is the MIA 57' Reissue Precision bass where as the 62' Reissue P bass dosen't. I assume this is for historical accuracy because the custom shop 64' Reissue also dosen't have the skunkstripe. MIA standards don't also. I'm pretty sure on all MIM and CIJ Fenders there is a skunk stripe. On my FSR MIM Jazz Standard it looks like a rosewood inlay(i.e. not painted on). Fender dosen't really have to put a skunk stripe since the truss rod is routed through the top but it looks nice and that's why they put one on some of their basses.
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Last edited by FenderAmpeg93 at Jan 27, 2009,
Quote by FenderAmpeg93
From what I see, most MIA models do not have the skunkstripe. The only MIA model I know that has the skunkstripe is the MIA 57' Reissue Precision bass where as the 62' Reissue P bass dosen't. I assume this is for historical accuracy because the custom shop 64' Reissue also dosen't have the skunkstripe. MIA standards don't also. I'm pretty sure on all MIM and CIJ Fenders there is a skunk stripe. On my FSR MIM Jazz Standard it looks like a rosewood inlay(i.e. not painted on). Fender dosen't really have to put a skunk stripe since the truss rod is routed through the top but it looks nice and that's why they put one on some of their basses.

well, then, I propose the question: why put uneccesary skunkstripes on cheaper basses?
Some electric guitars (like the Fender Telecaster and Stratocaster) have a dark wood inlay – contrasting to the light colored maple – running on the back of the neck, commonly referred to as a "skunk stripe". Strictly speaking it serves a structural function, unlike merely decorative inlay, because it covers a cavity for the truss rod that runs the length of the neck. With one-piece maple necks the truss rod is fitted from the rear of the neck, as opposed to being fitted from the front where it is covered by a separate fingerboard. Even though some makers fit the truss rod from the front of the neck and do not require a "skunk stripe" on the rear, they emulate this appearance by inlaying a purely cosmetic "skunk stripe".

Got to love Wiki
ok, so... Fender puts a cosmetic skunkstripe in the back of their lower-end guitar necks... why? I don't really see the point of wasting wood/labor like that. I mean, it's not even that great looking. When I was 12 or 13, I thought the skunkstripe was a sign of a good bass, but, I grew up at 15.
Quote by Thomme
ok, so... Fender puts a cosmetic skunkstripe in the back of their lower-end guitar necks... why? I don't really see the point of wasting wood/labor like that. I mean, it's not even that great looking. When I was 12 or 13, I thought the skunkstripe was a sign of a good bass, but, I grew up at 15.

I think it looks cool. Wish my HW1 had it.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by Thomme

that's why.

the same reason Epiphone sells instruments, and metal pickup covers are on cheap humbuckers (it's not really needed, right?) and people use mono rail bridges.

what they think when they are in in the target audience and looking to purchase it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
that's why.

metal pickup covers are on cheap humbuckers (it's not really needed, right?) and people use mono rail bridges.

Can help reduce microphonics.

And monorails are really nice to use and easy to replace.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Nutter_101
Can help reduce microphonics.

And monorails are really nice to use and easy to replace.

it can. but some guitars will have aluminum ones to look better quality than they are. and the monorails on my Schecter are not easy to use, I have not tried replacing them but to be honest, it sounds like a good idea.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
it can. but some guitars will have aluminum ones to look better quality than they are. and the monorails on my Schecter are not easy to use, I have not tried replacing them but to be honest, it sounds like a good idea.

What's the problem with aluminium ones? They don't mess with the magnetic fields and they're conductive. They do exactly what they're meant to.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Nutter_101
What's the problem with aluminium ones? They don't mess with the magnetic fields and they're conductive. They do exactly what they're meant to.

I don't know what they do theoretically, but I've never heard any difference in feedback except on a few models. 2 Gibson Les Pauls and an Epiphone SG with some custom made bridge pickup.

the other ones, unless the pickup is actually a different pickup, the chrome doesn't help.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

We're assuming the skunk stripe costs a lot of money. If you make 12 million of anything, it'll converge in price, skunk stripe or not.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by the humanity
I don't know what they do theoretically, but I've never heard any difference in feedback except on a few models. 2 Gibson Les Pauls and an Epiphone SG with some custom made bridge pickup.

the other ones, unless the pickup is actually a different pickup, the chrome doesn't help.

They slightly diminish treble (the most tiny amount ever) but are mainly to provide an easy shield solution and help prevent microphonics.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Nutter_101
They slightly diminish treble (the most tiny amount ever) but are mainly to provide an easy shield solution and help prevent microphonics.

okay.

I guess...

this appears to be another baritone guitar argument.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

It's more of a trademark or a signature than a functional piece of the neck.
Well, now I'm confused. I looked at my Squier P-Bass, and there's no skunk stripe, just a solid neck. My Squier strat, however, has one. Doesn't look like there's much rhyme or reason to it from Fender's viewpoint.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE