I just bought the Marshall MG100DFX but I can't seem to get any good tone out of it.

I have played through other Marshall and they sound good but I can't seem to get a good tone out of this.

I have an American Fender Strat so considering that it should sound sweet and for bluesy rock n roll licks it does but I tried to play some more hard rock stuff like *groans* G n R (not a big fan) to see what sort of tone I get, and it sucks hard!

It sounds all grainy.

Any advice?
Fender American Strat
-
Fender Tuner | Dunlop Wah | BD-2 | DS-2 | MXR Distortion III | Phase 90 | Small Clone | Carbon Copy
-
Blackstar HT-5 | Orange PPC 112
I mean i know im ignorant in saying this, but its an MG. You're probably not gonna get a good tone out of it.
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
you can´t get a good tone out of an MG, they suck hard...100watts of pure crap
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
sorry to dissapoint you man, they really do suck....I bet it sucks,buying a new amp and then realizing it's actually utter crap.
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
Quote by Ferrarone

i have 30 watts of pure crap

youd be better off buying a pedal or something
i have
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Last edited by padgea7x at Jan 27, 2009,
i don't mean to be elitist but maybe trade it for a tube amp? you're not gonna get sweet overdriven tube sound with the mg. or if you REALLY like it get a od pedal or something.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
I wouldn't say you can't get a *good* tone out of an MG, but you sure as hell aren't going to get a great tone out of one.

Are you typically a blues player? Or more of a rock player? And are you willing to get rid of the MG and start fresh?
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
What you are discovering is that a budget solid state amp just isn't good enough to allow you to make the most of an awesome guitar.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Ferrarone

Actually my old MG is 100 watts of pure footrest
ohai little sig.
Prepare to endure a massive wave of flames, MG's have a horrible reputation on the UG boards.

My best advice for you is to return the amp if you still can, and buy something else. Cause the MG's..well, suck, lol

Those amps are like what, $400 new? If you can return it, you could definitely look into something like a used Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, or even a Peavey Valveking. I could go on, but you have quite a few options.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quote by FlightofIcarus
Prepare to endure a massive wave of flames, MG's have a horrible reputation on the UG boards.

My best advice for you is to return the amp if you still can, and buy something else. Cause the MG's..well, suck, lol

Those amps are like what, $400 new? If you can return it, you could definitely look into something like a used Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, or even a Peavey Valveking. I could go on, but you have quite a few options.

...... I didn't flame him....

But like I asked earlier. Do you typically play blues?
--

--
Quote by stratman_13
...... I didn't flame him....

But like I asked earlier. Do you typically play blues?
Never said you did . People just jumped all over this way faster than I did, and I'm used to seeing MG threads turn into a war zone
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quote by FlightofIcarus
Never said you did . People just jumped all over this way faster than I did, and I'm used to seeing MG threads turn into a war zone

Too true man. UG really needs to stop HATING on the amps, and actually try to help people. I really get sick of seeing

MG suxxxxxxors!!! Nu ampz! t00b is teh only way 2 go!11

I hope the TS answers both our questions eventually
--

--
Quote by LifesSweetDrug

I have an American Fender Strat so considering that it should sound sweet and for bluesy rock n roll licks it does but I tried to play some more hard rock stuff like *groans* G n R (not a big fan) to see what sort of tone I get, and it sucks hard!

It sounds all grainy.

Any advice?

You won't get GNR tones with single coils on any amp, IMO. Can you return the MG?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Well typically rock player, but I was playing some slide guitar and sounds pretty neat!

Why does everyone hate MG's so much? I used a 50 Watts one before and it sounded really great.

It's not that I want to emulate Slash, or anything but I haven't got that lead sort of sound.

To the guy who has an MG and overdrive pedal, which one you recommend?

But I do have the overall volume on it to less that 0.5 out of 10.
Fender American Strat
-
Fender Tuner | Dunlop Wah | BD-2 | DS-2 | MXR Distortion III | Phase 90 | Small Clone | Carbon Copy
-
Quote by gregs1020
You won't get GNR tones with single coils on any amp, IMO. Can you return the MG?

I love my Strat much better than a Gibson, I personally think.

I could do, but I am not very keen as I got it over the net and it would cost a lot to send back.
Fender American Strat
-
-
I think everyone should stop ripping his amp, poor thing, it's probably all scared in the corner.
On a serious note, try and return it if you can, you can get far better for your money
Quote by Chasing Shadows
I think everyone should stop ripping his amp, poor thing, it's probably all scared in the corner.
On a serious note, try and return it if you can, you can get far better for your money

Money really isn't a problem, I'll probably end up buying a more decent amp if I start gigging.
Fender American Strat
-
-
Because they're made of cheap parts, break easily, don't sound ANYTHING like a real Marshall, and you're basically paying for the little white plastic logo.

That and there are way better amps for the price. If it were me, I'd swap the MG and get a Blackheart or Blackstar, and an OD. That will give you your bedroom rock sound, and your blues overdrive. Other considerations are the Fender Champion 600, Epi Valve Junior, and Peavey Vypyr.

You could go for a Peavey Vavleking, but I personally really dislike that amp. Maybe even a Crate Palomino. Look used too... there's a Laney AOR in my GC's used section for less than the actualy price of an MG100.
--

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Jan 27, 2009,
seriously, just get rid of it or return it and buy a peavey classic, a laney AOR (hint hint) or a crate V33
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Single coils won't give you Guns N Roses sounds. Try the clean channel, gain all the way up, roll off your tone knob. Maybe try running an overdrive in front of the amp as well.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Why'd you buy it if you can't get a good tone out of it?

#1 rule of buying amps is to go to the guitar store and try out stuff with your own guitar and make sure you like what you hear.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Here's your key to tone on this amp: (assuming you're keeping it for a while)

1. Buy a good distortion pedal, I got the EHX Metall Muff
2. Plug it in front of the amp's clean channel, obviously lol
3. Turn the gain on the channel to a bare minimum, just enough to where there is sound coming out, I'm talking like .2 out of 10 (this is the main key to getting a good tone)
4. Dial the pedal in and use the pedal's volume and amp's master to get your desired volume

I did this while I was saving up for my 6505 and it worked great. It's no pure tube tone but it a hell of a lot better than the sound you'd be getting out of it regularly.
TS - I would buy Bostonrocks Laney AOR. MUCH closer to GnR tone then your current Marshall. He sells/trades things all the time and has a good rep.

The reason people get flamed is because they are making bad decisions as consumers without doing more research. I've made my mistakes too. It doesn't take long to realize that the real world experiences with this amp are below average.

TS - Nice guitar btw. I saw a guy nail Slash tones live on stage with a single coil Strat.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
TS - I would buy Bostonrocks Laney AOR. MUCH closer to GnR tone then your current Marshall. He sells/trades things all the time and has a good rep.

The reason people get flamed is because they are making bad decisions as consumers without doing more research. I've made my mistakes too. It doesn't take long to realize that the real world experiences with this amp are below average.

TS - Nice guitar btw. I saw a guy nail Slash tones live on stage with a single coil Strat.

311 has it right.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by LifesSweetDrug
I love my Strat much better than a Gibson, I personally think.

I could do, but I am not very keen as I got it over the net and it would cost a lot to send back.

I love strats too, single coils just don't get the tonal range of humbuckers. Which is key to the "slash" tone IMO. His solo's on the neck pup you should be able to approach though.

I honestly recommend that return the amp since money isn't an issue, a Traynor YCV50 Blue would suit what you want to play very well. HeII a Classic 30 would do well too. Both run in the $300-450 range used. What major city are you near?

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

o.O Had to be rails, is my bet. They can get a lot closer than stock singles in an American strat.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jan 27, 2009,
Quote by stujomo
Here is a demo of the MG100 HDFX take a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10il4UvXrzg&feature=channel_page

You might be able to dial in some kind of resonable tone. His demo does not sound too bad.

I also agree with helping people regardless of their situation. He does have a return policy I'm sure - but if he decides to keep it then there are things the TS can do. I just never really cared for any of the MG clips online nor the MGs I've played in person.

Bostonrocks has a much better tone with his Laney. In the MG100 clip up above the guy does a 'Brown' sound at 4 minutes in. Brocks VH tone clip is better as an example. How much are you selling that for again?

Gregs - Yeah, very possible on the rails, wasn't that close. I'm just saying focus on the amp for now but your right - he's got $1,500 or so in gear that may not suit for style.

That is all.
LifesSweetDrug what are your EQ settings on the amp? The amp could probably sound alot better if you EQ it good and don't use too much distortion.
I leik music
Yeah, MG's aren't so hot, especially the 100watters.

I have a 30 watt one, and it's got pretty decent cleans, but the OD sucks hard, but I never use my OD channel, I prefer my Distortion pedal, so I don't care too much.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by zhunt1130
Here's your key to tone on this amp: (assuming you're keeping it for a while)

1. Buy a good distortion pedal, I got the EHX Metall Muff
2. Plug it in front of the amp's clean channel, obviously lol
3. Turn the gain on the channel to a bare minimum, just enough to where there is sound coming out, I'm talking like .2 out of 10 (this is the main key to getting a good tone)
4. Dial the pedal in and use the pedal's volume and amp's master to get your desired volume

I did this while I was saving up for my 6505 and it worked great. It's no pure tube tone but it a hell of a lot better than the sound you'd be getting out of it regularly.

If youre gona save up, this sounds like a solid idea
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Quote by gregs1020
´

o.O Had to be rails, is my bet. They can get a lot closer than stock singles in an American strat.

Rails supposably don't sound like humbuckers due to their smaller size.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Rails supposably don't sound like humbuckers due to their smaller size.

Supposably they sound like tweeners. Not quite single coils, not quite as thick as buckers, in my experience anyway. They're closer to a humbucker tone than a regular single coil is, was my point.