Holy-Diver
Chris
2,182 IQ
i wanted some outside opinions on which of these two amps is more suited for metal, a tone in the sound of necrophagist to master of puppets. the triple x also seems a little too bright for me, on a side note.
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
whoswt
303 IQ
the triple x is a little more versatile and yes it is bright but if you play more than just metal i say triple x , i think the 6505 is more of wat you want its darker and loaded with gain , but both amp have enough gain to suit your styles it just which voicing you like better
Chasing Shadows
2,091 IQ
odd... my iPod is on shuffle.. and Holy Diver just came on :P.

I always say go for the more versatile amplifier, althouh what do i know about amps? XD.
never seen the Triple X, is it more versatile than the Laney GH100TI?
IbanezPsycho
4,339 IQ
The triple is alot more versatile and has a better clean channel as well. So if you want something versatile I would go with the Triple. Also the 6505 is not particularly a good choice for thrash and the triple is alot better suited for that genre. So brightness aside I would go with the Triple for what your looking for. And just work on making your tone darker.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Jan 27, 2009,
Demonikk
Falcooon... PUNCH!!
1,040 IQ
I prefer the 6505, hence why I chose it over a XXX
Just be warned, there are a lot of mids on the thing so it's not so suited to the 'scooped' thrash sound but I can get a nice MOP tone out of it
ohai little sig.
Last edited by Demonikk at Jan 27, 2009,
whoswt
303 IQ
im not sure how much more versatile it is compare to the laney but it has a decent clean a crunch ch and a ultra ch for they way i see it is the cleans obviously for clean and crunch is sorta marshall - ish ultra for modern metal and that pretty much how i use it and play it
death_metaller
Rot 'n' Roll
170 IQ
6505s are really good.

see you got a vader cab too, supposed to be a godly pair!
Gear:
Jackson DK2 Trans Black

Peavey 6505
Marshall 1960AV
Weeping_Demon7
Feminist
2,628 IQ
The Peavy JSX is another great amp. A lot of versatility and 3 channels.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Holy-Diver
Chris
2,182 IQ
well i have a triple x right now. the only thing i like more about the triple x is that it has three channels, as i like to use one for clean, one for rhythm, and one for lead. my main concern with the 6505 is that it has only 2 channels, and i like a little more range than that. also, i have heard that the cleans are not that good on 6505.... am i right?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
IbanezPsycho
4,339 IQ
Quote by Holy-Diver
well i have a triple x right now. the only thing i like more about the triple x is that it has three channels, as i like to use one for clean, one for rhythm, and one for lead. my main concern with the 6505 is that it has only 2 channels, and i like a little more range than that. also, i have heard that the cleans are not that good on 6505.... am i right?

Its usuable but not the greatest nor as good as the triples cleans. And three channels comes in handy quite a bit when switching from thrash to modern metal to cleans.

You might try and look into a few different amps as well..
Holy-Diver
Chris
2,182 IQ
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Its usuable but not the greatest nor as good as the triples cleans. And three channels comes in handy quite a bit when switching from thrash to modern metal to cleans.

You might try and look into a few different amps as well..

you have a 6505 + and that was what i was contemplating. what about if i got a 6505+ and had another head for cleans? cuz i dont really like the cleans on the triple x anyways. another question, can both the channels on the 6505 be used for distortion?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
nutinpwnsgibson
1,125 IQ
the 6505 is much more modern sounding. i prefer the XXX for a slightly british, less ballsy and less gainy sound. the three channels is another thing i really like. its totally preference though, look for some sound clips that directly compare the amps with the same camera mic or mic, same room, same guitar and stuff if you cant find a way to compare them in reality
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
IbanezPsycho
4,339 IQ
Quote by Holy-Diver
you have a 6505 + and that was what i was contemplating. what about if i got a 6505+ and had another head for cleans? cuz i dont really like the cleans on the triple x anyways. another question, can both the channels on the 6505 be used for distortion?

Thats what im doing, works out great for me. And yes both channels can be dirty. I'm currently running my lead channel as my main distortion and whenever I was something less aggressive like classic rock or even lower blues I change over to the rhythm channel. Its not the best voiced amp for classic rock or blues but it gets the job done. Then my Ampeg is always in the mix to add a bit more color to the sound and when I go clean its just ampeg.
Van Noord
Deactivated
937 IQ
FWIW, I have much more success making a brighter voiced amp sound darker, than making a darker voiced amp sound brighter. I can always add more satisfying lower freq's than higher.
Some treble on darker voiced amps just sounds thin, cold and fizzy. But this is where properly matched speakers come into play. That's why V30's sound so good with 6505's. They have great natural sounding highs and mids that compliment that amp.
Just my opinion.

Both amps are good options, but you would have a better time deciding if you could play the two back to back for reference.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION