Why can 700mb CDs only hold around 1 hour 20 minutes worth of music??

I just made a playlist with 165mb of music and it has to write it to 3 CDs.

EDIT: I know there has to be like track data and shizzle on there, but surely it wouldn't take up that much space??
Last edited by 100%guitarmad at Jan 27, 2009,
because a cd that you would stick in your cd player would also have the same maximum...

you know what, i'm to lazy to explain it, find out yourself

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
Because your CD player can only read data in a certain way, and that means your mp3s are converted so that your CD player can read it, and that increases the size of the music file drastically.
Don't you need to use .wav files if you want a normal cd-player to play them? If so, those are a lot bigger than mp3s, which would explain it.

EDIT: Dammit, late.
It's 700MB of data or 80mins of audio, it says on the case.

If you have a moew modern CD player/stereo, it may be able to play MP3 CDs, in which case you can get LOADS of music per CD.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Quote by freedoms_stain
Because your CD player can only read data in a certain way, and that means your mp3s are converted so that your CD player can read it, and that increases the size of the music file drastically.

Aha.
yeah. what they all said ^ ^
Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Tokai LC53 Les Paul Custom
Tokai ALS48 Love Rock Les Paul Standard
Marshall DSL-50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Just to clarify, traditionally CD players have only been able to read .wav files, which are lossless. MP3 files are lossy compressed, making them much smaller at the expense of quality. Most modern CD players and all computers can read MP3 CDs, which can store hours and hours of MP3s as opposed to ~80 mins of .wavs.
Quote by -February-Star-
It's 700MB of data or 80mins of audio, it says on the case.

If you have a moew modern CD player/stereo, it may be able to play MP3 CDs, in which case you can get LOADS of music per CD.
Am I getting ripped-off? I get 74 mins on every disk I've ever bought.

I could add an entire one-half of a song!
Quote by Grundy0
Never forget what really matters in life, friends and family.
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3