View poll results: Spider III head/cab versus Peavey Valveking 212 Combo Amp
Spider III Head/Cab
7 7%
Peavey Valveking 212 Combo Amp
90 93%
Voters: 97.
Page 1 of 2
Hey.

I've been playing guitar for about 2 yuears now on and off. I'm not the greatest, but I'm not bad at it.

I currently play an Epiphone SG Special Edition guitar, and a Fender Vintage amp (probably a 30-ish watt solid state, i can't remember). I use a digitech Grunge pedal for distortion.

obviously this stuff is crap, except for the guitar which is about average, maybe a little bit better.

anyways, looking on craigslist in my area I've found the following:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-212-Combo-Amp?sku=481443
used on craigslist price: $300

OR

this setup consisting of a Spider III head and Spider III cab:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-HD150-Guitar-Amp-Head-Spider-III-412-Speaker-Cabinet?sku=485062
Craigslist price: $400

So basically the question is Low end tube amp versus High End Solid State amp.

I like playing stuff like underoath, dance gavin dance, a skylit drive, and I want to learn bring me the horizon and other stuff like that.
I love good tone, but I can't pay through the nose to get it.

The only other thing i found on craigslist that I might purchase is an 81 volume and 85 volume EMG Pickup set for $125, brand new in the box. I'm definitely picking that up and strapping it on my SG.
Spider III? High end? Searchbar.
Get the EMGs, but only if you plan on getting a tube amp.
The VK isn't quite metal, but its a hell of a ton better than the Spider.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
VK all the way
spider sucks mucho dicko
espescially in the 100 watt stack version
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by ShredGod George
VK all the way
spider sucks mucho dicko
espescially in the 100 watt stack version

thats the HD150 head, not the HD100 head.

sure it still sucks?
spider is not a high end solid state, it's the bottom of the line 6 range and is what gives line 6 a bad reputation. the half-stack is essentially a cheapo practice amp with a penis extension.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by SeventhXTrumpet
thats the HD150 head, not the HD100 head.

sure it still sucks?

The HD100 is the Spider VALVE, not the the Spider III...

You said solid state, so you're contradicting yourself? Unless that was the name of the old Spider III half stack?

My vote is to the VK, but be prepared to buy some more stuff to get a better sound...
Quote by SeventhXTrumpet

So basically the question is Low end tube amp versus High End Solid State amp.

I lol'd at this.

Just get the Valveking

/thread
I leik music
I love my valveking, but I don't like it for distortion or metal at all. I use it mainly with a strat for light rock or clean stuff. I personally think you should consider other amps.
VK.
You will regret buying the Spider.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Quote by GuitarDTO
I love my valveking, but I don't like it for distortion or metal at all. I use it mainly with a strat for light rock or clean stuff. I personally think you should consider other amps.

It's great for the things you play, but I disagree... it CAN play metal. With my new speaker, an EQ/OD, and new tubes (I needed them anyway) this thing is pretty brutal.

But... that's another ~$70 for each speaker, $70 for budget OD and EQ, and ~$100 for new tubes. Hefty investment, but eh.

It can do some metal stock, just not the br00talz. For TS, I'd suggest a speaker change, EQ, and a preamp tube change. You'll probably need to lighten the amp up a bit.

You could probably get an ultra for your budget o.O
Well, you could get a 6505+ 1x12 combo that's coming out in a few months.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Well, you could get a 6505+ 1x12 combo that's coming out in a few months.

yeah for how much? I'm not dropping a grand on this stuff.

anyways, i had to go to two stores to try both of these amps out.

unfortunately the line 6 head/cab was at the first store, and the peavey valveking 212 was at the second store.

They both sounded nice.

I'll list pros and cons:

Valveking 212 Combo:

Pro's: Very rich tone. Solid, can be cranked very loud, palm mutes came out really nice.

Cons: SO NOISY. there was a ridiculous amount of feedback, almost enough to make me NOT want to buy it because it was so loud, even when i STOPPED playing. on top of that, no effects like the line 6, and i was only seemingly able to get ONE kind of good tone out of it. the clean channel was decent, but i hardly play clean anyways.

Line 6 Spider III Head/Cab

Pro's: VERY Versatile, can play a variety of music, and tone is great. I didn't have alot of time to mess with it (Which is probably why the crunch channel sounded lame) but I liked what I was hearing. half thru the insane and metal channels on the dial knob sounded really tight. VERY versatile effects, and effects work with whatever sound you are getting out of the amp. The cab sounded of good quality, and i almost did forget that I was playing a solid state amp.
THERE WAS ABSOLUTELY NO NOISE WHEN I STOPPED PLAYING. this was a huge turn on for me. Another plus is that there are no tubes. less money to pour into it.

Con's: I can't quite get it to match the sound of the valveking. They are both nice amps, but i'll probably never be able to get that nice, rich tone of the peavey. on the other hand, there was no noise to deal with.

What do you guys think? I may have to go back and try one of them again. I was really digging the line 6
you'll regret buying the spider if you do it. solid state halfstacks are rarely a good idea
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by SeventhXTrumpet
yeah for how much? I'm not dropping a grand on this stuff.

anyways, i had to go to two stores to try both of these amps out.

unfortunately the line 6 head/cab was at the first store, and the peavey valveking 212 was at the second store.

They both sounded nice.

I'll list pros and cons:

Valveking 212 Combo:

Pro's: Very rich tone. Solid, can be cranked very loud, palm mutes came out really nice.

Cons: SO NOISY. there was a ridiculous amount of feedback, almost enough to make me NOT want to buy it because it was so loud, even when i STOPPED playing. on top of that, no effects like the line 6, and i was only seemingly able to get ONE kind of good tone out of it. the clean channel was decent, but i hardly play clean anyways.

Line 6 Spider III Head/Cab

Pro's: VERY Versatile, can play a variety of music, and tone is great. I didn't have alot of time to mess with it (Which is probably why the crunch channel sounded lame) but I liked what I was hearing. half thru the insane and metal channels on the dial knob sounded really tight. VERY versatile effects, and effects work with whatever sound you are getting out of the amp. The cab sounded of good quality, and i almost did forget that I was playing a solid state amp.
THERE WAS ABSOLUTELY NO NOISE WHEN I STOPPED PLAYING. this was a huge turn on for me. Another plus is that there are no tubes. less money to pour into it.

Con's: I can't quite get it to match the sound of the valveking. They are both nice amps, but i'll probably never be able to get that nice, rich tone of the peavey. on the other hand, there was no noise to deal with.

What do you guys think? I may have to go back and try one of them again. I was really digging the line 6

The 1x12 combo is gonna be about $500.

Also, look into the Peavey Vypyr 100 or 120. They MURDER the Spider tone wise IMO.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Dude the spiders tone sucks ass. Get a bugera if there still on sale. If not, get a vypyr or a valveking and mod the valveking.
Here is my advice, and please follow it.

You list those 2 amps, and you also list at the bottom that you're gonna get some EMG set of pickups. For your own good, put together all the money you can afford for guitar stuff, and just spend it all on an amp. Don't get a $300 amp and $125 pickups (I have nothing against the valveking by the way). If you can afford a $400 spider stack and a $125 set of pups, you can afford a $525 tube amp combo, and I believe that's how much the Peavey 6505 112 combo is going to be, so save up and get that when it comes out, or shop for a used Peavey XXX or whatever good tube amp you can find in that price range.

And lastly, the Spider3 is not a high end SS amp by any means. It's more like low end.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by MustangSVT
Here is my advice, and please follow it.

You list those 2 amps, and you also list at the bottom that you're gonna get some EMG set of pickups. For your own good, put together all the money you can afford for guitar stuff, and just spend it all on an amp. Don't get a $300 amp and $125 pickups (I have nothing against the valveking by the way). If you can afford a $400 spider stack and a $125 set of pups, you can afford a $525 tube amp combo, and I believe that's how much the Peavey 6505 112 combo is going to be, so save up and get that when it comes out, or shop for a used Peavey XXX or whatever good tube amp you can find in that price range.

And lastly, the Spider3 is not a high end SS amp by any means. It's more like low end.

I agree with every bit of this post in your case TS. You can get a very nice amp in a lot of cases on clist for $525. (Though I do prefer Mustangs with big blocks to the SVT's. )
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
i'm going to another guitar center that has both and I'll compare side by side and see what I want. chances are i can talk the guy with the spider down to $325, and the guy with the valveking to $250. we'll go from there.
wow, my nephew has a spider II which is basicly a spider III just older, with his EMG`s it feed backs like CRAZY, my Marshall doesn`t feed back AT ALL unless my PA2 gain booster is turned on. you must`ve been playing a guitar with lowoutput pickups cause EMG`s make the spiders scream with feedback and not in a good way either.
Get the VK, but get a OD pedal with it. Its not too good for metal. I got my BOSS gt-10 and it sounds much better
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Quote by SeventhXTrumpet
i'm going to another guitar center that has both and I'll compare side by side and see what I want. chances are i can talk the guy with the spider down to $325, and the guy with the valveking to $250. we'll go from there.

For God's sake, THE SPIDER IS NOT A GOOD AMP, ESPECIALLY IN STACK FORM. JUST GET THE VK FFS.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
For God's sake, THE SPIDER IS NOT A GOOD AMP, ESPECIALLY IN STACK FORM. JUST GET THE VK FFS.

I agree with this post.

Btw, the VK can sound so much better than why it try it out in the shop. You need to learn how to get used to the EQ, get a dummy jack and a patch lead. Theres a VK thread in this forum, so go there - much help.
Love is my religion
yes get a VK instead. or a vypyr. the VK can do metal but it needs some work. the Vypyr can do metal out of the box. check out my vk clips in my profile. metal clips plus gear info.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Making this more clear

Do NOT buy the spider III. It sucks. Don't bother even going in to the shop to try it

Buy the VK and bad monkey overdrive pedal. OD pedal is $50. When you get the pedal, Run the OD on your drive channel with the level on the pedal at 10 and gain on the pedal at 0. On your amp, adjust your gain to taste. Enjoy br00t4lz.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Also - the Vypyr Tube 60 is out. I played it, it was listed at $449. It's a modeling amp and not all tube by a purist standpoint, but it's versatile as all heII and loud as snot. Just throwing that in the mix. My point being, try one when at the shop.
...this topic could also be renamed

"Cadillac Escalade vs. Ford Pinto"

It's basically that comparison. The stereotype of comfort (tone) vs the stereotype of a cheap piece of crap.

Seriously, the Spider III is the most utter piece of crap amp ever placed on this Earth. You could plug your guitar into a tree and get better tone. That would explain why there's an entire mob of people who would probably hunt you down for passing up on a VK for the Spider.
Quote by Xoth

I might have to sig this
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
No matter what, the valveking is the better amp. For one its louder, sounds better when its loud, more portable cause its a combo not a half stack. If you like it now and you buy it, you will kick yourself in the ass down the road when your starts to develope and you realize how crappy your tone is. I'd say get the valveking, it can metal but only something as aheavy as metallica. With the extra cash you have from not wasting money on the spider buy a danelectro fish n chips eq and a bad monkey overdrive pedal. Problem solved.
Quote by Xoth

It's basically that comparison. The stereotype of bling for all mah gangsta brothas in da hood fo shizzle (tone) vs the stereotype of a cheap piece of crap.

Seriously, the Spider III is the most utter piece of crap amp ever placed on this Earth. You could plug your guitar into a tree and get better tone. That would explain why there's an entire mob of people who would probably hunt you down for passing up on a VK for the Spider.

Fixed
Seriously, I never tried a Spider but alot of my friends have them and everyone who walks into my local shopa buys one (they sell them so hard) they sound like a McDonalds happy meal toy serious.

THE SPIDER SOUNDS WORSE THAN AN AMP FROM A HAPPY MEAL IN MCDONALDS.

Just in case you didn't get that.
VK got my vote (obviously)
Last edited by CrimsonBizzare at Jan 28, 2009,
IF you do get teh Spider (because you know, it will look cooler and probably sound better at first at the store) - then will you please do a NAD (New Amp Day) with pics and clips of your happy meal?

That one vote there is not mine.
Attachments:
VK vs Spider.JPG
ValveKing= Decent starter tube amp that, with a speaker change and a good OD, can be a good metal amp.

Spider= POS practice amp.

Spider Half Stack= POS oversized practice amp which makes you feel like you have a large penis.

And I voted for the Spider, but just for sh*ts and giggles. Valveking all the way.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
^That would be a purple MG. That kind of ruined the purple stack thing, which sucked because I want a purple Soldano stack bad.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^well, we can't have it TOO one sided can we?

PPOS = Purple Piece Of Sh!t Half Stack.

ICWUTUDIDTHAR

My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Alright bro, I'm not much of a forum junky but heres my opinion.

When I use to gig I had a Peavey Triple X halfstack. Man, that thing boomed and it was wicked distorted, the tone and "chug" was awesome. I sold that amp and bought a line 6 spider HD150 half stack... I know, I know, all the tube purist are gonna be like "OMG wtf? IDIOT!" so instead of rambling reasons I'll list you pros, and cons. From a truthful and honest perspective.

Peavey XXX:
Pros: LOUD! man that thing chugged, the distortion was wonderful, robust, and round without need of a pedal. A total metal head amp was wonderful.

Cons: HEAVY! you need help luggin' those fat tube bastards along, tubes need be replaced, they have to warm up (if you plan on extending tube life very long at all). But the real con was this, in order for tube amps to sound AWESOME you have to crank the **** out of them, I mean higher than a hard drumset to get the FULL sound. Which isn't "ideal" for the bedroom of your house, while your wife is trying to sleep or w/e. Headphone jacks are lame, who wants to rock out to headphones? lmao.

Line 6 Spider:
Pros: That amp is versatile, unlike tube amps you don't have to find sweet spots, or carry an arsenal of peddles. It gets loud (doesnt break up at loud volumes) and sounds as good on 2 as it does 8. The clean is nice, the distortion is wonderful, and youve got an asrenal of tuners and effects built right in. Its also light, so carrying it isn't a huge pain in the ass to carry from one place to the next.

Cons: The sound in comparison to a tube amp is quite as round, or full but it in NO way means that it sounds BAD. The only BAD thing I can say about it is that without a footswitch it could be a real pain to navigate thru all the settings and models in a live set.

So it comes down to this, the age old question tube or solid state? If you're a bedroom jammer, or don't have your own home or something like that. By all means I'd recommend the line 6 (Most gigs you play you mic your amp through the boards anyway so you'll never have to ram the volume up to 10). Tubes are easier to repair, but if you research the line 6 (like I did) and see all the crap about them going up in smoke. Its because it's a stereo head that REQUIRES an 8 ohm load (not 4 under any circumstance) on EACH channel or it'll fry the amp. Normal amps you can just run it mono to one side. If it was me, the choice between the line 6 and the valveking, I'd go with the line 6. You can always save up and get a krank or mesa down the road

I hope this helps with the dilemma bro, I've been there man... Regardless of which you'll probably be happy.
By the way, I play with an ESP telecaster with Emg 81/85 with an 18v conversion. Feedback on the XXX without using a noisegate, NO feedback or noise on the spider.

Just try them both out and see what you like. best of luck to you!
naterwedge - welcome to UG and a well thought out post. (I don't agree whole heartedly with your info but hey - your's is a new perspective so cheers). But in the parts the TS is rarely around for more than an hour, let alone 2 weeks.
Page 1 of 2