My practise amp has rubbish overdrive.

It's a behringer tube amp, 15w.

I wanted to get either a distortion pedal or an overrdrive pedal but if I get a distortion pedal will it mix with my amp's overdrive?

The overdrive pedal I'm looking at: MXR ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive Pedal

The distortion pedal: Digitech Hardwire TL-2

Which would you recommend out of the two?
I play hard rock, heavy metal, glam rock, glam metal and classic rock and some trash metal.

I understand the MXR ZW-44 is only for boosting an amp's overdrive, not fully providing it, and my amp doesn't already have a very good overdrive at the moment so would that be OK?

Open to any recommendations.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Distortion pedals generally dont mix well with the amps natural distortion. But a decent OD should do the trick..

Any to recommend?

Is the MXR ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive Pedal any good?

And is the Digitech Hardwire SC-2 Overdrive Pedal any good asweel?

Thanks
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Keeley Tubescreamer, Maxon, or Bad monkey off hand.. But there is a ton out there that will work out great..

Why do alot of people use distortion pedals then? If nearly everyone has a tube amp but you said they don't mix very well, so do they go with out the pre-amp on their amp?
They do that because the OD on their amp isn't what they want. When you use a dist. pedal on a valve amp, you keep in on the clean channel and then use the dist. pedal. You don't use both the amp's OD and the pedal's dist, that gives you a muddy and undefined sound.
Quote by Mitchell?
They do that because the OD on their amp isn't what they want. When you use a dist. pedal on a valve amp, you keep in on the clean channel and then use the dist. pedal. You don't use both the amp's OD and the pedal's dist, that gives you a muddy and undefined sound.

What would you recommend for the genres mentioned above?

Overdrive or Distortion?

and any suggestions on either? The links to the ones I'm looking at are in the first post.
I'd say a dist. pedal for you, because your amp's OD isn't very good, and I don't think it'd sound better boosted either.