Does a bass combo have to be to be audible in a live mix assuming nothing is mic'd?
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

What, so your asking do we have to hear the bass.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
No...I'm asking what kind of wattage is loud enough to be heard over guitars and drums...I'm sorry if that wasn't clear

Quote by bogg808

300 watts for sure. 200 is a bare minimum. A 15" speaker would also be a good start and maybe a 2x10 ext if you want a cvombo.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
wattage is rated many different ways....so wattage isn't always right.

a 115 will usually be fine for practice at home.

as for live, it greatly depends on how big the venue is.
Depends on guitarists amp, drummers style, type of music, and many more factors.

for example; if your playing in a soft rock band, with a gentle drummer and guitarist playing small melodies and has a 30watt SS amp and decorations, anything from about 60watts (your tone would suffer at 60ish, bear in mind though) would do

, but if your playing in a metal or heavy rock band with lots of distortion on guitar and he has a 30w tube amp and a heavy handed drummer, anything under about 100 and you will barely be able to hear yourself
Right now its just for practice, and we'll be playing small shows. It's for a punk band, so I'm guessing louder(?), I'm kinda new to this, so what are some good amps that'll be like 250ish USD new? I'll be looking used, but that'll give me an idea of what to look for.

Quote by bogg808

Last edited by mcraddict81592 at Jan 27, 2009,
What currency is that. Thats not alot at the mo, for a combo, check out ashdown, hartke, peavey.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Get an Acoustic B200, save 150 extra dollars. I play with a loud ass drummer and although I was mic'd through the house PA I was heard over 400 people this Sunday.

I can easily be heard over everything when we practice with my 200 watt combo.