Page 1 of 4
I mean isnt 30 tube watts more than enough for gigs (because you mic them)
even if u play on a big stage, isnt 50 watts enough? Even if its not enough, couldnt you turn the mic louder ?

Ive seen tons of people on youtube with stacks, and im pretty sure not all of them play at stadiums and such places

so why do people buy stacks ??
(this is just a question, im not trying to flame peopl that do)
Small penii.
Gear:
Ibanez RG570 circa 1993
Ibanez S2020XAV
Carvin DC127
EVH 5153 50w
Orange PPC112
AxeFX II
Lots of reasons.

1) The amp they want only comes in some sort of stack.
2) They like the bass response of a 2x12 or 4x12
3) They like the ability to switch cabinets.
4) They like transporting a head and cab separately.

Basically, there's just as many reasons to prefer a stack as there are to a having a combo. And this is coming from a combo-guy.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the fact that a lot of kids think having a stack makes your dick twice a big.
Dude, I don't think you have seen how awsome a stack looks. Plus, if you are at a rehersal without PA, and your drummer is loud, I think you need a stack
ive got a half stack, and i think it gets a lot fuller sound, even at lower volumes. i havent even turned it up above 2 yet

i wish i could think of some way to describe it other than "fuller"
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
There are reasons for both, like you said you can mic them but also, the heads can give you some nasty distortion even better than combos, for example, mesa boogies
Why do people buy amps when you could just plug a multi-fx direct into the PA? It's not like they sound better or anything.

HEY, YOU. YOU THERE WITH THE AMP. YOU'RE A MORON. THAT AMP IS TOTALLY UNNECESSARY LOL!

'Tard.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
it gives +7 coolness points and they may want different speakers.
my gear:
Epiphone LP standard
roland microcube
Different tones, sometimes different wattages are only in stacks, It looks cool,
your're only a real man if your amp is physically bigger than you are, better bass response
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Stacks are pretty much the only way to have a closed back and a tube amp together.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Why do people just use 30 tube watts? Should people settle for something "that'll just get enough volume"?

I've seen alot of guys around here play clubs and outdoor festivals with half stacks, and also with 2X12 combos, both sounded fine by me. I play a 120watt tube combo and have so far only played in the bedroom and the occasional jam with another guitarist. I like the tone I get though. I'd get a 5150 half stack if I could, because I like the sound it.
A 4x12 has a different response and sound then a 1x10.

A 100W head has a different response and sound then a 15W head (headroom, output transformers, etc.).

It's all preference.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
30 watt combos are not exactly ideal for really tight metal tones at louder volumes. Plus a half-stack has way more presence on stage to the crowd. Most importantly is the option to change your sound if you want to: different cabs/speakers=different sound
yeah ive got a 50W all-tube stack, the reasons have pretty much already been listed;

1) it makes me feel like i have a bigger dick
2) it has certain tonal qualities about it that you cant achieve with a combo
3) its less of a bitch to carry cos you can do it in 2 trips
4) it feels less likely to break, cos the "fragile" part is the small, easily transportable head
5) it was more economic; i got the head i really wanted and a fairly cheap combo, so if i ever feel i need to "upgrade" i can go for a much better cab
6) i just really REALLY like the way it looks.
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
Well, I'm sure the same reason people buy sports cars
Proud follower of Åkerfeldtism

P S T F I N D E R

Quote by FFTLxx
Uhh there was this guy who didn't get any of the questions in some exam so he put 2 pencils in his nose and headbutted the desk.. and died.. that's pretty stupid.

If you play metal you will need more than 30 watts of headroom in the power amp. 30 watts doesn't cut it for metal players in most cases.
Edit bdof beat me...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
because they're ace...
also the jcm 2000 series doesnt offer a decent combo
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
I never really understood why people get all up in arms over people buying half stacks.

30 watts may do it, but you don't have to settle for the bare minimum. A Chevette may get me from point A to B, but do I have to settle with just owning a Chevette?
When they make a Framus Cobra combo let me know

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by timi_hendrix
Why do people buy amps when you could just plug a multi-fx direct into the PA? It's not like they sound better or anything.

HEY, YOU. YOU THERE WITH THE AMP. YOU'RE A MORON. THAT AMP IS TOTALLY UNNECESSARY LOL!

'Tard.

stop smoking crack! there is nothing plugged into the pa that sounds as good as a real amp. with the only exception that ive heard being the axefx unit (which you havent heard of becasue your a NOOB) and they cost mucho dinero. with your statement your basically calling everyone in every band ever wrong. no one does this (cept meshuggah maybe)
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Quote by hoondog
stop smoking crack! there is nothing plugged into the pa that sounds as good as a real amp. with the only exception that ive heard being the axefx unit (which you havent heard of becasue your a NOOB) and they cost mucho dinero. with your statement your basically calling everyone in every band ever wrong. no one does this (cept meshuggah maybe)

He was being sarcastic.
Sarcasm Detector= broken in hoondog's case.

I'm all about the quarter stack personally. They look sexy, have almost the same bass response as a 4x12 and you can easily switch cabs - not that I would want to, my setup is just too aesthetically pleasing. At the risk of turning into zachman, I'll show you:

Sex, at least IMO. So that's why I'm happy with a stack.
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Jan 27, 2009,
Quote by Retro Rocker
He was being sarcastic.

^although he has also been known to smaoke crack on occasion.

more watts for more headroom?
for me because tube combos are too heavy.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Why do we have so many threads about this? Big deal, if people want stacks, let them buy stacks. Its like comparing people who drive cars to those who drive trucks.

EDIT: just because there's a combo version of an amp, doesn't mean it sounds the same as the stack version. Try a Peavey Windsor in both options.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Jan 27, 2009,
Quote by jj1565
^although he has also been known to smaoke crack on occasion.

more watts for more headroom?
for me because tube combos are too heavy.

Just call me up, I'll carry it for you

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by luyezi27
I mean isnt 30 tube watts more than enough for gigs (because you mic them)
even if u play on a big stage, isnt 50 watts enough? Even if its not enough, couldnt you turn the mic louder ?

Ive seen tons of people on youtube with stacks, and im pretty sure not all of them play at stadiums and such places

so why do people buy stacks ??
(this is just a question, im not trying to flame peopl that do)

Pretty dumb statement,

It does exist 5-3 watt half stacks, and it does exist 120w combos, for example

and alot of amps dont have a combo version of it. And if you got money you dont choose amps after wattage, you choose what you like the sound of the most..
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard