Quick question. I have a Duncan Designed HB-103 humbuk and want to upgrade. The SH6 Distortion seems like it would fit my style, but read the HB-103 is based after the SH6. I would like a pickup that can sound good under more gain than my HB-103. Do U think SH-6 would be like buying the same Hum, on With SD on it? Do you think the Invader would be a better choice, in your opinions?
I'd avoid Invaders, I'd either go with the SH-6, or a Dimarizio Super Distortion/ D-Activator
I have heard good things about the DiMarzio D-Activator and X2N. My main concern is getting a new set of pickups and having it sound the exact same. My pickups are in poor condition but since upgrading, wanted to get something that would pick up pinch harmonics a little better, and like I said, sound good under heavy distortion. I see the DM livewire set are the active versions of the SH-6. Do you think the active will add more sensitivity?
Actives are a lot higher output, so i'd assume they'd be more sensitive, just remember, if you get actives you're gonna need to dome some weird wiring, and maybe rout out a space for the battery if it doesn't fit in the control cavity.

Also, i'd be cautious of the X2N, i've heard it tends to be rather loose and muddy sounding
I figured I get actives with my next guitar, but started thinking about it with my current axe. I think I'll forget those. Have you (or know anybody that has) replaced Duncan Designed with Seymour Duncans? Was there much of a difference?
i can't say i have, nor do i know anyone who has, sorry. id suggest just waiting around for someone with more of an idea to pop in and have a look at this thread
Cool, thanks anyways man. I ckeck back later after work. BTW, PLay alot of Slayer, Lamb, Metallica, Pantera, and some classic rock if that helps.
Quote by Sick Man
I figured I get actives with my next guitar, but started thinking about it with my current axe. I think I'll forget those. Have you (or know anybody that has) replaced Duncan Designed with Seymour Duncans? Was there much of a difference?

i did, my jackson had the 103's in the neck and bridge and they got replaced with the '59 and custom custom respectively.

i've noticed a massive difference in the tone, especially in the neck because the 59 is so much different to the 103 (which is atrocious as a neck pup) but also in the bridge. I didnt mind the tone of my bridge pickup as it was so i opted for something somewhat similar sounding but with slightly less output and its great. The tonal balance is similar but its so much more articulate and you can hear the notes in chords ringing out with some distortion rather than getting one big mess of a sound and they're quieter when i'm not playing and the harmonics are better.

i think thats about it
Thats very helpful.
I bought my jackson kelly KE3 for about $700 in 97 or 98. I didn't know that much about pickups then, I just knew that that guitar felt right and sounded right at the time. It came with duncan designs but if I looked up the KE3 recently, all specs say they come with a JB and a Jazz. It is a KE3, so I don't know why these Dunc Designs are in here, never questioned it, just play the hell out of it. I figured the DD are the HB-103's judging from similiar jacksons. Is there a way to ID the pickups? Or does anyone know of a sight to look up Jackson SN's to find out what they came with from the factory?
the pickup name is written on the back of the pickups, its pretty straight forward to just unscrew the mounting rings and pull the pups out to have a look but you'll probably need to get the strings off
Disconnected the strings at the bridge last night and popped the pickups out. Their both HB-103 (HB103N, HB103B). They look worst than I thought they were. That summer the guitar was in my basement really did a number on them. Bits of rust all over the place.
I got a question about their wiring. On this guitars pickups, the black wire goes to ground, the green is going to the switch/selector. Any idea what the Red and White wires that are twisted together and taped off are for?
Ive wired in some Single Coils before and thought they only had 2 wires.
Quote by Sick Man
Disconnected the strings at the bridge last night and popped the pickups out. Their both HB-103 (HB103N, HB103B). They look worst than I thought they were. That summer the guitar was in my basement really did a number on them. Bits of rust all over the place.
I got a question about their wiring. On this guitars pickups, the black wire goes to ground, the green is going to the switch/selector. Any idea what the Red and White wires that are twisted together and taped off are for?
Ive wired in some Single Coils before and thought they only had 2 wires.

i think the red and white are like the out from one coil and then the in for the other so having them connected and taped together is like to use the whole pickup. i'm pretty sure that you can separate them and wire the guitar for coil tapping. i think thats done by sending one of the coils to ground with a push/pull pot or something