I was listening to some Sublime, and I was just wondering: How does Brad kill the sound so quickly? I've been messing around and couldn't find out how.
EDIT: I know sublime isn't ska per se, but I know alot of ska bands use this technique too.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
You mute it after you upstroke. It's all about the wrist and getting it down in time.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
theres a pretty good video on youtube about it, I'll try to find it

try searching for help on reggae strumming, too. ska's strummiong pattern is really similar to a sped-up reggae...
You mute it with your left hand by lifting it off the strings, and also with your right hand by pushing your palm down on them.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
I've noticed that Brad Nowell actually muted the chords more than most ska guitarists so to copy that sound that he uses in songs like STP, you can basically palm mute to the point where it's almost a percussive sound, and then you really don't need to worry much about muting with your left hand at all.

But like others said, if you want the note to ring out for like half a second or so then you basically practice reggae strumming patterns (slightly palm muted upstrokes) and speed it up.
Quote by Trowzaa
I immediately clenched my butthole after reading that...
Thanks for the speedy responses, guys. I'm no stranger to any of the aforementioned techniques, but I suppose it just comes down to the timing.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.