Hey everyone, I've recently started playing bass over the summer, and about 3 weeks ago finally purchased a bass amp for practice and something I thought I would be able to use to jam with a couple friends of mine.

I tried out the Line 6 110 Lowdown amp, sound was ok, but I don't think its loud enough, and for the money I spent, the sound doesn't really satisfy me, and it sounded kinda cheap to, so I'm gonna be returning it tomorrow and restart my hunt for another bass amp.

I liked having the built in effects, but couldn't get a sound/tone that I really liked with them, and playing with a pick sounded pretty bad to me.

I was thinking of just getting a plain old amp without any built in effects, and probably looking to purchase soem overdrive pedal, like the boss odb-3 or w/e else i encounter.

I like to play metallica alot, tool is also pretty awesome and i occasionally like RHCP as well, just with my line 6, i couldn't get a nice sound when playing with a pick, playing fingers was good for metallica, but it was still not my favourite tone, and i didn't think the little amp was loud enough, especially when all the reviews said it was extremely loud, but i didn't think so, for its size yea, but i dunno

My budget it around $500 canadian for the amp, so if there is anyone someone can recomend for playing metal, hard rock, mostly heavy stuff, and something i can use for practice as well as jamming with a guitarist and a drummer, please suggest soemthing, i'd probably head down to the store tomorrow afternoon adn fiddle around with some stuff

THANKS!
I think the reason this didn't get any replies untill now is because everyone read 'Line 6', shook their heads and clicked back.

If you had of asked about amps in the first place you could have saved yourself a good bit of money.
And I'm not sure about canadian dollars, but I'll say that Ashdown are my prefered make of amp, and you could most likely afford a decent sized one for your money.
Quote by Casketcreep
I think the reason this didn't get any replies untill now is because everyone read 'Line 6', shook their heads and clicked back.

If you had of asked about amps in the first place you could have saved yourself a good bit of money.
And I'm not sure about canadian dollars, but I'll say that Ashdown are my prefered make of amp, and you could most likely afford a decent sized one for your money.

yeah ashdown is a good one. get a used mag if you can.

also look at acoustic and carvin.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
SWR working pro 12? I think that's about how much they are but i might be mixing it up with something else.
Quote by Casketcreep

i had a 30 day return on it, i saw a few things online about it and thought it was worth trying it out. Not for me though so i went by on the way to work and got my full refund so i didn't lose any money...

i asked the sales guy there, same guy who helped me pick out a couple guitars way back when, he showed me a 100 watt ampeg amp, i can't for the life of me remember the model name, and i can't seem to find it online, but i'm gonna consider that one for sure, also a peavey amped seemed nice but i'll be looking at the ones you guys suggested for sure

doing some searches around here, i noticed a few people suggesting behringers, dunno if i have that name right, forgive me :p but just wanna know should i be searching for one of those??
Quote by imtiaz3
i had a 30 day return on it, i saw a few things online about it and thought it was worth trying it out. Not for me though so i went by on the way to work and got my full refund so i didn't lose any money...

i asked the sales guy there, same guy who helped me pick out a couple guitars way back when, he showed me a 100 watt ampeg amp, i can't for the life of me remember the model name, and i can't seem to find it online, but i'm gonna consider that one for sure, also a peavey amped seemed nice but i'll be looking at the ones you guys suggested for sure

doing some searches around here, i noticed a few people suggesting behringers, dunno if i have that name right, forgive me :p but just wanna know should i be searching for one of those??

Don't get Behringer.

Was this the Ampeg?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ampeg-BA115-Bass-Combo-100471440-i1145715.gc
Quote by grifff
Acoustic B200

+1

I love mine and I can get some nice sounds out of it, 6 band. I haven't used a pick with it really so I can't give an opinion but I love the tone I get with fingers. I have a Youtube video where I'm playing it that I can PM you.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by InvaderTSN

nah that wasn't it, thanks for checking though

i think may have found it actually

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ampeg-B100R-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=481773

it looked like that, its 100 watts, seems to add up, from what the guy did it sounded pretty good, i didn't get a chance to try it myself yet, but i'll doodle a bit tomorrow, its roughyl $560 i think for it, so i'm gonna have to fork over a bit more money, but it'll be worth it i think, not decided yet but i'll consider this one, anyone have any opinions on it??
I'd avoid the ampeg...the whole B-series is subpar and overpriced compared to amps with similar specs.

Based on your budget, I'd go for one of the following:

Acoustic B200 and cab: 120W(I think), 200W with a second cab. I'd recommend a 410. This will have a pretty clear tone.
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-B200H-200W-Bass-Head-and-B115-250W-1x15-Bass-Cab-Package?sku=483494

Ashdown MAG C210T-300: 180W, 300W with an extension. I'd recommend a 115. This will have a more woofy Ampeg-ish tone to it.
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-MAG-C210T300-Combo-Bass-Amp?sku=485033

They won't be too different in terms of volume, so look at what features they have.

edit: If you can fork over a bit more, I'd grab the Ashdown MAG C410T. Same as the one above, but attached to a 410 cab. It'll be plenty loud by itself, but if you throw another 410 under it at some point, it'll be an awesome 300W full stack.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Jan 28, 2009,
the Ampeg there doesn't seem too bad actually. a decent, if unspectacular amp.

but, I would look into the B200, very versatile.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Mutant Corn
I'd avoid the ampeg...the whole B-series is subpar and overpriced compared to amps with similar specs.

Based on your budget, I'd go for one of the following:

Acoustic B200 and cab: 120W(I think), 200W with a second cab. I'd recommend a 410. This will have a pretty clear tone.
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-B200H-200W-Bass-Head-and-B115-250W-1x15-Bass-Cab-Package?sku=483494

Ashdown C210T-300: 180W, 300W with an extension. I'd recommend a 115. This will have a more woofy Ampeg-ish tone to it.
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-MAG-C210T300-Combo-Bass-Amp?sku=485033

They won't be too different in terms of volume, so look at what features they have.

hey thanks for those links, i did a quick search on musicians friend for the b200 acoustic, and the price looks pretty sweet, i'll read up on those two you just linked

quick question, and forgive me cuz it'll probably sound noobie but i should know, comparing these two b200 acoustics one with a cab one without

b200 w/ cab

b200 w/o cab

now one has a cab, one doesn't, what purpose does the cab serve, i haven't looked into that cabinet stuff really, and seeing these two and since you recomended that one, i wanna know since its $80 more, what purpose does it serve, pros cons etc.

thanks guys, you've been really helpful
portability and you can make a sexy fullstack really. the tone is about the same.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

The head/cab combo is actually a bit louder, because the cab is quite a bit bigger. It also allows you to put the 115 on the floor if you decide to make a stack. (this is desirable)

But yeah, the tone is about the same. If you don't care about the other stuff, the combo would be better for you.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Jan 28, 2009,
Quote by Mutant Corn
The head/cab combo is actually a bit louder, because the cab is quite a bit bigger. IT also allows you to put the 115 on the floor if you decide to make a stack. (this is desirable)

because you can't put the head of the combo in the middle? the knobs aren't gonna rattle off.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

One is a Combo, the other is a Halfstack...

a Halfstack is the head and the Cab separately, the Combo just combines the two.

the advantages of the Halfstack options are that you can take the Head (Amplifier) and put it to another cab (speaker)

The Disadvantages are that there is one more piece to lug about. but it also makes the two pieces a little lighter. and when you do get more Cabs and what not you have to learn about Impedance and Ohm's

In the Combo, they are built into each other. Which makes moving them alot easier.

Though you can add another cab onto it, but without the help of a screwdriver or another similar tool it will stay with the 1x15
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by the humanity
because you can't put the head of the combo in the middle? the knobs aren't gonna rattle off.

But it looks funny

Plus, a full-size cab would be in an awkward spot on top of a combo like that. It'd be really easy to knock over.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
But it looks funny

Plus, a full-size cab would be in an awkward spot on top of a combo like that. It'd be really easy to knock over.

don't knock it over.

if the heads on top, it is still able to be knocked over.

and it just doesn't look the same- most people do it one way. does every one have to then?

I've played with a cab on a combo, nobody cared.

not my cab or combo, but a fine example nevertheless.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

^ I got a combo with a 1x15, and I got a 4x10 which I put on top. I took out the head from the 1x15 and in the Gap I'm building a Shelf to store bits and pieces.

Like an extra lead, and a tuner and stuff.

EDIT: And if it sounds good and matches up as to not cause damage then, who cares if it looks dead sexy... It will still look big and impressive.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Last edited by ZaccB at Jan 28, 2009,
your bits and pieces will rattle unless you pad the hole. (nutter, you better not make that sexual)

throw a little padding in there before you try to look big or impressive, you'll sound like someone managed to blow out a maraca.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

It sounds fine with the empty hole in there... And yes, I did realize the maraca paradox and was going to add some damn fine padding.

But thank you for noticing and caring.

And I recently shaved my head, because I thought I was getting an octave pedal... (that was lies to get me to shave m head ... )

so I look like a 6'6" penis...

Thats pretty big... and impressive right
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
oooh.

still not as big as mine though
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard