I'm looking for an upgrade and have roughly $500 to spend. I play a lot of Punk/Post Punk (Think Joy Division/Interpol tones) and was wondering if anyone could recommend me a bass in that price range.
I'd say a MIM Fender bass or a mid-range Ibanez, but there are a lot of options at $500.
The obvious choice would be a Fender standard precision bass.

My favourite in that price range would be an Ibanez ATK300 for punk/post punk, so you might want to check that out as well.
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Sounds redundant but a Fender Standard Precision bass would suit fine. Although don't forget to try out a Fender Jazz Bass.
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Go to your local music store and try evreything out, and see what you like to play, a p-bass might be perfect for the sound but you might hate playing it.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Carlos D uses a Fender Jazz in drop d with a pick. I'd recommend a Fender standard Jazz Bass.
I second the ATK300, It's got the feel of a P-bass with the versatility of.. well It's got the versatility of an active bass with a 3 way selector switch...
Quote by bassmastah5
my used schecter that i bought 4 a grand but selling for 450-500

What Schecter did you buy for a grand? *Searches.*
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by bassmastah5
my used schecter that i bought 4 a grand but selling for 450-500

You know their highest model sells for 800 right?

As for the bass, pretty much anything with Fender-style pickups can be used. The P-bass is very, very popular in punk, though a Jazz would do just fine, and I'm pretty sure the Offspring's bassist uses an ATK.

If I had to recommend one right now, I'd go for the figured Koa ATK750 that's on sale for $350 right now. The normal ATK750 sells for $700, and isn't as cool as this.
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-ATK750KA-Figured-Koa-Bass-Guitar?sku=516146
Nope, no sig here.
Fender jazz.

no, really.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
After trying out some of the options you guys have given, I've decided to go with a Fender Jazz. Thanks for the help.