Evening all, I'm looking into getting a new axe at somepoint, and I'm absolutely in love with spalted maple.

The thing is, I can only seem to find ~4 guitars that come 'off the shelf' with spalted maple tops, and I'd prefer not to have to go custom.

So, can EG tell me about any guitars that come with spalted maple tops and preferably no trem?

So far I've seen the ESP FX range, the Exotic Class BCR's, and the Dean Exotic Class MLs, Zs and Vs which would be fine were it not for the eyesore of a bridge piece they have.

Cheers!
the ESP FX are beautiful guitars. I don't know any other guitars with that top, but MAYBE some les pauls ?
Spalt maple needs to be very carefully selected, and then treated (normally with an epoxy resin based sealant). Most large companies can't regulate the necessary level of quality control in the wood selection, hence why it's rare to find production guitars with spalt tops.

Agile offer spalt tops on three of their LP-shaped models:

http://www.rondomusic.com/product1350.html

http://www.rondomusic.com/product1758.html

http://www.rondomusic.com/al2000spalted.html

You'll have to go custom if you want a highly figured spalt like this though:

As has been said, Spalted Maple is something you won't often find on lower end guitars- not high grade spalted maple anyway. It's an absolute pain to work with, since it's pretty much maple decomposed by fungi. Lots of work goes into making a spalted maple top.
I bet you could get one of the resident luthiers to build one for you. Couldn't tell you how much it would be though. LPAddict makes some great stuff.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I believe Dean has spalted maple on some of their other models as well, like the EVO.

I also know that Fender, Michael Kelly, Carvin, Parker, BC Rich, Brian Moore, Ibanez, Washburn and Warmoth (as well as countless custom luthiers) offer spalted maple guitars in their lines.

Most are, however, limited editions or special orders. Of Carvin, for instance, this site says
http://www.carvinmuseum.com/playersgallery/holdsworth.html

Carvin does not offer spalted maple as a standard option, but there have been several spalted models made.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 27, 2009,
carvin?

nvm^ didnt see.

they do have 2 other types of quilted maple on option.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Jan 27, 2009,
I'm sure, despite its absence as a standard option, Carvin would be willing to do a spalted maple for anyone willing to pay for it.

"Pay" being the operative word- who knows what that kind of option costs?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by ML_Guitar09
Fender has a Tele that has a spalted maple top.

This. Sexy as hell.
I have a spalted maple tele and it is gorgeous. Even more so than other spalted maple teles because they all look different. I once saw one that looked like it was made out of regular healthy wood.. no character.
David St. Hubbins: Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year. It's just not really widely reported.
- Spinal Tap
A Carvin made guitar costs $300 dollars additional for the spalted top. Lol
I would heavily advise people against buying guitars with spalted maple online. If you see a guitar with spalted maple that you like in a store near you then great, but buying online is too much of a gamble. Spalted maple varies so wildly that there's just as much chance of getting a fugly piece as there is of getting a pretty piece. Of course all wood various, but it is so much more obvious with spalted maple than any other wood. If you can see the exact guitar you're buying then brilliant, if not I do not believe it is even remotely worth the risk.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Ibanez S670PB.

Check my profile. It's a Burled top, but it's essentially the same "natural" look.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Spalted maple is ugly.
Quilted > Spalted
You stole my heart!
You ran away!
Now I'm heartless!
So fuck you anyway!
Quote by MrFlibble
I would heavily advise people against buying guitars with spalted maple online. If you see a guitar with spalted maple that you like in a store near you then great, but buying online is too much of a gamble. Spalted maple varies so wildly that there's just as much chance of getting a fugly piece as there is of getting a pretty piece. Of course all wood various, but it is so much more obvious with spalted maple than any other wood. If you can see the exact guitar you're buying then brilliant, if not I do not believe it is even remotely worth the risk.

Yeah I couldnt agree more, it really does vary good advice fibble!
David St. Hubbins: Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year. It's just not really widely reported.
- Spinal Tap
here's my favorite. the BC Rich Exotic Assassin. they aren't in production anymore, but if you can find one...

Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by Deliriumbassist
. It's an absolute pain to work with, since it's pretty much maple decomposed by fungi. Lots of work goes into making a spalted maple top.

I never knew that. Cool.

My friend has an LTD FX-260. Pretty good guitar, I must say. The pickups are a little weak though, but the coil-taps make up for it.

The finish is really nice on it, but then again, I'm no pro.

^^ True enough. You might end up with some pretty ugly 'designs' if you buy online. And by designs I mean the shape of a penis in the 'woodgrain'/'fungi-holes'.
Quote by Wulphy
Ibanez S670PB.

Check my profile. It's a Burled top, but it's essentially the same "natural" look.

That's way different than a well-figured spalted top.

EDIT: And yes, like DeriliumBassist said, it's maple that's been decomposed but is caught before it gets past the point of becoming unusable wood.
Last edited by Pac_man0123 at Sep 13, 2009,
Here's a description from the Warwick website:

The distinctive markings of spalted maple wood do not come from growth errors, as is the case with flamed or quilted maple. Rather, these markings arise from a decomposition process deep within the maple’s trunk. What essentially happens is that dying wood undergoes a chemical breakdown facilitated by decomposing fungi. The wood is then described as “spalted.” Only trees that are still standing are usable for instrument making, since a downed trunk soon falls victim to insects and riddled with wormholes. Therefore, the best conditions for acquiring wood with this distinctive spalted texture are achieved when the tree reaches the end of its lifespan, begins to die off, but still remains standing. Fungi have already begun at this point to break down the tree from deep inside the trunk outward. This process gives rise to unusually interesting markings that are comparable to the appearance of fine marble.

Since ancient times, elegant marble has served as an exclusive status symbol, drawing attention and respect toward its owner. No less exclusive is a bass instrument that’s styled to the fullest with unique, marbleized spalted maple. The effect is both powerful and alluring.

Spalted maple has a specific weight of between 250 and 500 kg/m³, depending on how advanced the state of decomposition is.
Have a look at the LTD FX series the 401 is very nice, i have the 260SM and i'm very happy with it
my fx 260 is spalted maple but it almost looks fake haha. some of the edges have black outlines that no **** look like they were drawn on there. i dont mind it because the rest of the guitar is beautiful. i got this about a year and a half ago, im pretty sure it was $350-$400. you can get the fx400 with grovers, graphite nut, and emgs if you want. honestly, these "ESP" pups work really well with the guitar. they're very versatile, although im gonna put these in my washburn tele and put my SD dimebucker and full shred in the fx.

see what i mean about the black lines

my flash hides what the body actually looks like. its really quite nice. the neck is 5 pc mahogany/walnut.

only thing is the high E doesnt sit totally in the nut slot. not sure if thats a common problem among these, but as soon as i stop being lazy, i can carve the slot just a smidge deeper to fix that.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

My high E sits perfectly in the nut slot. However i have sparzel locking tuners that were on there when i bought it

However mien looks totally different ot that

Mine is a 2007 model i bought used last month,
yours photos > my photos

what pups ya got in that? cant quite tell what your neck is

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Quote by SYLrules88
yours photos > my photos

what pups ya got in that? cant quite tell what your neck is

Dimarzio evo passive one,

got it with it, sounds alright but can't tell much difference between my stock 170dx ones and it because of my amp i guess
Recommended threads
Bc Rich Bass
shifty333
Last post:
by Tostitos
esp ex/fx?
pushcarich
Last post:
by SYLrules88