Ok, today I built part of a solo that im trying to make in Dorian, I've seen lots of people transitioning to other Modes when soloing, but everytime I try to either transition to another Mode, It doesn't sound right. Is their some type of rule that tells you how to alternate between modes?
Thanks
Chris
My Gear
Epiphone G-400
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland Cube 15X
Boss Distortion DS-1
i've found changing after you hit the root note to be a good way. also switch to the note that makes the scale different. for instance, playing in e minor, if you are about to play the second note, flatten it and that'll make it phyrigian
Ok, I kinda understand, so instead of just moving and over all change of mode just simply, make a note flat or sharp an move into the next mode?
My Gear
Epiphone G-400
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland Cube 15X
Boss Distortion DS-1
What mode do you intend on adding in? And what chords are you building it over? You could throw in some accidentals as chromatic runs instead of conciously changing modes? If you just want to create some more interest in the solo.
Em, A, D, Bm. I thought about adding some accendtals but everything I try seems to be just making the solo kinda out of tone. (If you understand) so I decided that I might have to move to a new mode.
My Gear
Epiphone G-400
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland Cube 15X
Boss Distortion DS-1
Quote by ChrisSousa
Em, A, D, Bm. I thought about adding some accendtals but everything I try seems to be just making the solo kinda out of tone. (If you understand) so I decided that I might have to move to a new mode.

I'm not sure if this will work very well as I can't try it right now but try just switching to E Dorian over the A chord since that's the chord that really contains the "dorian note" in the progression; apart from that one chord the progression may as well be Aeolian really...

If you want to get the hang of modal soloing try creating a chord progression that leans on the note that really defines the mode which, for dorian, would be the natural 6 or C#/Db in the case of E.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.