Okay, I've been playing around 2 and half years. I was in a rut, so I'm taking lessons again.

Hes got me learning the CAGED system.

Any tips, other than practice, practice, practice, practice, etc. ?
what is this CAGED system?
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
You have a cage, and a guitar.

You go inside the cage, with the guitar

Edit: Seriously, I have no idea but I'd like to know too
You pick a note. Say C.

You then make a C chord using the C chord shape, A chord shape, G shape, E shape, D shape.

Its supposed to help you learn voicings up and down the neck. It also ties in to power chords, and box-shape soloing. Also alot of blues players use this.
I like to practice them by first playing a chord, then playing the scale that corresponds to that chord shape, and then playing the next chord in the key, and so on.

for example:
play an A minor chord at the fifth fret, then play the A minor scale (578, 578, 57, 457, 568, 578)

And it's not really a short term thing to work on, get down, and move on to the next thing. It's the type of thing that you pick up now, and continue to progress with for the rest of your life. So in that way, it's not a very materialistically rewarding thing I suppose, and it may feel as though you aren't progressing as well as you'd hoped, but stick with it, it's amazingly helpful. Also, analyzing songs will be a lot of help. Seeing what shapes your favorite players use in their soloing, the transitions they make, etc.

edit: oops, I just saw the forum you posted under. This should be moved to Musician Talk I believe.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Last edited by MTVget0FFtheAIR at Jan 27, 2009,
The CAGED system is an incredibly useful way of learning to use the whole fretboard when improvising. I'm surprised your teacher didn't give you any actual exercises to use to practise your knowledge, but maybe those are to come.
You should aim to be able to improvise over a static chord, and if someone were to stop you on any note, you'd be able to play the related chord voicing instantly. After that, you start applying it to chord progressions.