Alright, here goes. As I continue to play my guitar, I continue to hate my crappy Line 6 Spider 3 15w amp. When I got my guitar, the deal was I paid for the guitar, my parents bought me a new amp, and pass my old equipment to my Brother. But, as long as it was around $100, when I saw the Spider. Now, I HATE MYSELF! I have the crazy idea in the back of my head that I want a better amp, this time on my terms.

I like to play Rock, pretty much anything with Slash. So I'm looking for a good sounding amp close to his. (Not any Stacks though, something small so I can at least get it in my room)

Seeing as I don't have a job, I don't make alot of money. So I am looking for something in the range of maybe $100-$300? I don't really know if I'm going to get anything great in that range, but there's always a chance.

And as far as size goes, maybe something around 1/8", just like the Spider. I don't have a lot of room.

I've looked at Marshall's amps, and I saw the MG series, when the MG30DFX caught my eye. Would this be any good for what I want to play? (By the way, I have an Epi Les Paul Standard Plus)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if you think there is another amp I could get, please tell me!
The MG would be no better than your Spider. IMO, the MG is WORSE than the spider. Save up more money. Check out used amps. Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY AN MG!!!
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
MGs are not great amps, and tone is mostly amp, in order to get a guitarist's tone, you'll need to buy his amps.

Get a Peavey Vypyr 30 or 75, its the closest to your budget.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Yeah, an MG isn't much of a step up from the Spider, IMO they are better than Spiders, but not by much. Sadly I fell vicitim to the name Marshall.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
The Spider is fine until you can afford a tube amp; switching from one modelling amp to another is a waste IMO.
You'll get a much more believable classic rock tone with a tube amp. It's worth the extra cost.
You want Marshall tone, so I suggest you save up for a Traynor or get an Orange Tiny Terror. More to the point, the one thing it seems impossible to find in the world of modelling is a good Marshall model; Spider is digital sounding, Vypyr and Cube just sound too bassy for me.

Yes, I'm on the tube bandwagon. It's the most reasonable bandwagon in the world, so don't bring it up :/
Dude, I just realized you're pretty much same as me.

I bought Les Paul Standard Plus, and a Fender Frontman. Hated the tone, so I got a G-Dec Jr. (modeling amp). Modeling amps are pretty cool with all the stuff you can do with it. I know it doesn't have the best quality, but what kinda amp gives quality at ~<$300? I say it was really worth the experience.

Get a modeling amp.

MAJOR EDIT:
F!ck I hate myself. Ignore all i said. Didn't see you already had a modeling amp lol. I got a Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 if that helps at all lol
Last edited by 1337guitarplayr at Jan 27, 2009,
Im kind of in the same boat you are, Ive got a Roland Cube 15x, and Im looking for something that will give me a way better tone, so Im torn between the Peavey Vypyr 75, the Vypyr 60 and even considering the Valveking Half-stack. =\
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by Mitochondria9
Im kind of in the same boat you are, Ive got a Roland Cube 15x, and Im looking for something that will give me a way better tone, so Im torn between the Peavey Vypyr 75, the Vypyr 60 and even considering the Valveking Half-stack. =\

Cheap modelling doesn't really get much better than the Cube if you ask me.
If you are in the US, $300 would get you a used blues jr or classic 30. Both are good rock amps.

Edit: Ah, Canada. What major city are you near?
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jan 27, 2009,
Quote by Rock Pig
Cheap modelling doesn't really get much better than the Cube if you ask me.

The Cube 15 has rather limited modeling options, and I cannot get a decent tone out of the 15 watts it provides, at least for what I like to play.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
check craigslist for a peavey classic 30, it's all tube if your lucky you can find one around $300 hundred. It is great for classic rock but if you want harder rock or metal I would look into a peavey vyper.
my gear:
Epiphone LP standard
roland microcube
Quote by gregs1020
Ah, Canada. What major city are you near?

2.5 hours from Toronto.

So far, I've checked out the Cube and Vypyr, and I still don't know. I wish I had money!
Really, you should save more money.

But if you must buy an amp with what you've got, get a Vox Valvetronix. Great little amp for the money. The model in your price range would be plenty light, too.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
Epiphone Valve Jr.?

Blackheart Killer Ant? (will probably give you a more Marshall-y tone than the VJ)
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Those are two good modeling amps. I checked YYZ clist, focking prices are insane up there. The B-52 at112 is $359 on musiciansfriend, but it's probably larger and more wattage than you want. Honestly though I would look for a V16 Palomino or Crate V18. Also if you find a used Crate VC3112 or VC2112.
Quote by Mitochondria9
MGs are not great amps, and tone is mostly amp, in order to get a guitarist's tone, you'll need to buy his amps.

Get a Peavey Vypyr 30 or 75, its the closest to your budget.

Good plan.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
You should find a used tube amp around $300, like one of those Crate Palomino amps, or a used Peavey tube. I know I've seen around here a used Classic 30 at like $380cad. If you want a good Slash/hard rock tone, the Classic 30 would beat the crap out of any of those modelling amps.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
What about a Distortion Pedal? Would it do any good?
Last edited by Puddle ofMudd25 at Jan 27, 2009,
save up. get the lowest level bugera combo
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
Quote by Puddle ofMudd25
What about a Distortion Pedal? Would it do any good?

Nope. I tried a Boss DS-1 (which is probably what you'd get, seeing as you don't have much cash) with my Spider and it sounded like absolute crap.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Scrape $100 more together, or borrow it, and get a B-52. It's not a Slash tone (it's American rather than British voiced) but it's a good tube amp if you're averse to buying used or not allowed to.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I was also looking at the Marshall Jackhammers, would that be the same as the Boss, or better? (Seeing as it's double the price, but it's also Marshall)

I also saw the Guv'nor, and I;m interested in them both. I might try them out sometime.
Last edited by Puddle ofMudd25 at Jan 27, 2009,
I just had an MG, but I took it back because of the sucky tone it had. I came out with my Vypyr. It has great tone and I can get pretty much any tone out of it I want. I struggled with the MG and never could achieve the tone I was looking for.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Yamaha FG730S
Peavey Predator
1961 Acoustic Kay
Classical Rhapsody
Zakk Wylde Crybaby Wah Pedal
Boss SD-1
Quote by BD 425
Nope. I tried a Boss DS-1 (which is probably what you'd get, seeing as you don't have much cash) with my Spider and it sounded like absolute crap.

That's because you tried it on a Spider, Spiders hate pedals. MG's actually take pedals well.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by DeltaFunk
That's because you tried it on a Spider, Spiders hate pedals. MG's actually take pedals well.

False statement.

MG's sound awful even with good pedals. I've used my TS9 and it sounds terrible.

TS, stop looking at OD and dist. pedals. You need an amp.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
Quote by LP51122
False statement.

MG's sound awful even with good pedals. I've used my TS9 and it sounds terrible.

TS, stop looking at OD and dist. pedals. You need an amp.

+1
I tried my Zendrive 2, Mosferatu, my friends OCD and my other friends Kaden Brown Creeper through mine and it was terrible. I wound up throwing it at my wall.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Stop looking at anything marshall. You are one of the many people under the impression that Marshall is the best. Marshall is ONE of the best if you are willing to pay upwards of $2000.

Get a used Tube amp or something.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
If it's nothing more than a Marshall type tone you're after, the Voc Valvetronix does a pretty good Marshall sound but it won't go much higher in terms of gain. If you'd like more grunt in the distortion, look at the Peavey Vypyr.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1