Ok, I really can not decide on these two. I want to be able to play everything. Yes, everything, but I dont want to be skimping on one end. For example, I guess I dont want the Classic to be skimping on the death metal end, but I dont want the Hellraiser to be skimping on the classic rock/clean/crunch end.

If you know what I mean, could you please help?

Basically, which guitar allows you to play EVERYTHING to the fullest, without losing anything?
have u actually played these guitars? i wanted a schecter hellraiser c-1 fr last week till i played one a few days ago and i completely hated it. if u havent played them, go play one at guitar center. otherwise id say go with the hellraiser and change the pickups to your liking
Quote by gtrplyr
have u actually played these guitars? i wanted a schecter hellraiser c-1 fr last week till i played one a few days ago and i completely hated it. if u havent played them, go play one at guitar center. otherwise id say go with the hellraiser and change the pickups to your liking

I agree. I thought they were awesome and all but now im an ibanez guy. Btw, changing pickups from EMGs to passives is a lot easier said than done..
i would get the c-1 classic because in my experience floyd rose systems are just really annoying and a pain in the ass. It makes it much more difficult to change tunings because you have to unlock it every time, and when you do change tunings theres all kinds of buzz and the action becomes off because they are specifically set up for standard. Floyd Roses also require seem to require more maitenence aswell. Also once you get it, after a while you won't find yourself doing much with the whammy anyways.

Also emgs are more geared towards metal etc and the clean tones arent the most renowned. If you go with the C-1 Classic you can pretty much get any tone that you would want with effects pedals and your amp.
yeah...
Last edited by bfmv103193 at Jan 27, 2009,
Quote by gtrplyr

wat

Anyway, it really depends on how the hellraiser is set up. If it's set up well, it will be awesome. I played a few, and one was set up like crap. Didn't feel good. The others, however, were nice.
Quote by jetfuel495
wat

Anyway, it really depends on how the hellraiser is set up. If it's set up well, it will be awesome. I played a few, and one was set up like crap. Didn't feel good. The others, however, were nice.

lol, well played

i meant out of those 2, get the hellraiser. but thats my opinion since ive never played the classic so just go ahead and ignore my post.
Quote by jetfuel495
wat

Well when you think about it his post makes perfect sense. He's warning him that he may not like the hellraiser if he hasn't played it, but if he likes it then it would obviously be a good choice.
Quote by gtrplyr
lol, well played

i meant out of those 2, get the hellraiser. but thats my opinion since ive never played the classic so just go ahead and ignore my post.

Hellraisers are indeed nice, but Floyd Rose systems can be tricky.

EDIT:
Quote by Pac_man0123
Well when you think about it his post makes perfect sense. He's warning him that he may not like the hellraiser if he hasn't played it, but if he likes it then it would obviously be a good choice.

maybe I just like to have a bit of fun
So...most people say that the classic is the way to go??

Also, does anyone know if the classic would work nicely with a Peavey Vypyr 75W?
If you're using a solid state modeling amp the classic is definitely a better idea than an active pup equipped guitar.Actives are designed to drive cranked tube amps even further,and wont work well with a lower end SS amp at all.Out of curiosity,what guitar are you currently using?

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
If you're using a solid state modeling amp the classic is definitely a better idea than an active pup equipped guitar.Actives are designed to drive cranked tube amps even further,and wont work well with a lower end SS amp at all.Out of curiosity,what guitar are you currently using?

A Squier Strat and a 15W Fender Frontman that came with it. Had it for about a year and I finally saved up enough money to get new stuff. My teacher said that at my ability I should have had a new guitar after about 3 or 4 months, but not enough money.
Quote by Knoknonhvnsdoor
A Squier Strat and a 15W Fender Frontman that came with it. Had it for about a year and I finally saved up enough money to get new stuff. My teacher said that at my ability I should have had a new guitar after about 3 or 4 months, but not enough money.

Definitely the classic then,or some other guitar with a versatile set of passives in it.The actives in the HR would give abysmal clean tones through that amp,since actives can only give decent cleans at best.It's a tough choice because both the amp and guitar need to be replaced,the classic wont sound amazing through that amp,but it will be a huge upgrade in feel and playability over the squire.As far as the classic being able to do death metal,it really depends on what amp you run it through.If you run it through a 6505 or something that's got a lot of gain on tap then it can do it,but I honestly don't know if it could get that heavy using a SS amp.I'd say replace the guitar first then go after a lower wattage or cheaper tube amp afterward.You hear a lot of people on UG preaching the virtues of tubes,and there's a good reason for that.They beat out SS amps in nearly every category and even a cheaper one would be a big improvement over the amp you're using now.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
Definitely the classic then,or some other guitar with a versatile set of passives in it.The actives in the HR would give abysmal clean tones through that amp,since actives can only give decent cleans at best.It's a tough choice because both the amp and guitar need to be replaced,the classic wont sound amazing through that amp,but it will be a huge upgrade in feel and playability over the squire.As far as the classic being able to do death metal,it really depends on what amp you run it through.If you run it through a 6505 or something that's got a lot of gain on tap then it can do it,but I honestly don't know if it could get that heavy using a SS amp.I'd say replace the guitar first then go after a lower wattage or cheaper tube amp afterward.You hear a lot of people on UG preaching the virtues of tubes,and there's a good reason for that.They beat out SS amps in nearly every category and even a cheaper one would be a big improvement over the amp you're using now.

Yes, I have enough for the guitar an amp, but I am debating between the Peavey Vypyr 75W or the Line 6 Spider III 75W.
Quote by Knoknonhvnsdoor
Yes, I have enough for the guitar an amp, but I am debating between the Peavey Vypyr 75W or the Line 6 Spider III 75W.

How much are those? They may be an improvement over your current amp,but they are still SS modeling amps,which IMO most guitarists grow tired of once they develop a good ear for tone.It'd be better to get an amp that you can use for your formative years and smaller gigs/jam sessions and be completely satisfied with until you're ready to move on to a professional level amplifier.You should consider splitting your budget between the amp and guitar,say $500 for each.You can find a lot of good tube amps in that price range both new and used and Schecter makes some nice guitars in that range as well.I'm not trying to sound pushy but I've been in your situation before and I kept upgrading my guitars thinking that was my problem,but the entire time it was my amp.I just want you to get the most improvement in your sound and playing quality for your money.

Quote by Pr0gNut
How much are those? They may be an improvement over your current amp,but they are still SS modeling amps,which IMO most guitarists grow tired of once they develop a good ear for tone.It'd be better to get an amp that you can use for your formative years and smaller gigs/jam sessions and be completely satisfied with until you're ready to move on to a professional level amplifier.You should consider splitting your budget between the amp and guitar,say $500 for each.You can find a lot of good tube amps in that price range both new and used and Schecter makes some nice guitars in that range as well.I'm not trying to sound pushy but I've been in your situation before and I kept upgrading my guitars thinking that was my problem,but the entire time it was my amp.I just want you to get the most improvement in your sound and playing quality for your money.

They are both $300. Do you know of any tube amps that I could get for that price or maybe a bit more?
Quote by Knoknonhvnsdoor
They are both $300. Do you know of any tube amps that I could get for that price or maybe a bit more?

There a a few in that price range.Blackheart makes good smaller wattage tube amps that can get good tube cleans and high gain when driven with a pedal.Fender makes a 15 watt tube amp called the super champ XD that has built in effects and voices ranging from high gain to classic fender cleans.Crate also makes some decent lower wattage tube combos for that price.For more than 300 you start getting into amps like the Peavey valveking,which is a solid tube amp stock and can be great with some simple mods.You can also find amps like the 5150 which is great for high gain on the used market for as low as 500 USD.You can net some of the Bugera series tube combos for that price on the used market as well,which have a good rep and a huge thread dedicated to them in the GG&A forum.What styles do you play? Since you asked for a versatile guitar I'm assuming you will want a versatile amp as well?

Quote by Pr0gNut
There a a few in that price range.Blackheart makes good smaller wattage tube amps that can get good tube cleans and high gain when driven with a pedal.Fender makes a 15 watt tube amp called the super champ XD that has built in effects and voices ranging from high gain to classic fender cleans.Crate also makes some decent lower wattage tube combos for that price.For more than 300 you start getting into amps like the Peavey valveking,which is a solid tube amp stock and can be great with some simple mods.You can also find amps like the 5150 which is great for high gain on the used market for as low as 500 USD.You can net some of the Bugera series tube combos for that price on the used market as well,which have a good rep and a huge thread dedicated to them in the GG&A forum.What styles do you play? Since you asked for a versatile guitar I'm assuming you will want a versatile amp as well?

Yea, I guess...

But whats so great about tube amps compared to the Vypyr or the Spider?

What about Valve amps, are they the same as tube amps?
Quote by Knoknonhvnsdoor
Yea, I guess...

But whats so great about tube amps compared to the Vypyr or the Spider?

What about Valve amps, are they the same as tube amps?

Yup,valve amps and tube amps are the same thing.The thing that makes tube amps superior to say the spider or vypyr is that they have better sound quality and are much more responsive to things such as guitar and pickup specs,picking dynamics,and the general little quirks and nuances in your playing style.With SS modeling amps you don't hear your guitars individual tonal characteristics,it gets lost in all the digital modeling and ends up just sounding like the model being used.With a tube amp things like differences in body wood,pups,picking style,and how you play will become more prevalent and you'll have a better idea of what needs to be improved upon in your playing.In general,tube amps beat out solid states in nearly every category.Of course,there are exceptions to the rule,but in this case a tube amp would sound better than the amps you mentioned.To me,digital modeling sounds very fake and sterile,I can't get the little dynamics of my playing to ring out through them.Tube amps have a much warmer and more organic tone,and react well to subtle differences in a guitarists technique.

Well it looks like I'll be going with the Classic, pretty good guitar. Im gonna get to play it in a few days.

And I think its probably going to be the Peavey Vypyr 75W as well.

And I know this is the wrong forum, but does anyone know if the DigiTech XMM Metal Master Heavy Metal Distortion Pedal is any good or does anyone know much about it? Would it work well with this amp and guitar? Im looking to be able to get that kind of Disturbed/Slipknot/Metallica tone out of it.
For my next guitar I was thinking about the C1 Classic, but also the Bc Rich Assassin Fx6, it looks just like the Classic but some different things, definately get the Vypyr over the Line 6, I have a Line 6 15W, I should have gone with a Small Marshall combo, line 6 sounds too digital, everyone saying that was right.
Quote by Pac_man0123
I'd go for the classic because it'll be more versatile. However, it doesn't have a trem. Whatever floats your boat.

Same... Plus I don't like EMG's.

Quote by Pr0gNut
Yup,valve amps and tube amps are the same thing.The thing that makes tube amps superior to say the spider or vypyr is that they have better sound quality and are much more responsive to things such as guitar and pickup specs,picking dynamics,and the general little quirks and nuances in your playing style.With SS modeling amps you don't hear your guitars individual tonal characteristics,it gets lost in all the digital modeling and ends up just sounding like the model being used.With a tube amp things like differences in body wood,pups,picking style,and how you play will become more prevalent and you'll have a better idea of what needs to be improved upon in your playing.In general,tube amps beat out solid states in nearly every category.Of course,there are exceptions to the rule,but in this case a tube amp would sound better than the amps you mentioned.To me,digital modeling sounds very fake and sterile,I can't get the little dynamics of my playing to ring out through them.Tube amps have a much warmer and more organic tone,and react well to subtle differences in a guitarists technique.

Fail tube elitism is fail. You really never have played a Vypyr have you? They're VERY responsive compared to most modeling amps. Also, you've never played a good SS amp. they can be quite good.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Jan 28, 2009,
i bought a vypyr off of good reviews only and have never been more disappointed in my life... The super champ or vibro champ sound 1000x better (even though they arent full tube) and range from 250-300.....
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
With boys it's like "here's an incredibly complex sport to learn with sophisticated rules and various interdependent roles to play in a social unit."

For girls it's like "here's Barbie...you're fat!"
Quote by gtrplyr
have u actually played these guitars? i wanted a schecter hellraiser c-1 fr last week till i played one a few days ago and i completely hated it. if u havent played them, go play one at guitar center.

+1
Quote by dannyniceboy
i bought a vypyr off of good reviews only and have never been more disappointed in my life... The super champ or vibro champ sound 1000x better (even though they arent full tube) and range from 250-300.....

+1
Last edited by Horlicks at Jan 30, 2009,
this

I want it so bad.

I think the classic would have a fuller tone because it doesn't have a fr.
But yea play both before you buy.
Why should I come down?
From here, I can see forever.