I am about to get my epiphone les paul special 2 lefty and peavey vypyr 15 tommorrow.I am a beginner and ordered all the bits to go with them.I plan to practice alot.Did your views change on music knowing how hard it is to learn guitar.
All i know is i have wanted to learn since i was playing air guitar to my new def leppard casette of hysteria in the 80's.

Let the fun and confusion begin.

oh thanks to everybody here for the infomation i gathered of the past couple of months.Hell i was going to buy a marshall mg series til you lot warned me off it
I walked out of guitar center with an ibanez 4 years ago as my first guitar. One step out the door:

BAM!

I got laid.
Quote by Primus2112
I just asked a guestion regarding a music store myth and my thread turns into a discussion about titfucking bagged milk.

Dont get the mg lol. No seriously the whole way you listen to music feel about posers like the Jonas Brothers wil completely change.
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II(
"Epicaster" pimped out strat
Fender Blues Jr.
DeltaLab RD1 Rock distortion
Barber handmade USA Direct Drive Overdrive
DeltaLab Stereo chorus
MXR 6 band EQ
yes...
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
I definately noticed after playing for awhile, you start to hear music differently. The bass comes out a little more on some songs, and i think you become more interested in guitar-oriented music.
it really isnt that hard to learn
stay away from scales fro the first while
i teacher may help,but i didnt need one
yea,my view changed,i looked past those "rock" bands thta you hear on the radio (nickelback,and those guys) nd turned more onto the path of classic rock,metal,hard rock, and said,wow! this sont is an amzing song!
tab search,1 week later,im playing with the song

good luck
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
yes my view on music totaly changed....
i used to think AC/DC was the best band ever
now im listening to metallica,slayer, and all that stuff
Quote by Valid12891
I wish I had an extra sensitive third nipple, and a girl who was into that sort of thing.

Quote by _Ixnay_
In Russia, Winter Cold + Vodka + Big-Chested Women = No problem.

Book of shadows 2?
O_o
Quote by fretsofthebeast
yes my view on music totaly changed....
i used to think AC/DC was the best band ever
now im listening to metallica,slayer, and all that stuff

Metallica.
Like seriously?
no offence,but i didnt listen fro a week,and my life was going better
like honestly

AC/DC isnt the best,but do you listen to Megadeth or Pantera?
now those guys are good

and this all came from playing
Quote by nowa90
Metallica.
Like seriously?
no offence,but i didnt listen fro a week,and my life was going better
like honestly

AC/DC isnt the best,but do you listen to Megadeth or Pantera?
now those guys are good

and this all came from playing

Do you listen to Necrophagist, Jason Becker, Cacophony, or Cynic?

Let the guy listen to MetallicA if he wants to. I personally hate everything Metallica has put out since AJFA, but early Metallica is great.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
COMPLETELY. Well, not completely for me, because I have already been immersed and obsessed with music since 6th grade (trumpet/french horn player), but the way I listen to and appreciate rock music (or ANYTHING with a guitar) has completely changed. I will bet that you will start to think bands like The Jonas Brothers and Green Day (from a guitarist skill standpoint. the music was alright, but the guitar... oh lord) are complete posers.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
Quote by V.U.K
Do you listen to Necrophagist, Jason Becker, Cacophony, or Cynic?

Let the guy listen to MetallicA if he wants to. I personally hate everything Metallica has put out since AJFA, but early Metallica is great.

i think nothing is really great,maybe their first album..bc they had mustaine
no,yes (2 vids off youtube,hes a pretty quick player,i like him.no and no
Quote by TehMasterSword
COMPLETELY. Well, not completely for me, because I have already been immersed and obsessed with music since 6th grade (trumpet/french horn player), but the way I listen to and appreciate rock music (or ANYTHING with a guitar) has completely changed. I will bet that you will start to think bands like The Jonas Brothers and Green Day (from a guitarist skill standpoint. the music was alright, but the guitar... oh lord) are complete posers.
+1
i never liked the joe bros
green day is ok,but im starting the last few weeks not listening to them,more into iron maiden,jimi,megadeth,pantera, and some alice cooper.

especially that its all quite playable for me
your world changes
for the record i hold megadeth and cacophony both in very high esteem.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by qotsa1998
I definately noticed after playing for awhile, you start to hear music differently. The bass comes out a little more on some songs, and i think you become more interested in guitar-oriented music.

+1, im even starting to listen to metally stuff now!
GEAR:

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Westfield E100
Roland Microcube
I started to listen more to what was actually being played on the guitar(s) in the song instead of just the song as a whole. I also got into a lot more guitar-centric music (metal mainly). Your view of bands will probably change, though I never liked Jonas Brothers or that kind of stuff anyway

And you will also notice money disappearing from your bank account and more and more guitar gear in your house. This is called GAS (but you don't need to know about that yet )
Quote by qotsa1998

Thats exactly how it was for me, when i listened to music I was able to isolate all the instruments and started to hear the bass lines I hadn't noticed in songs I already knew.
The Rig
Gibson Flying V
Blackstar HT-5 Stack
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
MXR GT-OD
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-3
I should be richer now. Because once I picked a guitar, I buy and buy stuff. So, im always broke.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Yes, I remeber like it was last year. Cause it was.
I got it home and just skimming the net I found a band called Megadeth and that is where my journy began.
ya my world completely changed. I got my first guitar, it was a no name strat. i played that for about 3 days when I was 12. Then I quit until I was 14 and then I made my first band which had me on bass. Then I figured out i could play guitar after I learned Dammit by Blink 182. So I then went out and bought my Epiphone Les Paul. I brought in a new bassist and became my bands secong guitarist. That band played our first gig and the rest is history.
Yes.

My taste in music changed,as did my perspective on it.I now hear music as guitar+ everything else,instead of as a whole.I also got this odd syndrome where looking at a piece of carved wood with some metal and strings on it makes me drool uncontrollably. They have yet to find a treatment for this crippling affliction,the only known method of stopping it is to acquire said piece of wood.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Yes, completely. Not just music, everything. I didn't have an outlet before guitar and now that I have it, there's something I actually enjoy doing which has been helpful to say the least. But yeah, you start analyzing what you hear and listening to stuff that's driven instrumentally instead of vocally most of the time and a bunch of other stuff along those lines
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Yep. For the first year of owning a guitar, I was a total wanker and thought I was better than everyone because I could play Blink 182 songs.
I became obsessed with AC/DC and Metallica, and I decided to grow my hair.
I would've punched the old me square in the face, I reckon. I was a douche.
Member of the Laney Cult
Yes, now at least an hour of my day is dedicated to playing guitar. In addition it's a great escape from anything, no matter how I feel I can pick up my guitar and play for 15 minutes or 2 hours and I always feel better after it.
Yes and No, I'm still very much me haha, but musically it shapes you. You'll like guitar oriented music, be able to pick out total posers, sometimes laugh at how simple something so cool sounds, and be more open to instrumental songs. I like paul gilbert, petrucci's solo stuff, satch, vai, and all those other virtuoso's, a very VERY slight amount of Yngwie and then mostly metal and shred, complemented with rock, hard rock and classic rock. You'll despise rap even more then ever before(if you liked it at all which is hard to believe) because of how it really isn't music.

You'll make some new friends, who play instruments, you'll be able to converse with them about music on a much deeper level, and lastly as others have said, you will find a outlet if it's the right thing for you. I enjoy playing guitar, and usually play for atleast 30 minutes a day, but I can end up playing for 2 hours.

Hope you have fun and enjoy doing it.
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Ibanez Rg440 Roadster II Series
Gibson Flying V
SE Custom Paul Allender edition
Frankenstrat Replica (that I made)
Guild Madeira Nylon acoustic.
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
not at first i got my guitar at 14 and didnt actually sit down and learn til 17=>a year n 4 months ago, im now learning cliffs of dover and can spend 4 hours a day playing and not realising all that time went by, my music i listen to got alot rougher, but other i still listen to my old favorite "****ty guitaring" bands iv always liked such as blink, and i still enjoy rap which is a taboo here on UG, but i also still play sports and make it to the gym every second day to work out so in hte most part other then spending tonnes of time playing guitar my world hasnt changed much
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Yes, yes, yes, a thousand times YES!

I found a new (and much better way) to deal with everything in my life, from stress to anger to confusion. When I sit down with my guitar, and just play.....

Ahh.....I love guitar.

Oh, and I used to think Gibson was cool. I was such a n00b!
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by JimmyBanks6
not at first i got my guitar at 14 and didnt actually sit down and learn til 17=>a year n 4 months ago, im now learning cliffs of dover and can spend 4 hours a day playing and not realising all that time went by, my music i listen to got alot rougher, but other i still listen to my old favorite "****ty guitaring" bands iv always liked such as blink, and i still enjoy rap which is a taboo here on UG, but i also still play sports and make it to the gym every second day to work out so in hte most part other then spending tonnes of time playing guitar my world hasnt changed much

I like rap too dude. I love blasting Wu Tang and rapping along in my Lincoln looking like a total douche canoe. Wu Tang is the ****. But I don't like much other rap.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
It changed my views in a negative way a little. Before I started playing guitars I thought Jimmy Page was god on earth. Jesus reincarnated. The most creative guitarist I had ever heard.

Started getting decent at guitar and noticed how alot of his songs are just scaling which in my mind isn't as creative as I used to think he was.

But Jimmy Paige is still my favorite guitarist ever, just I don't hold him nearly as above the rest of them as I did before. I mean.....hearbreaker solo>anyone else.
The amount of time you spend practicing will play a large role in how much your life changes. When you have a guitar in your hands six hours a day you feel weird without it after a while. Our house is nuts with four of us playing. It's how we keep our boys home, safe and happy in the evening. Friends love to come to listen or join in. There are myriad positives you'll discover. Just don't isolate yourself. Music is meant to be shared. Have a great time! Nice choice of gear, by the way. Edit-Pardon the long paragraph. I've no formatting options with my phone browser.
Last edited by gtmom at Jan 28, 2009,