I have a mahogany body, do I use spray paint or is dye acceptable, too?

I couldn't find black cherry paint anywhere...or what mix of color would work?

/drool
Last edited by CakeIsALie at Jan 27, 2009,
That bottom one looks like a marbelized finish, though it is likely a figured top.

To marbelize:

Prime, then spray black. Apply Marbelizer paint, apply Saran wrap or cling film, move it around then peel off.
Spray with suitable Kandy finish.

Clear.
Does Schecter Pre-stain where you stain with black first to get it into the valleys sand and then apply the red?
Quote by Dr. House
Nice vibe you just put out there. Its like daddy just hit mommy at the dinner table and we all still want to eat.
Quote by -MintSauce-
That Schecter C-1 Hellraiser has a quilted maple top, then it's stained with black-cherry coloured stain.

Would stains work well on a mahogany body?
Quote by Kolanski
Does Schecter Pre-stain where you stain with black first to get it into the valleys sand and then apply the red?

I wouldn't have thought they would on the Diamond series guitars, considering how they're knocked together in Korean factories.
yea that's true i forgot about that
Quote by Dr. House
Nice vibe you just put out there. Its like daddy just hit mommy at the dinner table and we all still want to eat.
The schecter is a carved top, how could it be a veneer?

TS you have to choose whether you want a solid or transparent finish.

Paint will give you a solid colour you cant see through, a dye will let you still see the wood grain, also you will have to dye to the bare wood, so if the mahogany has a finish on it, it will have to be stripped, and probably bleached to stop the colour going a muddy brown.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
body-carved top (not figured)-veneer. easy.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking