has anyone used any of the single coil pickups from gfs? specifically the vintage 60's ones found here http://store.guitarfetish.com/19repralstpi.html i'm building a strat and i want to put some low output vintage style single coils in it and was wondering if anyone had any good reviews of these. I also looked at the fender 57/62 models and though they looked pretty sweet too.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Ash Lite Stratocaster
Ibanez ac70 acoustic
Ovation Celebrity
Fender Blues Jr
planet waves tuner-ts9dx tubescreamer-metal muff-boss ce-5-delta labs dd1 delay
i have not used any my self but thaks for the post i went there and looked around and there are a set of pickups that i just got .i got the HOT Hex Overwound Humbuckers- Matched Pair- . but to be on the up and up about it you cant go wrong with the prices they have hell i would get them and try them out if you dont like them you will have a back up hell you cant go wrong.look me up ill keep you posted about the ones i got cant wait for them to get hear.
stompbox
ok man i'd definitely like to know how those turn out
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez ac70 acoustic
Ovation Celebrity
Fender Blues Jr
The pickups in the link have very little in common with vintage fender pickups and if you are after vintage tone I wouldn't get them. That page uses lots of catch phrases that are very missleading. An example of their missleading use would be when they say they use 42 gauge Formvar plain enamel wire. There is no such thing as Formvar plain enamel. There is formvar wire and plain enamel wire but they are two different types of wire. The pickups they are selling actually use Poly wire which is the cheap modern alternative to PE and sounds nothing like formvar.

To give advise about what to get then we need to know which vintage tone you are after

In the 50's and early 60's fender made pickups using larger alnico magnets and formvar wire and this gave a warm tone with strong treble, scooped midrange, and loose bass. These pickups are great for clean tone and slightly overdriven leads but are buzzsawy and harsh when you use a lot of distortion. That buzzsaw distortion is something many people love but others hate it. SRV and John Mayer are just a couple musicians that use(d) pre CBS style pickups.

In the mid 60's fender started using smaller magnets and PE wire. This gave less trebble, more midrange, and tighter bass. The overall tone was pretty much the opposite of the 50's fender pickups. Hendrix used pickups from the late 60's.
Not taking any online orders.
^Cord, what type of magnets were used in the two eras you mentioned?
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
i would love to have something like the pickups that john mayer and stevie ray vaughn used, i'm looking for that vintage 50's strat sound
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez ac70 acoustic
Ovation Celebrity
Fender Blues Jr
Quote by BD 425
^Cord, what type of magnets were used in the two eras you mentioned?

In the '50 up through '63 they used rough cast alnico 5 magnets that were approximately .195" in diameter. 1964 was a transitional year for fender and both wire type and magnet size could have matched preCBS or postCBS standards. In 1965 fender started exclusively using polished alnico 5 magnets that were .187" in diameter. Now days you can't get rough cast alnico rods so we use .195 polished alnico for the preCBS sound.

Quote by ccatrackstar
i would love to have something like the pickups that john mayer and stevie ray vaughn used, i'm looking for that vintage 50's strat sound

If that is the case then the fender set you mentioned would be a pretty good bet. It's not going to be as good as boutique handwounds but they are still nice pickups.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jan 28, 2009,
ccatrackstar, if you're willing to make an investment, this guy (CorduroyEW) can probably wind you pickups that sound exactly like what you're looking for. He's technically not allowed to advertise, so i'll say it.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
cant speak for those, but I bought the lil crunchers and love them
alright awesome thanks a lot guys!
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez ac70 acoustic
Ovation Celebrity
Fender Blues Jr