I've been playing for a couple months now (active = around 3 months; but I've been learning for almost one year now, I just didn't really get in to it until around 3 months ago)...
I don't know what to do.

I normally practice the Minor Pentatonic scale in different patterns, using hammer-ons and pull-offs, and in sets of three, like a video I got tells me. I'm doing this to try and pick up speed. I also practice it normally.
But I don't really know the use for knowing a scale, I just know the patterns.
I was told to learn the Major scale, that it's used in more recent rock music.

I can play a couple of older songs but I don't like songs that are just changing from one basic chord to the other in a pattern, I feel like they get boring. I like to play songs that move around a bit more and are fun (like "I believe in a thing called love" - The Darkness; although I'm still unable to play some parts).
The fastest I can play is around the speed of the intro rifts of this Spanish metal song: "Alas de Fuego" - Tierra Santa (youtube it). However, I'm still working out the solo.

I switch between alt. picking and economy picking sometimes, using whichever is more convenient for me. (I do it without really thinking about it sometimes.) I also learned how to do pinch harmonics recently.

So, I'd really like suggestions as to what I should do and learn.
When playing those really rhythmic songs I tend to get a bit lost as well (even in some simple punk songs, I've found that I should make it sound as close as possible to the actual song, but not be a perfectionist ), unless it's a rhythm I can clearly make out in the music.

P.S. : When I went to buy a new amp (Roland Micro Cube), the man who sold it to me gave me the numbers of two luthiers in Puerto Rico, and told me I should go get a tune-up. I think the truss rod has to be adjusted, and a guy I know online told me that he [the luthier] would likely fix the intonation and action.
The pickups are a bit rusty (the guitar is pretty old, since it was a hand-me-down from my brother, and he had it abandoned, basically), so I think they might be ready for a change.
The bridge might also be ready for a change, since it doesn't really hold the strings up very well, it's bending slightly towards the pickups, which, I guess affects the action (I think this is the proper term).
I was wondering if anyone could give me a rough estimate of how much it could possibly cost. Since, if I'm going to go, I want to have the money readily available. Both locations are at least a 1 hour and 30 minute drive away.

Thanks in advanced for anyone who helps me.
Can't you call and ask the luthiers?

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

Knowing the scale is like knowing a riff, playing it faster is like playing faster riffs. Therefor you are playing faster.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by random_B-RAD
Knowing the scale is like knowing a riff, playing it faster is like playing faster riffs. Therefor you are playing faster.

So, what scales should I learn? I showed this thread to my friend and he told me that the purpose of the scales is for when you're shredding in a certain key you'll know that you can hit these specific notes and it'll sound nice.
I want to develop skills that will help me with lots of songs. But I don't know what to work on.

Quote by Volta_91
Can't you call and ask the luthiers?

I don't know how many things need to be 'tuned-up', so even if I give an explanation it won't be so precise. But I guess I should call them.
Last edited by TheAceOfHearts at Jan 27, 2009,
Pentatonics are used alot in rock it just helps so that you know the scale or pattern so that you can know whats gonna sound good where when your playing lead over someone.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Go out a pick up a book called The World Of Scales by Don J. Maclean has everything you need for scales, and the next set of scales you should learn are heptatonic scales the major are Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian,Mixolydian, Aolian, and Locrian

These are much like the modes of the pentatonic scales and move up the fret board as you play them.

That book also has some more books in the back that you can pick up to help you along, but beware theres A LOT of information