Alright guys, so my band has a bunch of covers under our belt. We're a little skeptical though because we don't know how the audience will take a shift from some chill out classic rock tunes to a blistering hard rock song.

I guess we could always change around the list to fit the crowd, but then you'll always have the mixed one...

Mmm I guess it's tough to be in a cover band after all!

What do you guys think?

For a little scope: we do some ballads (like While My Guitar Gently Weeps - Jeff Healey), some really laid back rock songs (All Right Now - Free) and some pretty heavy stuff (Bark at the Moon - Ozzy Osbourne)
that honestly wouldn't feel that out of place if you keep it between those, like nothing heavier than Ozzy. And mabe just do one strategically place the ballads in the set so they don't seem just randomly done. Like start off with a really upbeat song, then slowly work down to the more chill/ballad music, and then work it back up at the end of the set to the hard rock again.
Quote by scguitarking927
that honestly wouldn't feel that out of place if you keep it between those, like nothing heavier than Ozzy. And mabe just do one strategically place the ballads in the set so they don't seem just randomly done. Like start off with a really upbeat song, then slowly work down to the more chill/ballad music, and then work it back up at the end of the set to the hard rock again.

You think so?

We were also thinking if we were doing a multi set show (maybe 3) we could start heavy and chill it out a bit on the first set then bring it right down on the second. For the end we could just build it back up to heavy or stick to chill, we have alot of stuff to work with.
it always works to start with a fast song that gets the crowd fired up and then a few mellow songs, ballad and then end on a fast n heavy one to keep them fired up
i just kind of meant you could get away with having those types of styles together, now if you did like job for a cowboy or something i would say hell know, but ozzy isn't "that" heavy in the fact the a normal person can enjoy his music.
Quote by Superstrat101
You think so?

We were also thinking if we were doing a multi set show (maybe 3) we could start heavy and chill it out a bit on the first set then bring it right down on the second. For the end we could just build it back up to heavy or stick to chill, we have alot of stuff to work with.

Good idea. One of my favorite cover bands do the same, with an "unplugged" acoustic styled set in the middle. It gives the crowd a chance to chill, recover, cool off, get drinks, and prep up for the final punch in the face. The chill set also gives room for a little slow dancing & romancing opportunities - this keeps hormone levels up, and thus gives props to your band for inspiring some booty. Think of it this way - people will remember your band if they get some afterwards (or during) the show!

Some pro DJ's understand the concept of building the evening (some don't!) because it is more than just pushing the "random" button on a cd player.