After I get a new guitar, I planning to make some mods to my Epi SG custom.

First off, I'm wanting to flush mount a floyd on it. Will this work on a SG? What all do I need to cut on the body?

Second, I want to reshape the headstock. I want to shape it like a reversed LTD headstock, like Kirk Hammett's guitar. I know I will need to add wood to it probably. How would I do this? Do I need to cut the headstock into a square first, then glue & clamp straight cuts of wood to it?

Finally, know what kind of Dimarzio's would be good for metal/ jazz playing? For like Lamb of God, Pantera, Killswitch Engage, and stuff like that.
Floyds and SGs dont mix, the SG's body is too thin for the spring cavity...even if u do flush mount, it wont work

do not change the headstock. it was designed to be 3+3, and switching all the string tesion to one side might snap the head.

as for pickups, dimarzio actually has a pickup selector thing on their website. answer a few questions about your tone, and boom. several choices show up. its actually decent.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Not going to repeat what the wise man above said ^^

Just buy an LTD.
Last edited by Flariduh at Jan 27, 2009,
Yeah, the floyd would require a great amount of routing and the sg doesn't look that great with another type of headstock unless its a Dean v style.
In response to my admission of Virginity:
Quote by RPGoof
We're all virgins here, don't worry.
Quote by AngusJimiKeith

as for pickups, dimarzio actually has a pickup selector thing on their website. answer a few questions about your tone, and boom. several choices show up. its actually decent.

It's not. It frequently recommends that useless pile of shit the X2N and its kin and it doesn't really cater for many specific tonal demands. I can't tell the pickup picker if I want dynamics or vocal tone, for example.

If you want to put a trem on your SG, try a Stetsbar. A Kahler might work too, but I'm not very clued in on those.
Could I cut the block shorter on the floyd so it would work?
And since the Ltd headstock wouldn't work, got any other ideas for a shape? I really hate the epiphone shape.
Quote by rockr09
And since the Ltd headstock wouldn't work, got any other ideas for a shape? I really hate the epiphone shape.

Sculpt it to look vaguely like a PRS one if you must do something.
Quote by Rock Pig
Sculpt it to look vaguely like a PRS one if you must do something.

I like... that seems like it would look really good on a sg.
It would just be simpler to build an entirely new guitar with the floyd built on to it

EDIT: Kahlers look good on paper, but they have massive tuning issues. Stetsbar is awesome for all of the other stuff, but it's expensive. A Bigsby has no tuning problems, but limited range. I don't think there's a good tremolo for SG's

DOUBLE EDIT: maybe look into buying the tremologic. It can't do epic divebombs, but it seems pretty cool from the videos on their site. It's basically six tiny trems, one for each string.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Last edited by bv310 at Jan 27, 2009,
I looked at the Kahlers and those seem like a better idea... Not much routing, and if it doesn't stay in tune it has a locking feature, and its nearly the same price as the floyd...
^NOOOO!!!! kahlers are bad news. on paper they look amazing, but once u actually try one, they suck
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
^naw.
Kahlers aren't /that/ bad. They're pretty much fine til you start messing around with bends...
in any case, they're no replacement for a floyd. They do, after all, go out of tune occasionally, and there's more upkeep for them. They don't have a flutter at all, and they don't react nearly as well, which may just be due to the fact that only part of the bridge moves.
They're not a floyd, but I like them a lot better than a strat tremolo.
BTW: if you get a Kahler trem, don't put the Kahler locking nut on it. Put on the floyd. their locking nut is /much/ better

SG customs are so beautiful...why do you want to ruin that?
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Its not the 3 pickup sg custom, Its like a limited edition in heritage cherry with the full pickguard. And how would I ruin it? I'm not repainting it.
Quote by rockr09

you'd kill the tone in the process