so my valveking has been doing fine the past few months. but today my other guitarist got his amp fixed and we brought it over to the house we jam at and went to turn on and it barley made any sound at all and what it did make was muddy gross noise. then mine started doing the same thing. i noticed in the back, when the amp is on turned on standby the tubes look fine but when its off standby they glow blue? and hum. i know this is probably my problem but i plugged my valveking set for 8 Ohms into a 16 Ohm cab before we turned on and the other guitarist plugged 8 ohms into an 8 ohm cab. WTF UG. whats it gonna take to fix it and what is exactly wrong?
(signature removed, please choose another)
I'm not sure exactly what happened but it sounds like you plugged your 8 ohm amp into a 16 ohm cab. You want to keep those matched. Whick VK do you have? Does it work now? You can also post in The Valveking Thread.
The 8 ohm amp into a 16 ohm cab is considered a safe mismatch. That shouldn't have hurt it. It's possible you got some dirty electricity. Did you guys plug it in to the same outlet? And how old is the wiring in the house?
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Quote by boxcarmonument
The 8 ohm amp into a 16 ohm cab is considered a safe mismatch. That shouldn't have hurt it. It's possible you got some dirty electricity. Did you guys plug it in to the same outlet? And how old is the wiring in the house?

It doesn't hurt the amp, but it affects the tone. Impedance mismatch of plugging an amp set for 8 ohms into a cab of 16 ohms means the power tubes are seeing an effective doubled primary impedance. The blue glow is fine and amps hum, but mismatching into a higher load than the amp is set for results in a more compressed tone with a lot of treble roll off as well as slightly reduced power output.
something ****ed happened last night man cuz she worked fine a week ago. other guitarist amp does the same. and they never glowed blue before last night
something ****ed happened last night man cuz she worked fine a week ago. other guitarist amp does the same. and they never glowed blue before last night. i mean my amp makes no noise at all. at 3 a valveking could kill everyone in the room and i can put it to like 8 9 and i get a faint crackling sound of what im playing accompanied by loud poping. idk wtf happened
Don't turn it on anymore.
Look at the fuse on back is it intact (looks like a green plastic screw - take it out)
Is the glass on the power tubes still clear?
When you say blue, do you mean like bight blue ONLY or orange and blue?
What is your ohm setting at on amp - in the back?

take it in
the orange lights up, but you can see blue glowing around them. tubes are almost brand new