ive broken 3 G strings( thats wat she said?) and one D string in the last 3 weeks from slapp/poping 1 of the sets was about 7 months old and pretty light so im not concerned about taht but the one was about 3-4 months old and the F and the 3rd G weere only 1 week when the D broke and 2 weeeks when the G broke

ive just started slapping/popping actively like prolly last month and a half been doin it for prolly a few hours a day is this normal or am i popping too hard or sumthing
your technique is probably off because your new to the technique, but there might be a burr or something on your bridge. Next time you change your stings look at the saddle and see if there are any nicks, or irregular areas on the metal.

You really dont have to pop that hard. If you think you are doing it to hard, then you probably are.
Quote by Cubertt
ive broken 3 G strings( thats wat she said?) and one D string in the last 3 weeks from slapp/poping 1 of the sets was about 7 months old and pretty light so im not concerned about taht but the one was about 3-4 months old and the F and the 3rd G weere only 1 week when the D broke and 2 weeeks when the G broke

ive just started slapping/popping actively like prolly last month and a half been doin it for prolly a few hours a day is this normal or am i popping too hard or sumthing

Dude that's pretty insane, I pop like a maniac all the time and have been for 6 months yet I've never felt the joy of breaking a string..
i wouldnt say i think im doing so hard i just said that cuz it seems like it would be the obvious choice i dont seem to be doing it any harder than is need to make a twang

what could be causing this other than me popping to hard

Edit the joy sucks my moms making me pay for my own strings now and all i got is $50 dollors and a healthy weed habit to boot and that 50$ ive been saving for my new amp that im gonna get
Last edited by Cubertt at Jan 27, 2009,
Quote by Cubertt
i wouldnt say i think im doing so hard i just said that cuz it seems like it would be the obvious choice i dont seem to be doing it any harder than is need to make a twang

what could be causing this other than me popping to hard

Edit the joy sucks my moms making me pay for my own strings now and all i got is $50 dollors and a healthy weed habit to boot and that 50$ ive been saving for my new amp that im gonna get

Damn. Well, is your action high? You say you only pop hard enough to twang, but if the action is high you'll be popping hard to get the twang anyway. Do you have odd temperatures in your home, your strings could have been like worn away by weather or something right? Or maybe you sweat a lot and it makes the strings a little rusty? OR maybe you're not popping the text book way? Hope I can be of help.
2 of the 3 strings ive broken on my SX which action is thru the roof thats prolly it the 1 time i broke my string on my MiM fender but those strings where god knows how old cuz i bought the bass used and never bouhgt the strings

that helps a lot thx a bunch
A properly played, proper bass should never have a broken string. It's either your bridge, which would mean that it was unravelling at or near the bridge, or your technique, with means it probably would unravel nearer the headstock, but not necessarily.