Recently downloaded Audacity, great program, cant get the thing to work though.

When i record through the mic port with the specified resolution etc. all i get is this horrible fizzly fuzz and the slightest hint of a guitar track behind it. I also have wave lab 5 and the exact same thing happens

Have tried using a process of elimination with the bit rate, resolution, levels on my guitar, amp, audacity, volume control panel etc. and nothing seems to work.

I am using my guitar to the amp then through the emulated line out to the mic port in my comp.

as you can probably tell i'm kinda new to this and would appreciate all the help anyone can give, thanks
Do you have mic boost turned on? that tends to add fuzzy distortion. double click on your volume control, then file, properties, recording controls. Then go "advanced" under the microphone volume level. mic boost should be there.

(This is in windows XP, i have no idea if it's different in Vista, sorry)
I had this same problem.

If you have vista go to start, control panel, then sound.
Click on the recording tab, then double click the device you are using to record, click on the advanced tab.

Once there change the default format from cd or dvd quality to studio quality (96000 Hz)

Hope this helps.
Quote by Ibbod0
did you try plugging into line in (blue) instead of mic?

Yeah tried that man, it just gives me less volume and the same problem, thanks
Quote by Rokeman
Do you have mic boost turned on?

Mic boost is turned on but when i turn it to +0 the track is almost inaudible and the fuzzing still occurs ???
Quote by Rokeman
(This is in windows XP, i have no idea if it's different in Vista, sorry)

Using vista my processer and ram are both quite fast, it has me at wits end. kinda of frustrating. thanks for reply.

Is it a clipping problem. Have been trauling the sticky on the audacity rec. and clipping is the only explanation that seemed to have the same trouble but dont really understand what it means.
I doubt it is clipping. Clipping occurs when the signal is too loud to cope with, causing distortion.

At the end of the day, you're plugging into a stock sound card. I'd bet the farm that you won't experience any of this if you buy even a cheap audio interface to connect via USB.
There is poetry in despair.
I got it fixed and made a recording withe some sweep picking necrophagist style.

Thanks for all your help guys you were most obliging

looking forward to making some dirty dirty dirty grind now

Clipping occurs when the signal is too loud to cope with, causing distortion.

this was the problem, as i am a complete noob i hadn't realised that you had to turn the amp down pretty much so that you cant hear it. Kudos to the Rt**d lol this means i will be able to use my Wave lab and all its plugins Yeah. thanks again all!