Page 1 of 2
Let's get down to busines.
- $300-500 USD price range. MIGHT go up to $600, depending on how much money I get for my birthday. I will absolutely go used, 'cause i'll get a better deal on a nicer amp. I really can't see a good reason to go new, unless older models of an amp have had reliability issues or something.
-Tube.
-50 watts tops. I'm thinking the 30 watt range is what I'm looking for.
-Must have lots of headroom. For gigs of like 115 people tops.
-At least 2 channels. (Clean/gain)
-Versatile. I play everything from Blues to Classic Rock to Modern rock (i.e. Foo Fighters type stuff) to some heavier stuff like RATM, but that's rare.
-Must take pedals relatively well. An FX loop would be nice.
-Not more than like 50 lbs. in weight.
-PLEASE no "get a [amp X] and change the spkr to a V30/Greenback/other." I'd like it to sound good stock.

I've been looking at...
Vox AC15 (used)- might not have enough headroom; only 1 channel; doesn't seem versatile
Fender Blues Deluxe 1x12 (used) - Not a big fan of the Drive channel.
Peavey Classic 30 (used) - can't find one at any local or GC.
Marshall JTM30 w/ Greenback - found one used for 400. It comes with the greenback; this isn't an upgrade I'd be doing; Idc that it has the greenback.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 combo - again, found one used for 500.
Carvin Nomad (used) - tried one out on vacation in San Diego. Loved it, but at the time I wasn't really experienced with tube amps.
Carvin Bel-Air (used) - never tried one, but they go for around the same as a Nomad and are the in the same series of amps.
B-52 At112 (new) - I'm still very skeptical with these, because of the reliability issues I'm reading about.
Traynors, used - never tried one.
Crate Palomino V50 - I tried a Palo V32 one time when I was fairly new to tube amps, and loved it. This one seems like a good idea.
Mesa F and DC series, used Kevin Saale mentioned these. I'd love a Mesa.
I'm totally open to suggestions. Let the posting begin.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Last edited by BD 425 at Jan 27, 2009,
for the peavey classic 30 check craigslist. It should be about right for you since you play blues/classic rock. Check what you can at GC and ask to demo stuff you see on craigslist, you can come back later once you have decided.
my gear:
Epiphone LP standard
roland microcube
Classic 30 is a good choice.

Played the Traynor YCV50blue great amp, perfect for what you want, never played it, but I've hear the YCS is even better.

Vox AC15, I don't think this is what you're lookin for at all

Blues deluxe, definitely not what you're looking for.

JTM30, heard that have a lot of issues, no personal experience

JCM2000, can't stand these amps, don't sound good for the price at all

Carvin, no experience.

B-52, very nice amps, very versatile. Most of the reliability issues were with the first run overheating, it's since been fixed.

I'll also add, Mesa F and DC series is worth a look, can definitely do what you want.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Classic 30 is a good choice.

Played the Traynor YCV50blue great amp, perfect for what you want, never played it, but I've hear the YCS is even better.

Vox AC15, I don't think this is what you're lookin for at all

Blues deluxe, definitely not what you're looking for.

JTM30, heard that have a lot of issues, no personal experience

JCM2000, can't stand these amps, don't sound good for the price at all

Carvin, no experience.

B-52, very nice amps, very versatile. Most of the reliability issues were with the first run overheating, it's since been fixed.

I'll also add, Mesa F and DC series is worth a look, can definitely do what you want.

Alright, thanks. I really like the idea of a Mesa
edit: and whatta ya know, there's a Mesa Studio Caliber DC-2 for $400
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Last edited by BD 425 at Jan 27, 2009,
You have to find them used. The DC came first, the the F, which was replaced by the Express. They are similar to the express, but are more raw sounding and overall better, IMO. That's based off owning an F30. One thing I will say is they are quite compressed amps, though that might not be a bad thing.
Well then that's wonderful, 'cause I love the Express series.
I have a YCV50Blue that I just got for Christmas, and it was $550CDN used. I really like it, it's loud as hell, not the best for clean tones though. For band practice, 5's a bit louder than I need and I've heard it will cover most gigs (not stadiums or outdoor).
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
My Palomino v50 fits your description to the t.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
^Thanks, I forgot to include that on the list. I have been considering those as well.
Peavey Classics don't have a lot of headroom. I have a C50 and I can't practice with the band without getting some slight crunchiness. Not that that's a bad thing for me.
Last edited by werty22 at Jan 27, 2009,
The crate palo and Vs totally slipped my mind, very nice amps.
I doubt you will be able to try one out before buying, but I took a leap of faith and wasn't disappointed. I took mine to my buddy's band practice on sunday and it sounded amazing, blew away the other guitarists Hot Rod Deluxe, not just the drive channel either, the clean sounded better too. Volume wise it is very loud, we got the volume almost up to noon and the power tubes were starting to get saturated and it sounded awesome. I didn't turn the gain on it up past 9 o clock and it was still getting a nice Led Zeppelin sounding overdrive. The drive channel sounds like a mix between a Vox AC30 and a Marshall.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

+1 to everything kevin said. the classic 30 would probably be the best amp in your situation. i myself though might prefer the DSL, i dont know why the JCM2000's are hated on so much, theyr decent tube amps with good features.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Alright, well then that confirms my "Classic 30's have little headroom" thoughts. No C30 for me.
Quote by black-sabbath
I have a YCV50Blue that I just got for Christmas, and it was $550CDN used. I really like it, it's loud as hell, not the best for clean tones though. For band practice, 5's a bit louder than I need and I've heard it will cover most gigs (not stadiums or outdoor).

The hell do you get your crack from?

Not good for cleans? You must be kidding.

My YCV50 Blue is fan-freaking-tastic for cleans.

All a difference of opinion, but whatever.

TS, the YCV50 Blue's got good cleans. If you can get one, get it. I play stuff similar to what you do, and I gotta say, it's amazing.
I wouldn't rule the Classic30 that quickly

Quote by BD 425

-50 watts tops. I'm thinking the 30 watt range is what I'm looking for.
-Must have lots of headroom. For gigs of like 115 people tops.

Can you maybe explain this a little further? Can you play some of these amps?
I don't think you should necessarily rule out the C30 completely. How clean does it need to be? Keep in mind you'll probably be using a PA. And you probably don't play as loud as my band. We have a really loud drummer. And I think the C30 still has more headroom than some of those others.
^I won't always have a PA. It needs to be pretty damn clean, as in no noticeable breakup when playing at gigging levels.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Can you maybe explain this a little further? Can you play some of these amps?

50 watts tops, b/c it needs to be able to get quiet enough to play alone. I know I won't get great tone when it's quiet; I can deal with that. I can play SOME of these amps, but most of them, no. My GC has mostly MGs, Spiders, Valvetronix, and higher end Fenders. No C30, Traynors, and I don't think it has any Palo's. It does have an AC15 and a Blues deluxe, but we've mostly ruled those out. I have not COMPLETELY ruled out the C30; I've really only decided that I'm not gonna buy one blind. I'm probably not gonna buy any of them blind, though. And my local stores carry Spiders, MGs, and solid state crates.
Maybe a used Fender Hot Rod? And if you don't want tube breakup, maybe you should consider a solid-state. Not all of them are as bad as Spiders. Then again, I don't know of any of them that are considered really good for cleans except a Jazz Chorus, which is out of your price range.
No thanks, I'm 100% sure I want a tube amp. I don't mind break up - I just can't have break up at gigs when I'm trying to play clean. I'm not a fan of fender Hot Rods. I don't like the gain, and I absolutely hate the volume control.
Not to just pimp my amp but the clean that you are looking for can be found with it. It gets very loud before you get any breakup. 50 watts is all the power you will ever need unless you play metal. You could play some pretty large shows without a PA with a 50 watt tube amp.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

^Yeah, the palo v50 is one of the ones im seriuosly considering. 50 watts tube is plenty of headroom. its a shame cause they were on clearance from GC for like 400 about a month ago but it only lasted a few days. i really wanna try one. Sorry for bad typing i'm using a stupd rollup keyboard and the keys aretough to hit.
What about a Classic 50?
edit: i actually don't know how much these run
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Quote by BD 425
^Yeah, the palo v50 is one of the ones im seriuosly considering. 50 watts tube is plenty of headroom. its a shame cause they were on clearance from GC for like 400 about a month ago but it only lasted a few days. i really wanna try one. Sorry for bad typing i'm using a stupd rollup keyboard and the keys aretough to hit.

Yea I just missed the sale but I emailed GC and they gave me the sale price, you could do the same because they have the price match guareentee and musicians friend has it for $350 so if you were more comfortable ordering from GC so that if any problems you had with the amp you could take it in to them to get it checked out than that would be the way to go.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

I think the perfect amp for you would be one of these two:

Traynor YCS-50
Mesa F-50

The Traynor is a very versatile amp, it has british and american voicing and has good cleans.

I've played a Mesa F-30 head and I thought it had great cleans, but it was out of my price range.

The problem with both of these amps is that they are out of your price range I'm afraid. I think the YCS-50 is $750 brand new or so. The Mesa you'd have to find used as they don't make them anymore, they have the "Express" series nowadays, and to me they seemed way too expensive, so used is the way to go.

I understand the problem that your music stores probably don't carry Traynor, so I'd be wary of buying any amp without trying it. Over here in Canada, several shops carry them since they're canadian made.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
I don't think 50 watts is a necessity, really. I think a Mesa F-30 would have a good amount of headroom.

Anyone got any comments on a Mesa Studio Caliber DC-2?
I don't know if 50 watts is a necessity, but he also said he wants a lot of headroom for cleans, so that is up to him how clean of a tone he wants. If TS can find a Mesa F-30 or DC-3 and try it out, I highly recommend trying one out.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

I'm the TS, lol.
Why a DC-3? The DC-2 looks pretty damn nice.
Wow, I had no idea you could get such nice amps on the used market. I am pleasantly surprised. I would probably vote Traynor or Vox.
Just me though.

Vox's are sexy..............AND sound cool
Origonally Posted by Lauke_101
And you're right

Gibson>Moog>KJL>Homebrew 2x12

Saving 4 any one of these:
Soldano Hot Rod
Splawn (anything)
Laney GH50L
Cornford Roadhouse
Marshall JCM2000
KJL 4x12 to match KJL head
Amps to stay away from that TS listed:

Vox AC15
Fender Blues Deluxe
Peavey Classic 30
Both Marshalls
Carvins

The B-52, Palomino, Traynors and Mesas are all very nice amps. I would go down the Mesa road, but maybe not the DC series. There are other models like Heartbreaker that should do what you want.....
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
Not sure what all's been mentioned, but I didn't see these yet I think:

Orange Tiny Terror 1x12
Laney LC15
Mesa Studio .22+
Hughes & Kettner Edition Tube
Quote by BD 425
I'm the TS, lol.
Why a DC-3? The DC-2 looks pretty damn nice.

Ah I didn't see. Anyway, yea sure a DC-2 would work too. The important thing is to try it out before you buy it. It's too bad you don't have a store that carries Traynor around there, I think you'd love the YCS-50.

But yea if you find a used DC-2 and you like it, then by all means go for it. You're doing the right thing by looking to buy used tube amps with good reputation.

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Everybody here says 50 watts is so loud and has so much headroom, but not for me. Maybe my drummer is louder than I thought.
Well put it this way... a kid I know uses a 22 watt Fender '65 deluxe reverb reissue (or something like that) and has enough headroom for gigs.

Oranges are wicked hard to find used. The TT is one channel, too.
Epi Blues Customs have been considered. Too heavy.
LP51122 said stay away from Carvins... Why?
I'm thinking the Pal v50, Traynors (i won't buy one if i can't try), B-52, and Mesas are what I'm lookin for. Maybe a C30 or C50, but I've gotta try one out.
Quote by MustangSVT
I think the perfect amp for you would be one of these two:

Traynor YCS-50
Mesa F-50

Both of those are way too expensive

Go with the Palomino
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Mesa F-30 or an F-50. I got a $600 F-50 for my birthday/ christmas and the thing is wonderful beyond words. I tried other amps in the price range, and I really don't think there is anything better for most any style of music ( the trynor YCV 40's and 50's come close, but they don't have nearly the gain that the mesa's do, that may not be a problem for you though.)
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
I really, really want one of the mesa's. I'm gonna admit though... I don't think I have the patience, and I think I'll be very happy with a Palomino or B-52. I rarely see Mesas on CL, and I hate eBay.

NEWS:
Just found a Tech 21 Trademark 60 1x12 combo for 400. Comments? I've heard of Tech 21, but i didn't know they made amps.

Another question:
So I'm contemplating blind-buying a Traynor. What's the difference between the YCV40 and 50? Is one better than the other or are they mostly similar?
Last edited by BD 425 at Jan 30, 2009,
Page 1 of 2