Our band had its first official practice today, where all members played and were present...

Although it was our first practice, I was depressed by the outcome. Needless to say, we sucked. Terribly.

The other guitarist and myself (We're a standard 5 piece: 2 guitars, bassist, drummer, singer.) Our 2nd guitarist wanted to craft some original songs before we did covers. I've been told this is not a good way to start, especially since we have zero experience playing together.

The good news is that we came up with 4 basic ideas for songs...we got about 6 or 7 riffs down. The bad news is that our bassist and drummer just...played random things. They both are not used to playing in a band setting, however, and our vocalist's PA has not arrived yet so when our drummer banged away we could not talk loud enough to say "stop".

Like I said, it was our first practice, but I was put in a sour mood by how little we accomplished. Any similar stories?
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
write riffs before you have practice so when you get there you can work on putting **** with it. plus it was your firs tone.. gonna take a long time

PSN: reldask
LOL my first band practice ended with a fist fight/wrestling match. I dont even remember getting through a song because the guitarist and i fought so muchdont worry, just keep working at it. cant expect greatness to come so quickly/easily. Good Luck!
Guitars
BC Rich Deluxe Series Warlock
Schecter Devil Custom

Amps
Crate GX900-h w/ GX412S cab

Effects
Boss NS-2
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell Wah
BBE Sonic Stomp
Korg Pitchblak
Dude, first thing i always do is just jam stuff you all know... last time we just spent some time just blatting out tally riffs we all knew....

At the end of the day you need to get to know how each of ya plays, what can/ can't do and it takes time. you're prolly still gonna be a bit **** 6 months down the line but you will have improved. you are not going to do great stuff from the get go...

So just play covers, stuff you all know and enjoy to start off with and just build on it.
[
our first practice we actually managed a few blink 182 covers...they were good and **** at the same time. alot of random jamming as well. we dnt even exactly do tht kinda music anymore though were very much influienced by it. were rly like i guess u could say more of a post-hardcore band. but yea...at first do covers and lots of jamming. it'll get u guys working together well as a band and the jams will get u guys to kno eachother better as musicians...then u could make ur own songs and stuff...not only tht but it keeps the practices satisfying becuz uve accomplished sumthing.
actually the first practice of the funk band i just joined went off insanely well
we played through like six RHCP songs perfectly without stopping
but my metal band
we're on like practice 45
and we still suck and never get anything done
usually end up playing foosball or something
so really it just depends on the chemistry of the people involved and their skill levels
Music and sutff
Quote by Thebiz
Our band had its first official practice today, where all members played and were present...

Although it was our first practice, I was depressed by the outcome. Needless to say, we sucked. Terribly.

The other guitarist and myself (We're a standard 5 piece: 2 guitars, bassist, drummer, singer.) Our 2nd guitarist wanted to craft some original songs before we did covers. I've been told this is not a good way to start, especially since we have zero experience playing together.

The good news is that we came up with 4 basic ideas for songs...we got about 6 or 7 riffs down. The bad news is that our bassist and drummer just...played random things. They both are not used to playing in a band setting, however, and our vocalist's PA has not arrived yet so when our drummer banged away we could not talk loud enough to say "stop".

Like I said, it was our first practice, but I was put in a sour mood by how little we accomplished. Any similar stories?

this happens. it happened to me as well in my first band. the 2nd one is always much better then the first trust me.
Covers that you all know, and I mean really know, are the way to go at first.

Everyone needs to have their homework done on them too!

If you wanna do originals and have not been playing together that long, the person bringing it to the table, needs to be prepared. The songs that I bring; I can sing and play, all the way through, without the band playing at all. Above all, good musical communication is a plus; if the drums are different in my head, I can relay that to the drummer or even play my idea...same with the bass. They can't hear what's in your head, you need to express it in a way that they can; if you can't play the other instruments - improvise on yours; all four members should be able to do this in one way or another.

Good Luck! - Peace!
Quote by tahwnikcufos
Covers that you all know, and I mean really know, are the way to go at first.

Everyone needs to have their homework done on them too!

If you wanna do originals and have not been playing together that long, the person bringing it to the table, needs to be prepared. The songs that I bring; I can sing and play, all the way through, without the band playing at all. Above all, good musical communication is a plus; if the drums are different in my head, I can relay that to the drummer or even play my idea...same with the bass. They can't hear what's in your head, you need to express it in a way that they can; if you can't play the other instruments - improvise on yours; all four members should be able to do this in one way or another.

Good Luck! - Peace!

but try not to go all billy corgan on your bandmates and become a dictator.
not that what he said above ^^ is. I'm just saying that you need to let your bandmates shoot ideas and such, play to their strengths.

Good Bands that last a long time are based on 4 things:

- Communication
- Compromising
- Friendship
- Ability
My first band practice was on drummers house, we played covers like enter sandman, or crazy train and other songs, and then choosed a song to play at the talent show and nothing more to keep practice, but yes, once the drummer starts is hard to say ''stop''
Gear:

-ESP/LTD M-100FM
-Yamaha Pacifica PAC012
-PBS 15Watts Amplifier
-Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah Pedal
-Monster 25ft. Cable
-Dunlop Tortex 1mm Picks
-Dunlop Strap (Heavy Duty)
- Ernie Ball 10-46
If this is your first band, yes, it's goin to be terrible. And I have news for you: it's going to be pretty awful for a while. Playing in time with other musicians is an art, especially if you're young. Playing in a group isn't a singular skill, it's a skill that involves rhythm, developing an ear for tones and sounds, patience, creativity, technical skill, etc...
Just keep working at it, but I'd say that it's usually a good year before a bunch of guys in their first band get any better than 'decent.'
Our first practice went like this:

*Lunch time at school*

Bassist: "hey do you guys want to go play some music after lunch??"
Everyone else: "sure"

so we went to the band area and played the instruments in the jazz band room

then we just took turn playing intros to songs, and if the others knew it they'd join in.

we "learned" about 5 songs in a half hour

Last edited by Souls United at Jan 28, 2009,
Well, our band's first practice was awesome... our drummer was completely green, and both myself and the bassist had roughly a year's experience...We played every easy noob song that we knew and then just cranked everything and hit powerchords for the hell of it.

sounded decent and was hella fun.

and then one time, this friend came over and he started playing the drums and he was crap. so, first the bassist and I tried to drown him out, then we just pulled apart the set and destroyed crap...
=D
PRS SE Custom
Line 6 Spider III

travislausch wrote:

Oli_88 wrote:
You'd kill yourself if you saw some of The Fall Of Troys song titles.

Possible future Fall Of Troy song title here?
what i do with my aboslute novice band (im not novice i just ended up in one by some cruel twisted fate) is jam on extremly simple chord progression just to knit all the band together and hear what "one sound" is.
sounds typical.
except for this new band that I'm in, we really got going fast, because we all learn For Whom The Bell Tolls by Metallica, and then we jammed for 20 minutes, and just chilled and had a good time .
We also had our first band practice today. And we do not know any of the same songs so me and the other guitarist just messed around with some chords and the drummer jammed with us. We almost had a song minus the bass (he has to have something to work with first I guess) and vocals (he's gotta right them). So we had a very productive 1st practice. And our drummer actually stops when the guitar does and doesn't usually play until we're good and going so it makes it very easy to talk.
Last edited by midnight ride at Jan 30, 2009,
Sounds pretty standard. Don't worry yet.

We jammed a whole lot at first, which was fairly unproductive, although you do learn how to play with others, and how each other plays. Which is very important.

Practice was pretty ****ty and unproductive for a while because we just tried to play songs the whole way through but would **** up and then just jam on something. However, we learnt that we had to go from the bit we messed up on, and analyse what was going wrong and get it right. The drummer is brilliant, the other guitarist is great, I manage to get everything alright on guitar and singing, and the bassist is probably the worst. So the other guitarist and I do actually just leave them to play until they get something right and have worked it out. It's important to be patient and analyse were you are going wrong, so that you can improve on it.

Make sure everyone has thoroughly learnt their parts, so you can piece it together from the bottom.
Don't let it go as far as I let it do with my first band..
drummer and rhythm guitarist were asshats.
In a bit more than a year we go four songs we all came through without getting lost in the middle.
Actually I should say without the rhythm guitarist came through without getting lost...

man that sucked <.<
You like it
Don't be too discouraged. Especially if this is the first time you have ever been in a band. Its gonna take at least 3 months for your band chemistry to full come out. Then you'll be able to lock in to a groove with the bassist and drummer, other guitarist, singer or w/e. The you'll start sounding like a band.

Its perfectly normal not to sound perfect when you start a band. Thats why they are called practices. As you grow more with your instrument and as a musician, you'll find that you are able to jam with other musicians and sound good. Its all to do with being able to work out the group dynamics and play off them. Its difficult to explain really. When you get to that stage, you'll know it.

So yeah, dont be over discouraged or put off by the fact you didnt sound good at your first practice.
I also seriously suggest you work on some covers first. Thats the perfect way to realise the dynamics of each individual member.

Have fun.

db
had my first jam session with our drummer yesterday, i'd jammed lots with my best mate and bassist before that but it went well because im not very good and we only really had one cover to play (plug in baby) which we managed, mainly cos i dont really bother learning bull**** like fall out boy and greenday all the weay through

but we actually managed some improv bits and stuff which was nice, and later all went back to bassist house with him on harmonica and me on acoitsic and our drummer on keys, was funny hahaha