After a few weeks of researching, i still havent managed to find a good step to step instructional on how to refinish a guitar. Im playing a black strat copy and i need a step to step instruction on how to refinish it. I need something that is very thorough such as:
1) Sand with 120 grit
2) sand with 1220 grit
3) add wood sealer
4) add 1 coat of primer
5) add 2coats of base clor
6 and so on....
i dont need to know HOW. just the steps and amount of coats

thank you
Quote by JDbbx
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Quote by jetfuel495
UUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Takamine G Series EG363SC Fund: $400/$499
Would be nice to know the colour you are going for (and even better if this was asked in the refinishing thread)

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
well what i did to a strat copy to take off most of the paint was
1.take paint remover
2. pour all over the entire guitar
3. get towels you can waste
4. wipe all over the guitar until it has no paint left
thats all i did but i know wherre to go from there
5. prime
6. paint
7. sand (with what grit im unsure)
8. second coat
9. sand
repeat till desired color then do again for adition colors you add on.
the grit you'll have to find out from someone else.
and isn't there a thread on this the "Only Painting/Refinishing Thread" ?
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Quote by Absent Mind
Would be nice to know the colour you are going for (and even better if this was asked in the refinishing thread)

probably white or sky blue
Quote by JDbbx

Quote by jetfuel495

You do need to know how, because you don't sand to 1200 before painting....

Anyway, here is what I did:

1: Level sand body with a block, 220, 400.
2: Apply sandable prime/sanding sealer
---> 3 passes to make a coat, a coat every 3 hours, 3 coats a day, wait over night, if you need thicker primer then do it again. I did it twice.
3: Apply primer (if you use sanding sealer before)
---> 3 passes to make a coat, a coat every 3 hours, 3 coats a day, wait over night, if you need thicker primer then do it again.
4: Apply colour
---> 3 passes to make a coat, a coat every 3 hours, 3 coats a day, wait over night, do this three or four times, sanding with 600 soaked over night before and after the final day of painting.
5: Apply clear
---> 3 passes to make a coat, a coat every 3 hours, 3 coats a day, wait over night, repeat six times or as needed, sanding with 600 soaked over night before and after the final day of painting.
6: Wait two to three weeks if using acryllic lacquer (that's all I have experience with) to sand with paper soaked over night, from 800 grit upwards to 1600 or 2000. Higher if you want.
7: Buff with buffing compound and a buffer. I used a $50 simoniz car waxer, it worked great for me.
8: Use swirl removing compound if needed.

That gave me this finish:

If you need to know anything else about painting ever again, post your question in the ultimate refinishing thread!

For white or light blue, use white primer.

Make sure your sealer, primer, colour, and clear are compatible.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
You do need to know how, because you don't sand to 1200 before painting....

Anyway, here is what I did:

1: Level sand body with a block, 220, 400.
2: Apply sandable prime/sanding sealer
---> 3 passes to make a coat, a coat every 3 hours, 3 coats a day, wait over night, if you need thicker primer then do it again. I did it twice.
3: Apply primer (if you use sanding sealer before)
---> 3 passes to make a coat, a coat every 3 hours, 3 coats a day, wait over night, if you need thicker primer then do it again.
4: Apply colour
---> 3 passes to make a coat, a coat every 3 hours, 3 coats a day, wait over night, do this three or four times, sanding with 600 soaked over night before and after the final day of painting.
5: Apply clear
---> 3 passes to make a coat, a coat every 3 hours, 3 coats a day, wait over night, repeat six times or as needed, sanding with 600 soaked over night before and after the final day of painting.
6: Wait two to three weeks if using acryllic lacquer (that's all I have experience with) to sand with paper soaked over night, from 800 grit upwards to 1600 or 2000. Higher if you want.
7: Buff with buffing compound and a buffer. I used a $50 simoniz car waxer, it worked great for me.
8: Use swirl removing compound if needed.

That gave me this finish:

If you need to know anything else about painting ever again, post your question in the ultimate refinishing thread!

For white or light blue, use white primer.

Make sure your sealer, primer, colour, and clear are compatible.

Sorry, its my first time so im a bit confused. So its 3 times a day, for 3 days?? And what does sanding 600 soaked over night mean?
Quote by JDbbx

Quote by jetfuel495

Ok well, you do 3 light, misty, passes to make a coat.

You do three coats in a day.

You wait three hours between coats.

And yeah, for clear coat you probably want like 12 or more coats on there, and colour you might want four to six.

Soaking paper (600 refers to the grit) is for wetsanding. When you wetsand (use a lubricant such as water or naptha) it priduces a smoother sanding and makes fewer scratches.

I use water with a drop of murphy's oil soap.

Also, plug ALL holes and seal ANY exposed wood before wetsanding, or else the wood will swell and ruin the finish underneath.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Last edited by Øttər at Jan 28, 2009,