I went by this guitar store last week and I tried out this Epiphone Explorer they had on display, the '58 Korina re-issue version (which is just the natural korina finish I guess). Anyway, that's my favourite colour for the Explorer. I played it for about 5 minutes, just to see how the Explorer body and neck feels and it felt pretty good. Anyway I was gonna inquire the shop how much to order a Gibson version in the natural finish and what I was gonna do is go out on a weekend or two weekends in a row and try as many guitars as I can including Gibson explorer in a different finish that they have in the store and decide.

But now I find out that you can't even buy the Explorer in natural finish anymore. In fact, it's no longer the '76 Re-issue apparently, it's a '68 Explorer re-issue on gibson's website (and same goes for local store) and it only comes in white/black/cherry. I was gonna drop like $1400 on an Explorer next month, but now it looks like I won't because I only like the natural finish, I don't like any of the other ones. I'm thinking this is a sign I shouldn't be shopping for guitars just yet, I haven't even been playing for a year, but I happen to make enough money to afford this stuff. Oh well. Damn you Gibson.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
look used
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Well that's what it looks like I'll be doing. I actually have found a used Explorer here, but it was in black which I didn't want. (I bought my own current guitar off craigslist, so if I find it used, I'd be really glad).

It's sort of annoying that this is my dream guitar, but they don't even make it anymore now.

I'm thinking I'm just gonna save up until I have like 3 grand and just get my own custom Korina Explorer.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

I don't see the point of this thread. If you aren't asking a question or sharing information others care about don't start a thread. FAIL
Well I was wondering if anyone knew more about this. I found it odd that all of a sudden Gibson doesn't make the '76 xplorer, and is making the '68 one instead. That's what I made the thread for, to see if anyone has some information on this sort of thing. Do they usually do this with other models too, is it possible that the natural finish version will come back sometime?

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

are you familiar with the E2?

within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
You could always get this sexy, sexy guitar: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Explorer-Pro-Flame-Maple-Electric-Guitar?sku=512597

I was considering that one very strongly, although now I think I've narrowed down my guitar choices to a PGM301 or an SG... Likely I'll get a PGM if you're curious, because I can get an SG anyday, but the PGM is discontinued now. That explorer by the way, is discontinued - all the Explorer Pros are.
Quote by staticoverdub
are you familiar with the E2?

I am not familiar with it, but that looks exactly like the ideal guitar I would like to have. I guess I just need to keep hunting the second hand sites (craigslist and kijiji).

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

And someone also just posted a link to the one your looking for...
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Well there's a custom one on Musicians Friend in korina but its about $7500.... I don't think you want that one...
Quote by JWD32792
And someone also just posted a link to the one your looking for...

Yes I saw it, but it says "Out of Stock! Available 3/23/2009", if you look closely.

Well there's a custom one on Musicians Friend in korina but its about $7500.... I don't think you want that one...

Heh yea that one's pretty expensive. I mean, it'd be cheaper to just have a custom Korina explorer made, it just wouldn't have the "Gibson" logo on headstock.

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Well if they say theyll have in on march 23, if its what you really want, wait two months
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab