What are the pros and cons of using a satin lacquer when compared to using tung oil? Is satin lacquer the way people like warmoth and fender strat satin necks are finished? I'm completely stuck between these two options.
Member #38 of Alter Bridge Rocks Club PM Logz to join
Satin lacquer is more durable and better protecting for the wood, but is more difficult to apply, and maybe not quite as fast as oils.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
The satin lacquer isn't sticky though is it? And what makes it more difficult to apply? Is it just cause you have to spray it on as opposed to just rubbing it on?

How do polyurethane finishes do? I've heard of those, but nothing else about them.
Last edited by tremonti9482 at Jan 27, 2009,
No it is not sticky by any means, but in my experience, as you sweat and play it will get polished and grab your semi-sweaty/sticky hands at times.

It is more difficult to apply because the pre app, post app, and inbetween coat sanding.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Oh alright, so would you recommend tung oil over the satin lacquer?
It's personal preference.

I actually love the way glossy lacquer looks so much that I wouldn't do either one again...

Either way, you'll be happy.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by tremonti9482
Oh alright, so would you recommend tung oil over the satin lacquer?

lacquer should be more durable and not have to be reapplied ever tung oil should be reapplied once a year and isn't as durable but is a great looking and easy finish
I like the way the glossy neck looks, but i'm afraid that if I don't do it right it will be really sticky. I have a PRS that I bought and it has a glossy neck and it's fine, but i'm just afraid it'll end up being really sticky. And i'm trying to go for whatever kind of finish is on a strat, or whichever is closest between gloss, satin, or tung oil.
Strats use gloss lacquer.

You can't really do it wrong and make it sticky. Making it that glossy is actually the most difficult part.

When you apply the clear lacquer, it will probably not go on perfectly, so you'll have to finish sand and buff it, which makes it glossy.

You're glossy finish will not be any stickier than any other glossy finish.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
just my two cents here but i tried a soloist last night with a satin neck and it was the best feeling neck I have ever touched.
Satin is incredibly nice.

I'm torn between sexy glossy necks and smooth satin ones, so I've thought of a sort of hybrid....

Gloss the neck (and fretboard is applicable) and don't buff the played back area to such a gloss.

Have satin where you touch and gloss where you look. Yumm.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Hmmm. I'm leaning towards trying the stain lacquer, I like the feeling of it better as well. If I don't like it, I can always sand it off and gloss it right?
SATIN FTMFW.

My LP had a satin finish, and once the natural oils from my hands got into the stain and wood, it's the comfiest neck I'll ever play.
------

Shwiggity.