Page 1 of 2
So I have finally decided that I will never purchase another guitar with a floyd rose trem on it again. I bought a schecter Damien about a month ago and while I love the feel and sound of the guitar, I made a huge mistake buying the FR version. This guitar cannot be tuned. Period. I have tried and tried and tried but as soon as you get one string in tune, 2 others go flat and the other 3 go way sharp. I have tried adjusting the bridge, I have read the sticky thread at the top of the forum and still nothing. What a expensive pain in the ass.
Yep, still didnt work. I read the setup guide at the top of the forum and tried all of the tuning and adjustments that it showed. After an hour, still nothing.
It's becuase you didn't set the spring tension properly for your tuning in the back of the guitar.

But yea, floyds are a pain in the ass. I had mine blocked (blocked it myself, rather). Problem solved.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
So basically, you made an ignorant purchase and it's no one's fault but your own?

These kinds of topics always make me laugh. Why would you drop money on something you were unsure of to begin with?
Maybe U2 wouldn't suck so hard if they stopped preaching and started rocking instead. Of course, that's difficult to do with Pantera holding a near monopoly on all things that rock.
-Maddox.
Stick with it, you'll get it eventually...

(I made the same mistake with a jackson)

But the best thing is to tune all the strings slightly flat or sharp (depending on your preference and which tuning you want to go to) and then lock the nut and fine tune using string intervals, i.e. E then G and A then B...so you aren't tuning on side of the bridge too much at once...

-TFA
Quote by Cafas
So basically, you made an ignorant purchase and it's no one's fault but your own?

These kinds of topics always make me laugh. Why would you drop money on something you were unsure of to begin with?

why would be such an asshole to some dude who needs help?

that kind of response always makes me laugh. why would you spend so much energy making sure everyone knows youre a dick?
Your first mistake was buy that guitar all the FR's on schecters are SOO terrible. Take it to a luthier and see whats up.
The FR on the Damien isnt hard to tune at all, it just takes longer then a normal bridged guitar. Take your time and tune the strings. Then lock the nut, then fine tune. EASY! plus now youll stay in tune for a lot longer.

It just takes time.
Ummm sir this is how the floyd works you need to cross tune and you shouldnt have to use the tuning machines unless its severly out of tune.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Yeah FR trems are a pain in the a** for about the first year, after you have owned the guitar for a while u will figure out your own tuning method. Now i find my ibanez RG1570 is easier to tune than any of my non-FR guitars. Just stick it out for a bit longer
RG's & Mesa's
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Ummm sir this is how the floyd works you need to cross tune and you shouldnt have to use the tuning machines unless its severly out of tune.

I don't have a problem tuning mine when I unblock it, but what is cross tuning?

If it'll make it easier I'm all for it.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
I don't have a problem tuning mine when I unblock it, but what is cross tuning?

If it'll make it easier I'm all for it.

Basically I tune mine in this order 6,1,2,5,3,4. Repeat until your close to being in tune, fix with fine tuners, done.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Basically I tune mine in this order 6,1,2,5,3,4. Repeat until your close to being in tune, fix with fine tuners, done.

Nice. I'll give it a shot once I get the third string saddle replaced on my S.

Thanks man.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
umm yea seriously its not that hard to set up.
it takes time but if you follow the wonderful guide on this site and have patience a floyd is freaking sweet.
I bought my first floyd (well licensed) on my C1-FR and have been wailing the **** out of it for the past 6 months and still in tune.
I gotta admit I was scared to buy one but seriously I think it is on par, so far, with an OFR.
Quote by strat0blaster
Nice. I'll give it a shot once I get the third string saddle replaced on my S.

Thanks man.

Np glad i could help
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
i could have that baby tuned in 5 minutes tops.......after struggling so long with my jem, i finally figured out all the little quirks of a FR
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
Quote by Pac_man0123
If you have it set up right it shouldn't really do that, and if it does it should be able to be fixed by the fine tuners.

wouldn't tuning down just simplify the final tuning process?
Quote by west nile
wouldn't tuning down just simplify the final tuning process?

In my experience, it's easier to tune, lock it, then fine tune it the little bit that i need to (if any) which is usually hardly a hassle and i find it's usually on only 1 or 2 strings.
yea, i vaguely remember since its been like 6 mo, but I need to change my strings next week so I'll try it. Maybe because I have a LFR?
Quote by Pac_man0123
In my experience, it's easier to tune, lock it, then fine tune it the little bit that i need to (if any) which is usually hardly a hassle and i find it's usually on only 1 or 2 strings.

Agree pacman I tune mine to where its barely flat like maybe 10 cents flat or so, lock, then fine tune to fix the flat cents.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
nevermind, just looked at my tuner after your post lethal, I tune it down half a step, i guess thats right, I'm fairly new to guitar. Maybe thats a bit too much still? As I recall it worked well last set up, will try again next week.
I bought a Yamaha RGX211 back in '86. It had Yamaha's own trem which is notoriously hard to tune but after a while I found a few solutions.
1, I tune a couple of strings sharp. Just a bit so the spring tension is nearer what it will end up at.
2, I tune 4 3 5 2 6 1 to keep tension straight as much as possible.
3, I switched to using a PC software tuner at home as I find them better for basic setting (big dial)
4, After locking, I tune 4 and then tune by harmonics out from that.
5, I do have a small tuner to double check my ears are ok

Someone was asking about a trem on a 12 string? Masochist.
one thing that many MANY people don't seem tog et when setting up floyds is they need to block the trem.

The way i've done my friends guitar is simple and works the best of any methods i've tried.

You block the trem off at exactly level. tighten the springs further than you normally would. Set up everything be it truss rod, intonation, string change, anything.

Once thats done tune the guitar and stretch out all the strings. tune it back into perfect pitch and lock the locking nut and remove your blocking mechanism. all the strings should go sharp because tightened the springs.

Instead of working on getting it all out again, just loosing the spring tension until the a string is in tune. Once thats in tune, because it was set up properly from its natural position once the A is in tune it all should be back to perfect.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
You don't need to block the trem at all, it's a complete myth - most of the time it just causes more work because as soon as you remove the block everything goes out of whack anyway and you're back to square one.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
aye.. its one intricate balancing act with floyds. and even more so with new strings. you're gonna spend the better part of 2-3 days stretching everything and waiting for the springs to "settle in" before it becomes stable enough to lock down. it takes time but it'll work out eventually..

and of course, you can always block it
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
i've never had problems with the LFR on my DKMG, it is a floor model, been played by a bunch of 12 year olds over the course of a year and a half, never set up, and still works perfectly.

i remember seeing in someones sig "the best floyd rose is a properly set up one." and that is so true, if you get yours properly set up it should be fine.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Quote by steven seagull
You don't need to block the trem at all, it's a complete myth - most of the time it just causes more work because as soon as you remove the block everything goes out of whack anyway and you're back to square one.

No, you're not back to square one. what setting up the floyd with it blocked does is ensure that when the trem is level, all strings are in tune. So all you need to do after unblocking the trem is use the springs in the back to level the trem. once thats fine you're strings are all in tune and the trem is flat.

edit: stole the idea from this guy: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=QEyg_sEACdE 7:00 is where he does the 'trick'
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Last edited by .:Darkness:. at Jan 28, 2009,
Quote by west nile
nevermind, just looked at my tuner after your post lethal, I tune it down half a step, i guess thats right, I'm fairly new to guitar. Maybe thats a bit too much still? As I recall it worked well last set up, will try again next week.

Mines half step down too it works fine for now, Im putting a new trem in with my tax refund money though.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by .arkness:.
one thing that many MANY people don't seem tog et when setting up floyds is they need to block the trem.

The way i've done my friends guitar is simple and works the best of any methods i've tried.

You block the trem off at exactly level. tighten the springs further than you normally would. Set up everything be it truss rod, intonation, string change, anything.

Once thats done tune the guitar and stretch out all the strings. tune it back into perfect pitch and lock the locking nut and remove your blocking mechanism. all the strings should go sharp because tightened the springs.

Instead of working on getting it all out again, just loosing the spring tension until the a string is in tune. Once thats in tune, because it was set up properly from its natural position once the A is in tune it all should be back to perfect.

What a long, needlessly overblown, and overcomplicated way to tune a floyd.

You only block them if you don't want to use it. I've tuned several of mine for years and I've never once blocked it to tune it. It's like making two jobs out of one.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
What a long, needlessly overblown, and overcomplicated way to tune a floyd.

You only block them if you don't want to use it. I've tuned several of mine for years and I've never once blocked it to tune it. It's like making two jobs out of one.

*sigh* go look at my second post and watch the video from 7 minutes onwards. IF you're doing a complete setup or anything drastic blocking and doing what i said is the easiest way to go. if you're JUST changing strings, its easier to not block it and change them one by one.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Page 1 of 2