I know a bunch of guys that do this to their amps to get them to break up earlier, but I've never been brave/stupid enough to do it.

I know it's SUPPOSED to damage your tubes, but I'm tired of hearing the same old wives tales. I want to know if anyone has actually done this, and what happened to their tubes.

Would you pull the power tubes?
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
People have done this plenty on these boards. And it doesn't necessarily damage your tubes, it puts more of a strain on them since there are less handling the same signal strength.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Quote by Soul Eater
People have done this plenty on these boards. And it doesn't necessarily damage your tubes, it puts more of a strain on them since there are less handling the same signal strength.

Ahh yeah, it makes sense that it would just wear them out faster.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
The only way it would wear them out faster is if you turned it up louder.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
wat amp are we talking about? Some amps you can do it some you cannot.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
I think a big part of the tube wear concern is that by running only 2 of your 4 power tubes, only 2 of them are getting play time. So, eventually, if you started off with a matched quartet, they become mismatched. Personally, I don't really buy any of that. I'm pretty sure there was a time when power tubes weren't even sold in "matched" sets.
Quote by Stickymongoose
I think a big part of the tube wear concern is that by running only 2 of your 4 power tubes, only 2 of them are getting play time. So, eventually, if you started off with a matched quartet, they become mismatched. Personally, I don't really buy any of that. I'm pretty sure there was a time when power tubes weren't even sold in "matched" sets.

They would drift, but it's not like every tube drifts the same amount in the same direction (up down) so theoretically they could all drift away from matched even if they were all used together.

I'm not sure where the concern with tube wear is coming from. If you're pulling tubes you're trying to get the cranked tone at a somewhat lower volume. Cranking the amp wears down the tubes.

If you're only using two tubes you're saving tubes since you're only using half the tubes you'd normally use.
The resulting effect is minimal and IMO, not even worth the effort.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Artemis Entreri
I'm using my VK. I really just want it to break up at around 4 instead of 7.

I'm not familiar w/ the gain structure on a VK, but I pulled the 2 outer tubes on both of my 100W amps, & they've been fine for a long time. As far as having the 4 tubes eventually being "mismatched", I seriously doubt anyone would ever tell the difference. If a tube's working properly, it's working properly. You'll know if it's not.
You'll only wear out the tubes faster if you crank the amp significantly more, which you probably won't. 50W is not that much quieter than 100W, but for your VK, you won't know til you try it. I do it because I like having an extra set of tubes, & very seldom need 100W, if ever these days.
The main thing to remember though, is YOU MUST HAVE YOUR AMP IMPEDANCE SET TO HALF THE SPEAKER IMPEDANCE!!! For example, if you pull the 2 outer or 2 inner tubes on a 4 power tube amp, & your speaker cab is 16 ohms, you must set your amp's speaker output jack impedance to 8 ohms instead of 16 ohms. For an 8 ohm cab, set amp to 4 ohms, etc.
Doing it properly won't harm your amp in any way, no matter what someone else may tell you. I got the info directly from Soldano, so you can trust it's correct.
Good luck!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by Artemis Entreri
I'm using my VK. I really just want it to break up at around 4 instead of 7.
Do not pull two tubes from the 100 watt Peavey VK. The tube heaters are connected in series and need all four tubes to operate properly. Peavey Service Rep's have answered this question numerous times at the Peavey forums.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
Do not pull two tubes from the 100 watt Peavey VK. The tube heaters are connected in series and need all four tubes to operate properly. Peavey Service Rep's have answered this question numerous times at the Peavey forums.

Thank you, I was just about to do it.

Can you link me to a specific site though?

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Thank you, I was just about to do it.

Can you link me to a specific site though?
It's The Whammy Bar & Grille (peavey forums)
Google that and you'll find it.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
if you really wanna do that...i d say go mod your amp (any amp for that matter) for a half power switch....i have it on my jcm900....it even has its own recognition system with an LED that ll come on if a tube is failing in which case it automatically goes into half power mode.
wait. so If I got say, a 60 watt 4-power-tube amp and pulled 2 tubes it would effectively be at ~30w? with no harm to the amp, in most cases?
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Quote by BD 425
wait. so If I got say, a 60 watt 4-power-tube amp and pulled 2 tubes it would effectively be at ~30w? with no harm to the amp, in most cases?

Yup, but as I always say, ask the company who makes the amp first. It seems you can't do this with the VK100, I'm sure their are other amps that it won't work on.
Can you pull a tube, play, put it back in?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by Van Noord

Well, THAT's good to know. There's always one company that does things some weird ass way that goes against the grain of everything. I've done this for years on dozens of types of amps, & this is the first I've heard of ANY 4 power tube amp that it can't be done to safely. Thanks for the heads up!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011