What is classic rock tone?

I mean, Hendrix's tone sounds completely different from Duane Allman's tone which sounds completely different from Angus Young's tone which sounds completely dififerent from Jimmy Page's tone.
What kind of guitar do you have?
Or is this a hypothetical?
Good pickups for classic rock would be Gibson Burstbuckers, Classic 57s (like lpmarshall said), Seymour Duncan JBs or PAFs.
Member of the Laney Cult
I recall reading once that he has a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and a DiMarzio PAF Classic in the neck. Not positive though, so to be safe I'd just look up that signature Black Beauty and use the pickups it uses if their sold standalone.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by ledzeppelinman
Im looking for the Jimmy Page tone

Then look at either a set of slightly overwound PAF style pickups (maybe in the 8k/9k range) if you want that early Page tone or a t-top bridge (lower output than PAF, brighter, more single coil character) if you're into the 1973-80 kind of tone.

There a ton of options for PAF style pickups, www.shedpickups.com makes a pickup called the Shed Zeppelin, I think it's just an overwound PAF style pickup, WCR makes a pickup called the Darkburst which seems to work well for Zeppelin-ish tones.

http://www.wcrguitar.com/darkburst.html

Not many people make t-top clones, but you can get a pickup custom wound for you at a good price by Jeff at High Order pickups. But there is a waiting list for his pickups and the turnaround time is 8 weeks. He makes great PAF replicas as well.

Quote by necrosis1193
I recall reading once that he has a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and a DiMarzio PAF Classic in the neck. Not positive though, so to be safe I'd just look up that signature Black Beauty and use the pickups it uses if their sold standalone.

Page? I've never once heard of Page using Dimarzios, besides, it seems rather silly to replace authentic PAFs with Dimarzios (especially a set of pickups that sounded as good as Pagey's), I know that after Zeppelin he had a pickup wound for him by MJ over at the Seymour Duncan custom shop. You can get that set wound for you for $300 or so I believe. Just call them up, ask for MJ and tell her what you want. But this was post-Zeppelin.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 27, 2009,
you don't really need a set of $300 pickups for a classic rock/Jimmy Page tone....
Unless you want to spend big bucks.

You can be easily satisfied with a set from Toneriders for about $100 or so. Or go for something from BG-Pups, SD or DiMarzio. They're more than adequate.
Not 100% made the same way as what he used, but you'll be close, and no one listening will be able to tell.
Dimarzio PAFs might work well, im thinkin about putting one in my strat
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by ledzeppelinman

You looking at any tone inparticular? He has numerous tones.

Quote by necrosis1193

What you read was a myth about #3 using a DiMarzio. His #1 had PAFs up through February 1972 until the bridge PAF failed and it was replaced with a T-Top in May 1972. It stayed in there until the early 90's when a custom Seymour Duncan was installed which still resides in there today. #2 has PAFs. And his #3 used T-Tops through Zep, a set of Seymour Duncans were installed in the mid 1980's.

The Pagebuckers that came in the Black Beauty aren't sold seperately sadly. When they were in his #1 replica they were wound around 8k with alnico 3 magnets. They're bright and clear.
Last edited by Whole Lotta Led at Jan 28, 2009,
Quote by ledzeppelinman

which one?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
There's a gentleman up top who mentioned Jeff from HighOrder Pickups. I'm going to second his recommendation in spades. Jeff built me a bridge pickup of around 9.5K and a neck pickup of around 7.5K and I'll never look back. They're the best sounding pickups I've ever PERSONALLY heard. And the greatest part you ask? I only paid 150 bucks for 'em and got pickups that were hand/scatter wound to sound just like I wanted them to.
Quote by properpat
There's a gentleman up top who mentioned Jeff from HighOrder Pickups. I'm going to second his recommendation in spades. Jeff built me a bridge pickup of around 9.5K and a neck pickup of around 7.5K and I'll never look back. They're the best sounding pickups I've ever PERSONALLY heard. And the greatest part you ask? I only paid 150 bucks for 'em and got pickups that were hand/scatter wound to sound just like I wanted them to.

Jeff's pickups are indeed amazing but that waiting list and wait time just killed me. However, the Tim Cox clip of his A3 asymmetric winds on his website seriously almost makes me want to buy another guitar just so I can try a set out.
I can understand that my friend. You can ask anybody who came within three miles of me during those two months. All I talked about was 'MAN I CAN'T WAIT TO GET THOSE PICKUPS!!!' And I enjoy them greatly.
i assume OP is a huge beginner and would not understand words such as overwound. okay op, what kinda jimmy page tone you looking for? which song did you listen to page's work on?
Quote by jimithrash
i assume OP is a huge beginner and would not understand words such as overwound. okay op, what kinda jimmy page tone you looking for? which song did you listen to page's work on?

I agree with your assumption, but either way, pickup recommendations depend on the guitar (and of course the amp) being used.

I'd personally get an LP (or maybe a Yamaha AES) strung with .8s, fitted with Bareknuckle 'Black Dogs', a nice 50s Tele, a little Supro amp and maybe an Orange stack for live use.
But that's just me....