Is it true that studying to classical music helps improve your brain power?
If so, can anyone recommend me some good classical music?
Or give me a source of any of this supposed research that says what I think is true?
Meh, help?
Study to Gregorian chant. Seriously. I did it yesterday.

edit: But, I don't know for sure if its proven that studying to classical improves brain power, but it is definitely better to study to than death metal.
i seriously doubt it actually makes you smarter, and would be very very leery of anyone who tells you it does.
I have no opinion on this matter.
I find that any music w.o vocals playing in the background helps me study. It's different for different people though. Just try it with different kinds of music and see what makes you focus the best.
I have heard that listening to guitar related music, and probably music in general, helps improve memory. Not sure if I believe it.
However, I always find that studying while listening to music just distracts me
ottmar libeert - nuevo flamenco is awesome classical stuff....... but as for it helping you study, maybe, if you were trying to study nuevo flamenco it would would be really helpful
Quote by Bubban
I once had a sudden urge to rape sheep in Scotland after watching CNN, that was pretty freaky.
Quote by tyler_j
Is it true that studying to classical music helps improve your brain power?
If so, can anyone recommend me some good classical music?
Or give me a source of any of this supposed research that says what I think is true?
Meh, help?

The research I think you're referring to is in regards to infants, and, since I doubt you're an infant, it will probably not make you smarter. It does make studying easier, however, so that said, I would try Schubert's Unfinished Symphony (No.8), Bach's Toccata And Fugue, and several of Tchaikovsky's shorter works, such as: the Capriccio Italien, Romeo and Juliet Fantasy Overture, 1812 Overture, the Slavonic March (Marche Slave). Other then that, downloading anything that says "Symphony No.#" is probably not a bad idea.
Music? not very loud and in the background, yes
just classical, no
that was statement was made by people who want the youth of america to grow up on classical music
its much more likely the kind of music you enjoy
i for one like studing to Death, as long as its not too loud
(\/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny.
(")_(") ExtremeMetalFTW donated these ears
Notice something wrong? Yea, me too
| |
[ ]
Quote by imicius
The research I think you're referring to is in regards to infants, and, since I doubt you're an infant, it will probably not make you smarter.

I do have the maturity of an infant though

and thanks for the list
I guess it relates to this thread, but I'm doing a group lab study in my Physiology class as to how different types of music affect brainwaves while doing simple math problems. We hooked each other up to an EEG (electroencephalogram) and played 3 different types of music, including classical, as well as a control with no music, and examined the brainwaves.

It's been pretty interesting to watch the EEG as it records and sometimes see the brainwaves go to the music, we haven't interpreted the results yet, but it's been pretty interesting so far.

As to what you are asking though, I haven't seen any research regarding your question, nor do I study listening to classical music, so I guess I'm not much help.
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
Paganini, Bach, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Vacher.

/thread

I happen to study to post-rock and it also seems to work, A Silver Mt. Zion mostly.
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
Quote by MyNameIsLame
Paganini, Bach, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Vacher.

/thread

I happen to study to post-rock and it also seems to work, A Silver Mt. Zion mostly.

I agree; I love post-rock. Some of it is quite orchestral, in fact. If you want some orchestral post-rock stuff, try 13 Blues for Thirteen Moons by A Silver Mt. Zion and Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven by Godspeed You! Black Emperor.
why does everyone think it has to be classical music? i can see why you wouldnt want music with words because you might be focusing more on what the song is saying rather than studying but thats the only reason i can think of. i listen to like joe satriani and steve vai instrumentals when i study.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

Quote by imicius
I agree; I love post-rock. Some of it is quite orchestral, in fact. If you want some orchestral post-rock stuff, try 13 Blues for Thirteen Moons by A Silver Mt. Zion and Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven by Godspeed You! Black Emperor.

I love GY!BE.

You and I would get along quite nicely.
Quote by Mudmen190

Quote by musiclover2399

Quote by Oroborous

My Last.FM
This whole thing started because there are some studies that imply that listening to a few pieces (not all of his works) by Mozart could temporarily increase one's IQ. From here, people said "Yeah, dude, listening to Mozart makes you smarter" and because Mozart is one of, if not the most famous and well-known composer of the classical era, people then started saying "Yeah, dude! Listening to classical music makes you smarter.
Not necesarilly classical for me, but studying to any instrumental music helps me concentrate. If it has vocals in it it's worse then having no music for some reason.
Quote by MyNameIsLame
I love GY!BE.

You and I would get along quite nicely.

I do not doubt it. It took me a very long time to get into them, however, as I did not listen to Lift Your Skinny Fists... until after I already liked them. My first GY!BE album was F#A#∞, which is abit weird.
music stimulates not only the auditory/hearing system but other parts of the brain as well and definitely is good for the brain. Also physically playing the guitar or some other instrument also works like that, and even better. now listening to classical music won't necessarily make you smarter, but I would say it is the best form of music along with jazz.
i like broccoli and long drives at the beach on my segway
Err... as cool as Godspeed is I don't think studying to them would improve you brainpower.

But they've actually done studies though that show people work better, and harder while listening to Mozart. I don't know if it helps or not, but my favorite composer to study to is Antonio Vivaldi.
Quote by imicius
I do not doubt it. It took me a very long time to get into them, however, as I did not listen to Lift Your Skinny Fists... until after I already liked them. My first GY!BE album was F#A#∞, which is abit weird.

I'm a fan of Yanqui UXO myself.
Quote by Mudmen190

Quote by musiclover2399

Quote by Oroborous

My Last.FM