Hey everyone,
I think it's about time I got a better guitar...I've had this Squier by Fender for a year; and that is how long I've been playing too. I want to move into metal ( Tool's progressive-metal ya?), but I still like rocking out to grunge when I want to as well.

My guitar has 2 single coils and a hum bucker, ( it's how I bought it! ), seems most of the starter packs just have single coils...

I don't know that much about guitar brands at all, I've been a forum lurker and from what I've gathered...everyone hates each others guitar >_>. Gibson haters, Ibanez haters, Schecter haters, etc. it goes on. It doesn't really give me a good starting point.

I really like the 'look' of Gibson's and it doesn't hurt that Adam Jones uses one either; but the sharpness of an Ibanez is also sexy to me...

I guess a budget would be < $1,300 American...

How important is a whammy bar?

Thanks for any help
Last edited by SheLeftMe at Jan 27, 2009,
First off, you will want a new amp. Comprende?
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt combo amp
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.
Yea, an amp is always the first place to start, followed by a nice metal pedal, and then a new guitar. Whammy bars are really important in metal, look into getting a floyd rose, their difficult to understand but well worth it
Easily the second best guitarist from Oklahoma City
My amp at the moment is a Peavey Vypyr 75watt. Foot pedal too ;D

edit~ I have a boss ML-2 or something distortion pedal as well, and a Dunlop Wah-wah. ( bulls on parade )
Amp is more important. I like Ibanez guitars, but I've only had good luck with the more expensive models. The cheap ones just don't play very well. Good 'metal' guitar on a budget; a 'fat' strat, meaning one with a humbucker, replace it with something mean. You'll get haters saying no, but Iron Maiden uses them.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
whammy bars aren't REALLY important. A lot of people use them, but you certainly don't need one. The guy in Tool plays a LP for example; no vibrato arm.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Get a Line 6 Spider 212.
They're useful long-term and you can get interesting sounds out of them which teaches you experimentation.

As for a new guitar? You want something that will last you years worth of a skill range. Something around 500-800.

Some good choices, IMO are:

B.C. Rich ASM Pro
Jackson DXMG/DKMG
Epiphone Prophecy Series
B.C. Rich King V
A mid-range Ibanez
Telecaster
Jackson RR3 Rhoads
ESP FM-150/250/200

And that's a short list of recommended guitars.

But for a beginner?

NEVER BUY A GIBSON.
First of all... it's the brand name that makes that guitar company nowadays...
They're ridiculously heavy, and if you're looking for a metal guitar/prog. metal... it's the last place you want to go.
And... they're overpriced. Beautiful, but overpriced.

So yes, Gibson is gorgeous. But overrated. For example... PRS guitars are far more extravagant and beautiful... and actually sound as good.

As for a metal pedal. Don't buy digital. Get tube.

Some nice ones:

Silver Dragon
Metal Mayhem (Seymour Duncan)

Good luck, and remember to try a guitar out before taking our words for it. Same with everything you buy, really. It's in the taste of the musician.
Quote by Twisted Magnum
I'd throw a Marshall MG at him while he succumbs to tone killing gain.

Quote by King Krapp
Spend all $200 on M&M's, then find a friend with an acoustic, and fill the body with them. Why? Because you can.

Last edited by headbangerbuggy at Jan 27, 2009,
^ I will have to search those guitars now, thank you . Too bad about the Gibsons, of course anything will look better than this guitar now...it just doesn't have the 'cool' factor it used to have.
well basically i doesnt matter what other people think its actually how the guitar feels for you. i play a dean ml and the v shaped neck plays perfectly in my hand but i went into my local music shop and found i really flew up and down the fret board on thinner neck.
so basically you want to try a few different guitars from each brand and pick what works for you but you need to get out there and try em.
a normal tremolo bar like on your squier is really quite a riduculous idea unless u kno how to use it and keep it the guitar in tune at the same time cos thats all i find happening when i use a normal trmolo.so if your looking for a guitar with a whammy bar you'll want to get a guitar with aflody rose cos not only does it make the sounds go lower but u can pull back and go higher and the locking nuts prevent the guitar from tuning out.so most guitars that have floyd roses are all your more metal guitar brands ie esp,jackson,dean even some ibanez have them.
but in the end all it comes down to is how you feel comfortable, and how you play.
Quote by SheLeftMe
^ I will have to search those guitars now, thank you . Too bad about the Gibsons, of course anything will look better than this guitar now...it just doesn't have the 'cool' factor it used to have.

No problem, at all man.
And I understand... your first guitar lasts you a very short amount of time, typically. Which is why you want to buy the next one with long-term desires in mind. You want the next one to hold you over til you decide you want a collection.
Quote by Twisted Magnum
I'd throw a Marshall MG at him while he succumbs to tone killing gain.

Quote by King Krapp
Spend all $200 on M&M's, then find a friend with an acoustic, and fill the body with them. Why? Because you can.

well if you dont want heavy gibson you go sg, and i think they sound pretty damn good gibsons that is, obviously the other guy there doesnt like htem but its all in hte persons opinion so dont make opinions on guitars without trying them first
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Well if you're happy with your amp, Epiphone Les Paul Customs are great. If you have $1300 American, you could buy one and put some new pickups in (Seymour Duncan Distortion or JB for bridge, Jazz or '59 for neck), and there you have an amazing axe.
It's the kind of guitar that no matter which musical direction you take further down the track, it'll still be usable. Very versatile guitars.
A nice Ibanez S series could be good too. They're nice guitars. Once again, a possible pickup-swap there, and you'd have a really badass guitar.
Member of the Laney Cult
I appreciate everyone's thorough and very helpful advice, thank you! I suppose I am leaning towards this jackson or this epphone.

About active pickups, for the music I'm into ( Grunge, Black Sabbath, Tool, White Stripes {<- easy stuff, but it's 2nd to Tool for me} {and maybe some day faster metal} ) would I use these pick-ups with my Amp. set up or switch the pick ups to passives?

Again, much thanks and sorry for my noobiness.
American Strat
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Last edited by SheLeftMe at Jan 28, 2009,
My advice is to put together some of your budget and a get a good amp for your needs. I couldn't tell exactly what sort of music you are into from your posts, but I would recommend looking into a tube combo amp around the $700-$800 mark, like say a Peavey XXX combo, maybe a used Peavey 6505 combo. I don't know too much about metal amps though. Maybe a used Mesa.

And then once you've found a GOOD amp for your needs, with the money you have left over, find the guitar you want. You can make a bit of money by selling your current amp of course, and once you've found a guitar for your needs, sell the guitar as well.

I know that Jackson and Ibanez are usually recommended for people looking into "metal", there's also some nice BC Rich models like the Gunsliger and ASM.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Active pickups + Solid state amp = Pretty horrible tone.
Other than the actives, that's one helluva guitar (the Epiphone).
The Jackson is also really nice, but if I were you I'd avoid actives for now.
The DK2M is almost identical to the DKMG, just without active pickups. It comes stock with some Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz pickups, which are really very nice.
The Epiphone Les Paul Custom/Standard (without actives) has average stock pickups, but it's an amazing guitar which can play pretty much any genre you want.
If you feel you're going to play 80s glam rock, progressive metal, shred, or anything that would utilise a locking tremolo a lot, then it might be worth getting the Jackson.
If you don't think you will, and you want to change tunings, you'll want something that doesn't have a locking trem.
I stand by my recommendation of an Epiphone Les Paul or possibly even an Epiphone G400 SG with some new pickups in them; they're fantastic guitars, not very expensive, and they last forever.

EDIT: Also, what MustangSVT said is really good advice. Even though the Peavy Vyper is a decent enough amp, it'll still never sound like a really nice tube amp.
Used 6505/XXX combos are nice, so are used Laney VC50 combos. They've discontinued the VC50 now, which is horrible, seeing as it is honestly one of my favourite amps.
It's basically the combo version of the GH50L/GH100L, which is what I have, but the GH series are half stacks, which I honestly regret buying due to the fact they're so fucking loud.
But yeah. Nice amp or nice guitar, either way. I just wouldn't recommend active pickups until you have a full tube amp, because they generally sound better through one.
Member of the Laney Cult
Last edited by JaykeSucks at Jan 28, 2009,