I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Jan 27, 2009,
could you explain this "reamping rig" you always talk about? i dont really get it
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Run amp into load box (in this case, my attenuator) then use line out on load box to run it to a power amp, run poweramp to speaker. Riffhog said you can get cranked tone at whisper volumes with no tone loss. Seeing as he owns an EVH 5150 III a soldano SLO and a mojave scropion I trust his ear.
woooo van halen tone...but youre supposed to run the power amp out a line out for recording that some amps have.
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
My amp doesn't have that, so I run it to a load box that does.
do you know if it will work with the same effectiveness? because I have been thinking about doing that for a while now
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
I've been looking for the past month or so to try and find something that would work for this as well, and I just keep coming back to the Powerblock as the smallest and, by far, one of the cheapest options. The one thing I noticed about the power amps you've found on eBay is the only one that has an 8 ohm output that you'd require for your amp is the Rocktron Velocity (the first one). That'd be the one I'd try to get if you can't find a Powerblock.

In any case, I would greatly appreciate an update on how your new rig works when you get it completed; I've been dying to try this on my V1512 because I adore the tone I can get with the level open and the gain up (very Voxy), but I can only play it when I don't want to wake up the neighborhood and when I have a set of earplugs in.
The output doesn't really matter. Seeing as they are all solid state it's ok to have a load with a higher ohm rating than the output.

I'll keep you all updated on how it works.

The rocktron does seem promising especially if the price stays low

Laidback, thanks, but I'm looking for around 100 bucks.
Figured you were looking to keep it cheap. But if I were to get a rackmount setup, that would be the power amp I'd get. Run one side with 6L6's and one side with EL34's and hook em up in stereo....that has to be an interesting sound.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Yeah, if this works out I'll probably get a cheap tube power amp in the future, or just save up for a splawn or something. Once I have another amp I'm gonna send my BJr off to get converted for 6V6s.
Quote by Kevin Saale
The output doesn't really matter. Seeing as they are all solid state it's ok to have a load with a higher ohm rating than the output.

I'll keep you all updated on how it works.

Actually, that's great news for me; my amps both have 16 ohm speaker loads and I've had a ton of trouble finding a power amp with a 16 ohm output. They all have 4 or 8 ohms at the most.

Another option I just found (if you weren't going the cheap route or could find it used) would be a Tech 21 Power Engine. They have a mono version with 300W of output at 4 ohm, 200 at 8, and 150 at 16. Seems like it would be a great thing to use as well.
Powerblock.

No, but seroiusly, I'd go with the Rocktron
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by mikewaz
Actually, that's great news for me; my amps both have 16 ohm speaker loads and I've had a ton of trouble finding a power amp with a 16 ohm output. They all have 4 or 8 ohms at the most.

Another option I just found (if you weren't going the cheap route or could find it used) would be a Tech 21 Power Engine. They have a mono version with 300W of output at 4 ohm, 200 at 8, and 150 at 16. Seems like it would be a great thing to use as well.

Yeah, you won't see them at 16 ohms simply becuase they make quite a bit less power as you can see. SS is all about efficiency, part of that is using a 4 ohm cab to make the most of the amp.