So the stock pickups in the Gibson les paul custom are good, but not great. The highs are a bit touchy, and the pickups all all around a bit average. Im looking to try a few to put the finishing touches on my sound. My sound is mid-high gain, and I play everything from clean stuff to teh br00talz. It must compliment the brightness of an ebony fretboard, so I dont want the sound to be TOO bright. The guitar is very bright, but the amp is quite dark, so im looking to balance it out a bit more. So far i've looked at Seymour Duncan Customs, Distortion, Custom 5, etc. Ive always been a bit of an SD guy, but im totally open to other suggestions. No actives, or any of that.

EDIT: For the neck pickup, i'm not as knowledgeable. Most people seem to use the Jazz or 59' model.

Suggestions?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Last edited by dcdossett65 at Jan 27, 2009,
Bare Knuckle, Sheptone, Suhr, Fralin, and similar stuff to that. I think SD will custom wind you stuff for I think around $300-400.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Seymour Duncan JB/59.

/thread.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Seymour Duncan JB/59.

/thread.

I hear JB's sound quite thin, and not great with mahogany
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
I hear JB's sound quite thin, and not great with mahogany

Sh*t - they blew the world up when I put them in my LP. They're nice and thick sounding, pretty rounded, in my experience anyway.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
The JB is very bright. Imo it sounds very muddy in maple capped les pauls, I imagine it's flubby bass would only be worsened by an all mahogany guitar.
Hmm, ill have to hear some A/B clips. Are the highs to piercing? I hear some people replace the pots with 250k to rounf off the highs a bit.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
the highs in the JB are pretty harsh, but that is not the big issue, the big issue is the muddy low end in a les paul. Imo, they just do not work in les pauls at all.
Quote by al112987
the highs in the JB are pretty harsh, but that is not the big issue, the big issue is the muddy low end in a les paul. Imo, they just do not work in les pauls at all.

Thats what I had heard. Tried them in michael wilton's ESP and it sounded great in Alder, but I had assumed the opposite for LP's.

Anyways, what the deal with those Fillmores? They seem more clasic voiced?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by al112987

The highs weren't that piercing when I had it. I guess my taste is just different.

I ended up sellin the guitar and putting an EVO in my S anyway, though.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
The JB does sound good in brighter guitars (weird considering they're so bright), but it's easier to tame excessive brightness than it is to dial out muddiness or flubbiness.

As for the Fillmores, they're... not exactly classic voiced (ie. PAF-voiced like every other "classic voiced" pickup). I mean, they are in the sense that Jim Wagner created them to duplicate Duane Allman's tone from "Live at Fillmore East," (Duane's pickups weren't PAFs, they were PAFs that he had taken apart and rewound so that they were a fair bit hotter than a PAF and have huge, open mids that PAFs don't) and they do work great for classic rock, but they work great for heavier styles as well and they drive the front end of your amp a fair bit more than PAFs do.

I recall when I first installed them on my les paul it was like taking a blanket over my amp, they were just so open and articulate sounding compared to the pickups I had in there (SD '59/JB), but at the same time, I felt like they were driving my amp a lot harder than the JB. In reality, they're not really THAT hot, but they're so responsive and sensitive that it feels like they are. But I cannot tell you how much the guitar opened up with these, I've never heard such clarity from a set of humbuckers wound to these specs, and they really clean up incredibly well. They're super versatile, but they're not for everyone, if you like to have a grinding, edgy top end, you won't get it with the Fillmores. It's kind of odd, the bridge pickup has a ton of bite, but overall it's a very creamy tone. I don't know how else to describe it but "creamy" in texture and sound, and if you like something that grinds (ie. a slight bit of harshness); then you might be better off with something else.

The downside is that they're expensive, and you kind of have to decide if the $260 bill is worth it or not for a set of 2.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 28, 2009,
Quote by al112987
The JB does sound good in brighter guitars (weird considering they're so bright), but it's easier to tame excessive brightness than it is to dial out muddiness or flubbiness.

As for the Fillmores, they're... not exactly classic voiced (ie. PAF-voiced like every other "classic voiced" pickup). I mean, they are in the sense that Jim Wagner created them to duplicate Duane Allman's tone from "Live at Fillmore East," (Duane's pickups weren't PAFs, they were PAFs that he had taken apart and rewound so that they were a fair bit hotter than a PAF and have huge, open mids that PAFs don't) and they do work great for classic rock, but they work great for heavier styles as well and they drive the front end of your amp a fair bit more than PAFs do.

I recall when I first installed them on my les paul it was like taking a blanket over my amp, they were just so open and articulate sounding compared to the pickups I had in there (SD '59/JB), but at the same time, I felt like they were driving my amp a lot harder than the JB. In reality, they're not really THAT hot, but they're so responsive and sensitive that it feels like they are. But I cannot tell you how much the guitar opened up with these, I've never heard such clarity from a set of humbuckers wound to these specs, and they really clean up incredibly well. They're super versatile, but they're not for everyone, if you like to have a grinding, edgy top end, you won't get it with the Fillmores. It's kind of odd, the bridge pickup has a ton of bite, but overall it's a very creamy tone. I don't know how else to describe it but "creamy" in texture and sound, and if you like something that grinds (ie. a slight bit of harshness); then you might be better off with something else.

The downside is that they're expensive, and you kind of have to decide if the $260 bill is worth it or not for a set of 2.

I do liek the idea of a creamier top end. But can they d heavier stuff as well? Im all over the board in terms of playing style
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
They can certainly do heavier styles, but I think one thing that might cause a problem is that they don't really have a super aggressive high end, so if you're into something like that grinding EMG kind of top end, you're not going to get it. Second thing is they have their own voice, and it's a very prominent voice, they are really a lead player's pickup, and your lead tone will certainly stand out, it's a very "vocal" tone. If you like a flat EQ response (again, like with something like EMGs or something like that), then you might get annoyed by the mids of the Fillmore. I can imagine they could be overpowering for some. Otherwise, WCR also has a set of pickups called the Goodwoods, which kind of have a more... "conventional" PAF like tone, but are wound way hotter than you'd hear any PAF. The highs are slightly rolled back on these but they aren't as creamy sounding as the Fillmore, they're a tad scooped sounding in comparison and I think fat and juicy are really the best way to describe them.

Here is another clip
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=349730&content=songinfo&songID=6572910

That is really a very get representation of what they sound like (though with my setup, I get a bit more bite and a little less prominent lower mids).

And here is a clip of the Goodwoods
http://www.wcrguitar.com/godwood_clips.html
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=349730&content=songinfo&songID=6477019
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 28, 2009,
Hm, well I despise EMG's, so thats out of the questoin in terms of wanting something like them.

I really do want a smoother sounding lead tone on the bridge, but is still capable to do metal-esque rhythms well. In fact, even if theyre no better than the stock 498T's in the gibson for metal stuff, thats just fine.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Hmmm...maybe a Dimarzio Norton with a Breed in the neck.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by al112987

yeah, they are kinda weird, aren't they? i've tried them in alder guitars with bolt-on maple necks where they've sounded horrible (even worse than in my edwards LP, where i agree with your analysis of the shortcomings of the tone- i'd add another one, which is more preference, but still: way too hot for "classic" LP tone), but i've also tried them in guitars made of the same wood where they've sounded quite nice (for that 80s type of tone)...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?