So I've decided to buy a half stack. My budget is roughly 900 canadian, but id be willing to save for a bit.
I currently have a Valveking 112 and love the tone. So i was thinking I might just buy the valve king stack. But I just found the Windsor stack and its a heck of a lot cheaper, and its all tube. I'm guessing it's more for classic rock though, right? I'm playing mostly hardcore/metal. Emmure/bury your dead stuff. any suggestions?
The Windsor would probably not fare too well with heavy distortion by itself...
The Windsor with a good OD might be able to do real high gain stuff.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
yeah, i figured the Windsor probably wasn't much of a metal amp. And i wouldn't just buy a cab because than i'm only pushing 50 watts.
Windsor=not hardcore/metal. A friend got one a while ago and just bought another and it only goes up to JCM800 level gain on a good day without something pushing it. It doesn't have enough low end with the stock cab either so you're gonna want to get a better cab if you're planning on playing hardcore.

Quote by I Like Me.
yeah, i figured the Windsor probably wasn't much of a metal amp. And i wouldn't just buy a cab because than i'm only pushing 50 watts.

So? You know it's nearly as loud as a 100 watt amp?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Jan 28, 2009,
as for just pedaling the the windsor, I'm really not much of a fan of od pedals, it always sounds kind of fake to me. I guess its just preference.
I think a used 5150 half stack would be better for that sort of music, and shouldn't run too much higher in price.
i havent been able to find a 5150 for the life of me! Alll i can find is the brand new EVH one on musicians friend, and its like 3000 dollars.
you should just get a cab and sit your
combo ontop of it.,
buy a head later when you get enough cash
to afford a really good one.
Last edited by CityKid at Jan 28, 2009,
Quote by I Like Me.
i havent been able to find a 5150 for the life of me! Alll i can find is the brand new EVH one on musicians friend, and its like 3000 dollars.

The 6505 is the same electronics, but Peavey doesn't have an endorsement deal with Eddie any more.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Windsor a single channel amp. Just curious.

If you like the valveking get yourself a cab for it. Are you going to keep both amps? Or sell the one you have and buy a new one?
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Quote by boxcarmonument
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Windsor a single channel amp. Just curious.

If you like the valveking get yourself a cab for it. Are you going to keep both amps? Or sell the one you have and buy a new one?

Yea, the Windsor is a single channel amp. The cleans suck on it too, no matter what we've tried.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by I Like Me.
So I've decided to buy a half stack. My budget is roughly 900 canadian, but id be willing to save for a bit.
I currently have a Valveking 112 and love the tone. So i was thinking I might just buy the valve king stack. But I just found the Windsor stack and its a heck of a lot cheaper, and its all tube. I'm guessing it's more for classic rock though, right? I'm playing mostly hardcore/metal. Emmure/bury your dead stuff. any suggestions?

Bugera 6260 or a used 5150.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
^No. With a Bugera you're almost certainly gonna have to get something repaired.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
^No. With a Bugera you're almost certainly gonna have to get something repaired.

I own one, gig with it, jam with it on a regular basis, hasn't let me down yet.

Bandwagoning isn't what the cool kids do man.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by I Like Me.

Thats not a problem at all.....Some JCM800, 900 series stuff only pushes 50watts and sounds FANTASTIC
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
you don't need a halfstack. they are overkill unless your playing a huge gig with no PA system. Either stick with the amp you have now and OD it or get a combo with high gain on it.
Quote by InvaderTSN
It's the Asian blood in his veins. It allows him to accomplish things normal people are unable to.

Puberty was very vague. I literally locked myself in a room and played guitar.