How do we convince our drummer that the small amounts of money we make should go to a band fund and not split up evenly between the band. I mean if we make 200 bucks off a show, and we have expenses we have to pay for (PA system at practice, cds, tshirts) isnt it much smarter to save that up as a sum, rather than give out 40 to each person? It adds up to a lot soon, instead of being spent uselessly on some unnecessary crap
Quote by pengiunman
Hahaha you crack me up swansareroadkil.

:can't think of a smiley to put, your too cool:
Out-vote him. if four of five band members say green light, there isn't much he can do about it.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
yea but then were getting ripped off when we have to pay for tshirts and other expenses that the BAND should cover, not our own pockets
Quote by pengiunman

You could try a compromise. Half the fund goes to band related stuff, the other half is divided among members.

That way $100 goes to funding the band, and the individuals each get a small amount to tide them over for whatever else they're doing.

Or you could treat the "band" as an independent member and give it a share equal to the money you divide up among the members. That way the drummer gets his fair portion, and the band has more money to reinvest in itself.
Does being successful truly make you a sell out? Can't you do your own original music and be successful because of it?
Actually that might work
Personally, im somewhere in the middle of the idea. I wouldnt mind the extra cash, but i do agree with the necessity of the band fund. Our guitarist only wants the band fund, our drummer exclusively doesnt
this could be a nice compromise
Thanks again UG!
solving all my lifes problems since April 2006 lol
Quote by pengiunman

well how bout this:

if he wants to get paid at every show, he should not be allowed to take any cut of any merchandise produced with money from the band fund. ie: he gets his equal percentage of the money from cover charge, or whatever the bar agreed to pay you, but when you guys sell t-shirts, cd's, stickers, etc, which were paid for by the band fund, that money goes in a separate pile for you guys, or back into the band fund.

it's the same as if everyone but the drummer invested their cut of the band money together, so he can't claim any profit from it. he may try to say that by simply performing in the band, he deserves a cut of merchandise that his performance might help sell... you can counter by pointing out that he's technically a hired gun (if he wants to be paid at every show), and if he asks for too high a price, he could be replaced.

that way, those so inclined can put ALL of their band earnings back into the band, making the band fund even larger.

joining a band is an investment, and you have to expect initial losses and sacrifices to make long-term gains. same as anything.
Last edited by frigginjerk at Jan 28, 2009,
Quote by swansareroadkil
yea but then were getting ripped off when we have to pay for tshirts and other expenses that the BAND should cover, not our own pockets

its his money.

tshirts and cds and stuff are more your priority than his/hers. if he doesnt want to help pay for them, then that's his decision.

i wouldnt pay him if you sold cds and tshirts and whatever else profit you might make from your 'expenses' but you at least owe him money for performing.
If your only making $200 a gig, not much to support a slush fund for the band.

Other things you could try are;

Sponsorship - If your band really gets a lot of attention, local business' might be willing to help out to get free advertising. We have a few that sponsor shows to get attention - "brought to you by..." "banners on the stage or drum riser" "a short thank you from the singer at breaks" - it's promotion at it's finest...

One of our local t-shirt shops prints our shirts for free and takes a cut on sales, if any..lol
But more importantly, they advertise on our shirts... logo in the corner.

CDs are cheap, end of statement...

Promote yourself on myspace and make your songs available for download.

Line up multi-band gigs, most sound guys will cut you a deal, if there is more than one band or it's a longer show.

My investment in the band is practicing and showing up. I have all my own equipment, but as a band we all share in what we take to the show. At the end of the night, no matter how much is made, we split equally. We help each other out as much as possible, but at the end of the night 25% is 25%, no questions...period!

Oh, one more thing... every place we play at;

prints the fliers and puts them out(first time we played at the hardest place to get into around here, we saw fliers for our show around town- the owner pays his paper boy to hang them on his route),

advertises the show on the radio or TV(depending on the venue),

provides house PA if suitable for our set(most of the time we like our stuff better, and take it anyway),

I play for free, I play for me... In a band or not, I still have my guitar and all the goodies that go with it. My point being, I still play.

Let him keep his share, drink his share, whatever he wants.

Good Luck! - Peace!
Last edited by tahwnikcufos at Jan 28, 2009,
A band is a business, basically. Businesses have their own money that's separate from the owners' personal income. Whatever money the owners take out of the business is considered an expense. If you take all the money the band makes and divided it equally, the band will broke. And when there's other band expenses to pay for (t-shirts, gas to get to shows, etc), the individual members would have to finance it with their own personal money. When the band isn't making a lot of money and everyone has another job and can contribute equally, this can work, but when more money and bigger expenses come in, things will get complicated and there will be arguments. It's best to just open a separate bank account and treat the band like a business from the beginning.

Explain that to your drummer, and if he still disagrees, do the 50/50 split someone else mentioned (half goes to the band, the other half is divided among members). In business terms that's pretty much the same as taking out a salary as a business expense.
A few thoughts on this...

1. Yes, your band is a business. You NEED to reinvest in it to some degree to keep it afloat. You NEED to cover your expenses.

2. Is the drummer a co-owner of the band or is he merely an employee?

If he is a co-owner, he needs to be equally liable for all expenses incurred by the band - and in return, equally entitled to all gains earned by the band.

If he is an employee, you pay him and tell him what to do. He has no say in how the band operates, but has no liability or receives no gains towards the future of the band beyond his agreed-upon wage.

3. If he wants to be a co-owner and draw his money too, then he will need to be asked to pay up whenever there are band expenses, while the rest of you sit back and allow their share to be taken from the band fund. I have a feeling that the idea will suddenly look less appealing to him from that angle.

Our band doesn't make that much money, and we all have decent jobs, so we don't depend on the money to live off of. Given that, *everything* the band earns goes into a band account. As a result, we have a hobby that we never have to dip into our own pockets to participate in. We have enough money in our account to pay for the manufacturing of our next CD. Everybody is happy.

It started off, a few months into the project, that we each kicked in $300 of our own money to press the first CD and buy some merch. Once we started selling discs and stuff, we paid ourselves back, and the band has been financially self-supporting ever since.

We had a guy quit a little over a year ago. We gave him 25% of the band money and 25% of the remaining merch. Essentially, we bought out his share. It was pretty easily negotiated. You have to think of those things.

What if he quits? What if the band breaks up?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.