I can't understand why http://www.blender.com/guide/articles.aspx?id=466 rates Emerson, Lake & Palmer as the 2nd worst band of all time. I only discovered them lately and I think that it is some of the most interesting music I have ever listened to. Lake's lyrics have a certain poetic quality, Palmer's drumming has this lo-fi recorded sound to them that works perfectly with the sparotic style that he seems to play over a more typical rock drum beat (which is a welcomed change over most of my collection) and not to mention Emerson's keyboard lines which don't need any praise. But one site I can take but there are others that seem to represent and entire group of ELP haters (one of them said they formed out of the dregs of King Crimson and Yes, I don't think any of ELP were from Yes and I think Yes were still going for the entire of ELP's life and beyond, if I'm right that person was probably just an idiot). I seriously don't understand why people would hate ELP, I could maybe understand not wanting to listen to them cause your not a big fan but to actually hate them, I don't understand. If there are any ELP haters out there please enlighten me on what you find so objectionable. I won't flame you. I like ELP you all know that so your not going to convince me. I just want to know... really.
Ben Pazolli
-----------------------
Epiphone Dot Studio
VOX Valvetronix VD-30AD
VOX V847 WAH-WAH Pedal
Boss Loop Station RC-2
-----------------------
"The nicest guy you'll ever f............ind"
I agree, songs liek Tarkus are brilliant. This really does sadden me that someone could be this ignorant to write this
lol i know a lot of people who hate elp, and cant understand it. its probably just that theyre TOO progressive for most people. i love stuff like tarkus and brain salad surgery, but most people i kno would rather kill themselves than listen to it
the face that launched a thousand frames, betrayed by a porcelain tear, a stained career! you've played this scene before.

welcome back to the circus
i always use the cue sheets, but never the nets,
Quote by DaFjory
I listed to Brain Salad Surgery and I thought it sucked. Based on that, yeah I hate them.

Great, but do you know why? I would love to hear why. Otherwise I might just go off and create a band that annoys you and the majority for the exact same reason, still not realizing why.
Ben Pazolli
-----------------------
Epiphone Dot Studio
VOX Valvetronix VD-30AD
VOX V847 WAH-WAH Pedal
Boss Loop Station RC-2
-----------------------
"The nicest guy you'll ever f............ind"
I don't get why people hate them. Personally i love them.

Well, maybe it's because they just are too progressive.
People would rather hear someone masturbate with a guitar than with a keyboard. I don't even really see how they were extremely pretentious. Pink Floyd 73-79 were much more self important than ELP ever was.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
There sound, from what my friend Peter's shoved down my throat, seems too organ-heavy and not colorful for my taste. Not bad players, though.
Quote by bearded_monkey
Everytime I go into the guitar shop and ask for a G-String the shopkeeper always makes that TERRIBLE joke about it not being an underwear shop

So next time I go in I'm gonna ask for a thong
I think they're all great players. But in my opinion, they write really boring songs.
There's my way and the wrong way.
bpazolli The article is not a joke - ELP fucking blows and everyone with taste knows it. That's why they're an inside joke - duh. You idiots are talking into a vacuum - just like a concert for Rush or ELP - ALL guys that get no pussy talking about how skilled the playing of these bands are. LAME!!!
ITS been years since this posted and hopefully since then you've learned why ELP fucking blows and are hated by anyone with any taste in music. They are the antithesis of a tight,. slimmed down, clear groove, with a defined sound. They are the kings of self indulgent, shitty white people music that is unlistenable. for most people - music needs to have a message, a theme, an attitude - ELP's attitude is "look at how well I can play this unlistenable 22 minute song that will never get radio play", If you don't understand what I mean, or feel ELP is still defendable - Start with the Velvet Underground, separately) NICO solo LP, Then Iggy and the Stooges, New York Dolls, The Ramones, then The Sex Pistols. After you get here, You now will have transcended The Beatles, hippie rock, classic rock greats, and understand Where in the Hell Nirvana came from. Your entire life will be changed and it has nothing to do with the lameness of RUSH or ELP type bands that lack all the literary themes,, and sex, drugs and rock and roll. Your mind will expand without drugs, you will be filled with more confidence and you will touch creative levels you never knew existed within yourself. This is the holy pilgrimage.

If you're not interested in any of that or don't understand what is appealing about it - YOU DON'T LIKE ROCK - YOU LIKE PROGRESSIVE COCK ROCK. music sounds like its been created by 8 male virgins that go to seminary and play every Saturday for 2000 dudes. That's ELP and Rush music - its fucking shit and you should be embarrassed to admit it. WHITE TOAST SELF INDULGENT BULLSHIT - "what a bass riff man" gimme a break.

If you really want to blow your mind - Listen to Tribe Called Quest ; Midnight Marauders and Low end theory. You CAN'T LIKE HIPHOP if you like ELP, its not possible - You're way too SQUARE - That's the ELP/RUSH? thing - IT SQUARE! Its the Monkeys if they were musical virtuoso without any talent to make a pop tune.
But - you will love Tribe after you study this musical journey - PAVEMENT and Sonic Youth would be next. After all these you will have normalized your white toast , terrible taste in music - and it won't be embarrassing for girls when you talk music anymore. This stuff is ALL sexy - ELP is NOT!!!!
Good luck!
You don't need to report back about the results - I already knwo what this corrective medicine will do. Its never too late to develop good taste!