OK, I've been doing some thinking (while not plotting ways to get my loser uncle laid) and I've decided I'd like to go to university in the US or Canada. Reasons for this being:
- academic (even if I was to come back to Australia/NZ to work, which I plan to do, just the fact that I went away somewhere would make me look better no matter how lame the uni is in the scheme of things)
- gets me away from my parents (they're loaded but we don't get on much)
- guitar stuff is cheaper over there

I'm planning to do Economics and/or Political Science and maybe go to law school after that.

So, does anyone have any good advice as to where I should go? My high school marks were only average (I passed, but not with a whole lot to spare). Also, what would I need to do before and while applying (extra exams, SATs etc)?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
What university you will be going to should ultimately depend on what you want to do after you graduate.
ACT. If you have no idea where to go, an SAT and an ACT both would be a good idea.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

You should come to University of Ottawa with me . Probably the most awesome university in Canada from what I've seen, though I'm in for mechanical engineering.

EDIT - No SATs in Canada!
By reading this magnificently and wonderful, adjective-filled signature, you have just wasted approximately 7 seconds of your life.
Last edited by adamungar1 at Jan 28, 2009,
Quote by Mad Marius
What university you will be going to should ultimately depend on what you want to do after you graduate.

I'm not really sure yet. I'd like to be a writer or a journalist (particularly a music or sports journo) but I don't know how easy it's gonna be to get a job there, so I'm keeping law as a future backup.
This also assuming that music doesn't work out for me, so I'd like to go somewhere with a decent music scene (indie/punk/alternative, that is) so I was looking at Portland State University and University of British Columbia, and others down the West Coast cause from what I've heard from people I know, the further east you go the more it all becomes about gangsta rap and emo.

And to the guy who said to do an ACT; what is that?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
I'm not really sure yet. I'd like to be a writer or a journalist (particularly a music or sports journo) but I don't know how easy it's gonna be to get a job there, so I'm keeping law as a future backup.
This also assuming that music doesn't work out for me, so I'd like to go somewhere with a decent music scene (indie/punk/alternative, that is) so I was looking at Portland State University and University of British Columbia, and others down the West Coast cause from what I've heard from people I know, the further east you go the more it all becomes about gangsta rap and emo.

Is a standardized test. Austin, Texas (UT) has a decent music scene, surprisingly enough.

Writer or journalist? What happened to Econ/Poli Sci?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by shadow__666

....It gets pretty fucking gangsta down the West Coast...

And the ACT is this.
I've heard that UC Santa Cruz in California is notorious for accepting a lot of B average students. It's in a surf-town, and liberalism is like cancer over there. Public transportation is free there if you're a student. The campus is very nice. Trees everywhere. It's also about 45 minutes from San Francisco.

Otherwise, if you want to set your goals extremely high, Harvard or Stanford would be a good choice.